Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Asylum Seeker Fraud

Options
  • 22-12-2020 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭

A man who fraudulently claimed over €65,000 in social welfare payments and was detected using facial-imaging technology has been given a three and half year suspended sentence.

Mohammed Hamad (37) of The Elm, Parkview, Stepaside, Dublin pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to 10 sample charges of theft of rent allowance, job seekers allowance and basic supplementary allowance on dates between May 2009 and October 2013.

He also pleaded guilty to two charges of using a false document. He has no previous convictions.

The court heard that Hamad took over the lease of a dry cleaning business in 2013 and soon stopped claiming the welfare he was not entitled to.

Judge Martin Nolan said Hamad adopted a new identity on arriving into this country to claim money he was not entitled to.

Hamad initially sought asylum in England before moving on to Ireland, where he was refused asylum. He left again but returned to Ireland in 2009 under the false identity which he later claimed the welfare payments under.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/social-welfare-fraudster-detected-using-facial-imaging-tech-1054037.html

People have been jailed for far less in this country. No restitution to the state, costs of investigation, trial etc. What a joke of a country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Smells like a “Current Affair”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Moved to Current Affiars as its more suitable here. Please take note of local charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

‘Suspended sentence’

Any chance of a deportation Helen McEntee? Or prison while we wait for his deportation? Or take steps to get some of the €65K and legal fees back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

KevRossi wrote: »
    ‘Suspended sentence’

Any chance of a deportation Helen McEntee? Or prison while we wait for his deportation? Or take steps to get some of the €65K and legal fees back?

Ah Kev its Christmas in Ireland sure, citizenship, a free house and dole, now off you go you cheeky scamp. The rest of ye get back to work and then straight home ye filthy spreaders. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I often wonder - do we have enough hi-tech checks at airports?

Are we scanning passports at airports? I see this done at other airports, is it done here?

Do we have a database of arrivals and departures?

It seems that many of these crimes could be prevented by ICT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Smells like a “Current Affair”.

You've been told many times, you can simply not look. You clearly hate this place passionately, and have a deep desire to see it shut down, yet you still come here regularly, and spend much of your posting time moaning about this place.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Geuze wrote: »

Are we scanning passports at airports? I see this done at other airports, is it done here?

To answer myself, to be fair, he was caught by facial-imaging technology, fair enough.

Can we have this in every DSP office?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yes to the middle two. Don't know if you'd call it high tech though.

We are constantly told that AS are fleeing persecution.

The truth is many arrive from the UK.

And yet people want to give these criminals own-door housing?

If I know this, and it is the truth, I often wonder why TDs, senators, don't know it?

They seem blinded by ideology.

I support capitalism, but I know well its limits and costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Deport ASAP please and bank account raided to return stolen funds from the Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Soft touch Republic strikes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭monseiur

Just to be clear - he wasn't an illegal immigrant he was an asylum seeker.
    We only get asylum seekers here in Ireland and they all come from war torn countries !! and once established here their extended families are allowed in.
    Funny enough when their nationality is established it turns out there's no war in their country !
    Their command of the english language is pretty good but for some reason the word 'work' is alien to them, especially those who come from Africa....and they never get around to learning it. Perhaps our over generous welfare system has something to do with it, free house, free medical, free education And they are adept at playing the racist card, if you look sideways at them you're in trouble.
    And, as this case proves they are above the law, unlike the rest of us who's taxes are paying for their legal fees and all other privilege's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/social-welfare-fraudster-detected-using-facial-imaging-tech-1054037.html

People have been jailed for far less in this country. No restitution to the state, costs of investigation, trial etc. What a joke of a country.

Not defending the chancer but from the article...

He now has eight branches of the shop in the country and by the end of January next he will have re-paid €35,000 of the money he had stolen.
    He sentenced Hamad to three and half years in prison which he suspended in full on condition that within three years he will have paid the outstanding amount, of €30,000 to the State.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭soso02

You'll find the indigenous peoples of Ireland are notorious for bogus social welfare claims.
    Families in receipt in SUSI funding who could well afford to send their children to college but are privy to the inner workings of the assessment process.
    Many people in receipt of PUP since March who are insulted by the suggestion that they should be actively seeking employment.
    Many suspended cases have been dished out to Irish citizens caught evading tax/making false social welfare claims.
    Why then OP is your gripe particular to the asylum seekers ? I believe we should be asking why these supports are easily available in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

TomTomTim wrote: »
    You've been told many times, you can simply not look. You clearly hate this place passionately, and have a deep desire to see it shut down, yet you still come here regularly, and spend much of your posting time moaning about this place.

I posted that in “After Hours”, before the thread was moved. Do keep up.

You’re the only one I hear talking about “shutting this place down”. I have told you, repeatedly, that it would be a disaster if this forum were closed and I have been consistent with that in the “Feedback” thread.

So, please, get your facts rights and stop with the insolence, pal. I’ve had enough of your “guff”, if you don’t like what I have to say then go ahead and hit the “ignore” button. Would be nice to be shot of you.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

soso02 wrote: »
    You'll find the indigenous peoples of Ireland are notorious for bogus social welfare claims.
    Families in receipt in SUSI funding who could well afford to send their children to college but are privy to the inner workings of the assessment process.
    Many people in receipt of PUP since March who are insulted by the suggestion that they should be actively seeking employment.
    Why then OP is your gripe particular to the asylum seekers ?

My objection to allowing in these scammers is the same as why we don't need to be allowing in violent scumbags. Just because we have a local collection of both doesn't mean we have to add to the numbers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Isn't it funny how with all major sects there are certain stereotypes that largely ring true: Protestant: Work Ethic/Dourness, Catholicism: A certain fecklessness and Joie De Vive, Judaism: Financially aware/capable.

With Islam it's fast becoming: Dole cheats, gang rapists, backward, wants 25 prayer breaks during the working day....

Mod: Banned

From 1st January Ireland is joining the EU police database so all passports scanned will now be checked against other EU countries databses on arrival at the airport, the same whenever a name is checked in PULSE.

Apparently we didn't have the money to join after the financial crisis

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1218/1185318-eu-security-system/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

From 1st January Ireland is joining the EU police database so all passports scanned will now be checked against other EU countries databses on arrival at the airport, the same whenever a name is checked in PULSE.

Apparently we didn't have the money to join after the financial crisis

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1218/1185318-eu-security-system/

What financial crisis ? The banks were never bailed out !!

monseiur wrote: »
    Just to be clear - he wasn't an illegal immigrant he was an asylum seeker.
    We only get asylum seekers here in Ireland and they all come from war torn countries !! and once established here their extended families are allowed in.
    Funny enough when their nationality is established it turns out there's no war in their country !
    Their command of the english language is pretty good but for some reason the word 'work' is alien to them, especially those who come from Africa....and they never get around to learning it. Perhaps our over generous welfare system has something to do with it, free house, free medical, free education And they are adept at playing the racist card, if you look sideways at them you're in trouble.
    And, as this case proves they are above the law, unlike the rest of us who's taxes are paying for their legal fees and all other privilege's

The most hilarious part of it all is, after they play the game here and attain the coveted asylum status/leave to remain, what do they do? Go on holidays of course. But where do they go? Sunny Spain? The Algarve? Nope straight back to the "war torn" place they left sans documents in apparrent fear of their life.

• Advertisement

, Catholicism: A certain fecklessness and Joie De Vive,

Lol.

The rest of your post is just rubbish

bubblypop wrote: »
    Lol.

The rest of your post is just rubbish

Yeah, none of us have ever heard any of those stereotypes or found them to be apt of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭monseiur

He now has eight branches of the shop in the country and by the end of January next he will have re-paid €35,000 of the money he had stolen.
    He sentenced Hamad to three and half years in prison which he suspended in full on condition that within three years he will have paid the outstanding amount, of €30,000 to the State.

Wow I'm really impressed, he should be nominated for a 'People of the Year' award.
    The €65,000 is less than 20% of what he cost us, the taxpayer.
    There's the cost of the social welfare officers investigating the case, the cost of the Garda, the cost of bringing the case to court, the cost of his legal fees, the cost of collecting the money he fraudulently claimed etc. etc.
    I have no doubt that, being such an honest man, he's tax compliant in his business - is he trading under his original name or one of his bogus names ???

Yeah, none of us have ever heard any of those stereotypes or found them to be apt of course.

Nope, they are not even slightly true, particularly the Catholic one!
    Joie de vie ..... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

What I don't understand is how he managed to open multiple branches and still the amounts owed are not paid back, he must pay 10k before the end of January and the remainder owed over time.

If he is running 8 businesses, how many were started with state funding ?, why can't the court make him sign over all profits until all the money's are repaid....and why didn't it happen before this matter came to court, it would appear to have happened 6yrs ago, he was allowed to build multiple businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Hamachi

bubblypop wrote: »
    Nope, they are not even slightly true, particularly the Catholic one!
    Joie de vie ..... Lol

Care to comment on the blatant subversion of the asylum process, defrauding the exchequer, and the inherent weakness of the Irish immigration system that fails to remove an egregiously illegal applicant?

‘Course not. Deflect, divert, derail as usual..

Hamachi wrote: »
    Care to comment on the blatant subversion of the asylum process, defrauding the exchequer, and the inherent weakness of the Irish immigration system that fails to remove an egregiously illegal applicant?

‘Course not. Deflect, divert, derail as usual..

You need to know my thoughts on the crime here?
    Ok, sure, if it means so much to you.
    A crime should always be investigated and whoever is responsible be held to account.
    Being brought to court and convicted is justice.
    And how do You know that this man is not going to be deported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

How is he working here? In what way, shape or form, could he have been given permission to work??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Hamachi

If he is running 8 businesses, how many were started with state funding ?, why can't the court make him sign over all profits until all the money's are repaid....and why didn't it happen before this matter came to court, it would appear to have happened 6yrs ago, he was allowed to build multiple businesses.

I would love these questions answered too. Where’s the accountability in this case?

Ultimately, how is this man permitted to remain in Ireland given his track record? It makes a mockery of the concept of a functioning immigration system.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭soso02

Isn't it funny how with all major sects there are certain stereotypes that largely ring true: Protestant: Work Ethic/Dourness, Catholicism: A certain fecklessness and Joie De Vive, Judaism: Financially aware/capable.

With Islam it's fast becoming: Dole cheats, gang rapists, backward, wants 25 prayer breaks during the working day....

Horrible ****

Mods will tolerate the grossly inaccurate generalization made here ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement