Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the best/worst Tin for Christmas?

Options
  • 21-12-2020 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Chocolates or Biscuits, which one changed the most for the worst/best?
    I always loved the Roses and McVities Victoria. Then pass out on the couch while Die Hard is on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Quality Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Roses are muck compared to Quality Street

Heroes and celebrations can shag off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Beans. They're so weekday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lizzy.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Quality Street should be done by the advertising standards authority. Pure cooking chocolate crap.

Anything from Lindt- especially the white ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

They've all gone to crap. It's quantity over quality now, German own brand stuff is everybit as good as the mainstream brand names.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

colm_mcm wrote: »

neither are much cop these days

we go into M+S once per year and get proper belgian or swiss boxes of sweets , sure we dont get as much but its quality unlike Quality Street

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

USA! USA! USA!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Heroes, absolutely everything you need.

Worst- Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

Lemons sweets, but you can’t bloody get them anywhere.

Oh, and Foxes for bisquits.

• Advertisement

Mcvities moments biscuits.....may not be able to eat for rest of this year after having too many today

Worst: celebrations,its like a selection box,except worse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They've all gone to crap. It's quantity over quality now, German own brand stuff is everybit as good as the mainstream brand names.

Yeh, better off just going into Aldi and buying those bars that are split in to five (I think it is) and putting them into a box. Especially the white chocolate one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Quality street have a new sweet this year that is actually amazing - it’s called caramel brownie or something like that. There was only one of them though!
    Lemons sweets were always rank I think - esp the jellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Any 80s babies remember the selectoon boxes from back in the day, when the Curly Wurly bars were at least a metre long! Now i wouldnt give the current selection boxes to my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Any 80s babies remember the selectoon boxes from back in the day, when the Curly Wurly bars were at least a metre long! Now i wouldnt give the current selection boxes to my dog.

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, isn't it? Just as well so.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Ordinarily i'd say whichever tin the biscuits with the jelly came in.

There wasn't enough outrage when they were removed. We should really have been protesting in the streets at that travesty of a decision.

YellowLead wrote: »
    Lemons sweets were always rank I think - esp the jellies.

:eek: Sacrilege. I don’t think there were jellies in the box I’m thinking of. They were mostly toffees. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The sickly sweet muck from that US conglomerate Mondelez.

trashcan wrote: »
    :eek: Sacrilege. I don’t think there were jellies in the box I’m thinking of. They were mostly toffees. Yum.

There were - see them on the top right of the box picture...they were vile. But some of the toffees were good you are right, think there was a licquorice one.
    https://www.planetcandy.ie/lemons-seasons-greetings-750g

I remember one year in the early 90s they came with tapes of Christmas songs, I think it was the Rowntree one not the Cadbury one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

U can't beat a big box of Emeralds, can't over eat them bcoz u get tired chewing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Fox's chocolate biscuit tin is jolly nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

The tins aren't tins anymore. They are round tubs of plastic and everything inside them is terrible tack.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

fussyonion wrote: »
    Quality Street.

Quality Street should be done by the advertising standards authority. Pure cooking chocolate crap.

Anything from Lindt- especially the white ones

I would always have went QS in the past. As Roses went to **** years ago. Had some QS this year and yep - they went the same way too.

All the MST (Mainstream Tins) of chocolate are sh!te these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, isn't it? Just as well so.

yep - so the dog would be perfectly safe these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Fox's chocolate biscuit tin is jolly nice.

That would be my runner up

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

All welcomed here... ;)

YellowLead wrote: »
    There were - see them on the top right of the box picture...they were vile. But some of the toffees were good you are right, think there was a licquorice one.
    https://www.planetcandy.ie/lemons-seasons-greetings-750g

Honestly have no memory of jellies in the box. Just remember the toffees and the hard sweets. I likes a nice toffee :)

Foxes biscuits and Heroes for sweets. Unless you’re going fancier, by which you can go to near any levels you want, but they’re the best of the normal ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

They have been devalued to death. Once was a time when each house had one tin of sweets. They were a rare treat, well made and loved.

Now because the half filled box retails at about €3, every fecker picks up half a dozen boxes, each one filled with low grade chocolates, and they get gifted around until everyone ends up with the six they bought back. No one enjoys them, they induce nausea just looking at them and they become a chore to finish.

Would've been better if they made the sweets higher quality, even at higher price so you could still enjoy them as a rare treat.

Haven't eaten one and likely won't eat one this year.

Advertisement