Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we need a signer at all GOV announcements?

Options
  • 22-12-2020 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Is it a WOKE thing that we need a signer at every press conference?
    Do sub-titles not work or are there a lot of deaf people who cannot read?
    Just wondering like...

https://t.co/YYqGprOD9w?amp=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

They've always been there. Long before woke people like you came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

We need a singer to cheer us up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Just wondering like...

The obsession on here with that word continues.

Sign language is the first language of some Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

We need a singer to cheer us up

179df11cd62e02cbbc989e827e68169d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I'd question why there is a signer but no Irish translator there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I’d go a step further and get rid of the microphones too. Can hearing people not read subtitles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Just wondering like...

I don't think you actually know what the term 'woke' means.

Also, the state of you giving out about a service for the deaf.

.anon. wrote: »
    The obsession on here with that word continues.

Sign language is the first language of some Irish people.

So is Irish

So is Irish

And we have entire news bulletins in Irish for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It’s a legal requirement under the Irish Sign Language Act 2017 to provide public services in ISL. Plus the Act recognises ISL as the “native language” of its users.

From a purely technical point of view, it’s probably much cheaper, easier and more accurate to have a human standing there signing at a live event than to have a system where someone has to physically type or automatically generates subtitles in real time.

I know the OP just wants to dismiss any accommodation or concession to any marginal or minority group a “woke”, which is quite sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The signer is in shot for any time the clip is used; arranging subtitle insertion to every potential platform would be an utter nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

You think that's bad? They have to have two up north, a Protestant one and a Catholic one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The Healy Rae's should have their own personal signer ,anyway to answer your questionI suspect the signer for all government announcements is to facilitate sections of society who need the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Reading at speed is not an easy skill for people born with have profound hearing loss to acquire. Why does it bother you that deaf people are delivered the same information as you at the same time?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sky King wrote: »
    You think that's bad? They have to have two up north, a Protestant one and a Catholic one.

The ISL/BSL comprehension split is not that clear either.

They're different languages entirely, signing is not translating English to signals and it turned out that ISL and BSL were developed seperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Some people here have obviously never watched live subtitles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Some people here have obviously never watched live subtitles.

Funniest thing I ever was the lad signing the Inbetweeners, signing Jay motorboating a MILF was comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I'd question why there is a signer but no Irish translator there

I think you mean interpreter, not translator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Sky King wrote: »

Use the wrong one in the wrong company and instead of getting kneecapped, you get your fingers broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

deafness is a thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Collie D wrote: »
    I’d go a step further and get rid of the microphones too. Can hearing people not read subtitles?

Sure the lights could be turned off too so everyone just sees the subtitles. Would it be woke to consider the visually impaired or illiterate? Surely we can't have that!

Of all the things to get worked up over this year, it's rather sad that someone hones in on public announcements around the pandemic being accessible to as many people as possible.

The desperation to decry "Woke" is worse than the bastardisation of the word itself. It would be easier if we could get everyone to follow the bloody advice and let us get on with our lives as best as possible before we all crack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Just wondering like...

Is woke not a sad joke

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

L1011 wrote: »
    The ISL/BSL comprehension split is not that clear either.

They're different languages entirely, signing is not translating English to signals and it turned out that ISL and BSL were developed seperately.

Is there such a thing as accents in sign language? Like in different parts of the country do they have slightly different hand movements or speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Is there such a thing as accents in sign language? Like in different parts of the country do they have slightly different hand movements or speed?

yeah, some deaf people can develop quirks or hand movements between different social groupings - just like hearing people, there is slang too and neologisms

Sign Languages are full and complete languages and have the same make-up and things as any spoken language.

My cousin is one of the Govt signers, we're all very proud of his new-found fame this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There will be dialects yes But they record and transmit what is being said so that rules that out anyways ...

No, I'm sure ISL is national langauge, their is no accent. Only hand and face signals. I done an ISL course last year as part of my job, and I must admit it was probably one of the best courses I did in years. Where I have just basic ISL learning I love watching them signing on the news, knowing I can catch some of what there saying because the are fluent with their signing.
    In regards to the OP I curious as to why this should even be a post? What were you hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭OldRio

He was hoping for attention. Which he obtained. It's all rather sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Kylta wrote: »
    No, I'm sure ISL is national langauge, their is no accent. Only hand and face signals.

there are definitely accents in all SLs

However, there will also be a standard that any public signers will use so everyone can understand.

Same as you never really hear a hearing newsreader start off the news with "stoooryyy buds, heyor's de newis tenigh'" or someone that speaks like a Healy-Rae presenting the weather.

People do have those accents, but they are never used by people delivering announcements in an official capacity, because people who do use those accents can also understand a more neutral standard.

(note, I attach no judgement to the accents, nor do I used the word "standard" in anything other than a technical sense)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Kylta wrote: »
    No, I'm sure ISL is national langauge, their is no accent. Only hand and face signals.

https://www.handspeak.com/study/index.php?id=3

“ Does a signer have an accent in their sign language? Yes, definitely. How they "pronounce" or utter can convey some characteristics of their signing. Some native deaf signers, especially those from native-signing Deaf families, can finely detect whether a signer is a native signer, an interpreter, or a post-lingual learner. Furthermore, some can sharply detect whether a signer is hearing or deaf, even if they are fluent. Hearing signers have a certain accent. It is rare that signing of a fluent hearing signer looks like that of a native Deaf signer. “

• Advertisement

Oink wrote: »
    https://www.handspeak.com/study/index.php?id=3

“ Does a signer have an accent in their sign language? Yes, definitely. How they "pronounce" or utter can convey some characteristics of their signing. Some native deaf signers, especially those from native-signing Deaf families, can finely detect whether a signer is a native signer, an interpreter, or a post-lingual learner. Furthermore, some can sharply detect whether a signer is hearing or deaf, even if they are fluent. Hearing signers have a certain accent. It is rare that signing of a fluent hearing signer looks like that of a native Deaf signer. “

Thank you for that bit of knowledge, but the instructor never elaborated on accents within in the deaf culture. Maybe the course was to short (actually it was just basic stuff,)

Advertisement