Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real world men dying their hair?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

https://youtu.be/3AY5IZR8i7I

He must have gone for the aul spraypaint back and sides

• Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Homelander wrote: »
    Dyed hair looks fine. The problem is when men dye it printer-ink black like the OP is saying, it looks silly and not at all realistic.

8509e5cc46911c38ec54a81227ccde37

AMKC wrote: »
    Lol.

Or maybe they are just more in touch with there feelings and feminine side than you are and might even make great fathers.

There is an easy solution instead of just dieing your hair get it cut short and get a wig if your too cold.

Any man that dyes his hair should not be allowed father children.
    He'll be doing his roots when he should be teaching his son manly stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

it's the modern man unfortunately, weak and effeminate.
    Look at them walking around in jeans that look like girls tights,
    dyed hair and fake teeth it's embarrassing.

Not as embarrassing as a being a judgemental complainer on the internet.

Tight jeans - who really cares - its fashion and every generation has fell to its charms.

Any man that dyes his hair should not be allowed father children.
    He'll be doing his roots when he should be teaching his son manly stuff

yeah - like giving dem bitches a talking to when the dinner isn't on the table at 5 o'clock

• Advertisement

km991148 wrote: »
    yeah - like giving dem bitches a talking to when the dinner isn't on the table at 5 o'clock

Dats what I'm talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

there's a fella i know of, not well and don't see very often, but his hair colour regularly changes different shades of dirty, rusty brown. It is glaringly, obviously a diy job, done really badly. like he rushed it in the morning before work.

he doesn't need to dye his hair, but fine if he wants to - just do it properly?

assuming he looks in the mirror, how can he think damn, that's a great job, i look 10 years younger and foxy as hell.

I'm tempted to a quiet word and say, fella, you're making a dogs bollox of your hair and you look like a complete tool. but really, shouldn't his wife or family or close friends do that?

ablelocks wrote: »

I'm tempted to a quiet word and say, fella, you're making a dogs bollox of your hair and you look like a complete tool.

Please do.. but also - please do come back and tell us how that went!

ablelocks wrote: »
    there's a fella i know of, not well and don't see very often, but his hair colour regularly changes different shades of dirty, rusty brown. It is glaringly, obviously a diy job, done really badly. like he rushed it in the morning before work.

he doesn't need to dye his hair, but fine if he wants to - just do it properly?

assuming he looks in the mirror, how can he think damn, that's a great job, i look 10 years younger and foxy as hell.

I'm tempted to a quiet word and say, fella, you're making a dogs bollox of your hair and you look like a complete tool. but really, shouldn't his wife or family or close friends do that?

They might not know any better themselves.
    Step up, he'll thank you.

They might not know any better themselves.
    Step up, he'll thank you.

Its true - they might not know - might not be able to see all the bad bits - we are very good at deceiving ourselves.

But Jesus - thats a very delicate thing to approach, the Irish (assuming) don't always appreciate the direct approach and the guy is already very sensitive about it - good luck!

Edit - you alo remind me about another crime against style with regards to mens hair - the amount of people that don't know where a beard should begin and end (the neckline). The amount of people I see where they trim it to the jaw line and not the neck line - I think that looks mad.

If you read this and you do that, then here is a random article form the internet.
    https://www.birchbox.com/guide/article/how-to-trim-and-fade-your-beard-neckline

Or just run your finger from your chin, under the jaw. When you touch neck, cut.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

RandRuns wrote: »
    I've a friend who, when he went gray, went completely gray at the sides, while the rest stayed black. We called him Paulie until he finally had the sense to dye it.

Well that’s disappointing. I was hoping he “had the sense” to tell everybody to gfy or shave his head and be done with it.

EDIT: But like I said earlier, whatever gets you through the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

RandRuns wrote: »
    I've a friend who, when he went gray, went completely gray at the sides, while the rest stayed black. We called him Paulie until he finally had the sense to dye it.

He should have told ye ta get ta f**k. Paulie was the only lad that survived in that show.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    He should have told ye ta get ta f**k. Paulie was the only lad that survived in that show.

I could never watch him with out thinking Charlie Nicholas. Paulie commentating on Scottish Football - would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I wonder on what basis could spout out what appears to be a completely arbitrary figure of "at least 95%" as having badly dyed hair? Especially given that well done jobs that are indistinguishable from non dyed hair to the naked eye may represent more than 5% of men with dyed hair. Are the well done but apparently dyed hair jobs 2%, 4% or 5%? How are these figures being compiled and how do they stack up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I know someone who has been grey since his early 20's & his wife keeps slagging saying he should dye it. I don't know if she's serious but I couldn't imagine him with any other colour hair. He's in his late 30's now & he'd look ridiculous. The colour his hair is suits him.

I think it suits men when they start greying. It's a bit more mature looking

• Registered Users Posts: 81,534 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In a quiz I would have a pass rate of 90+% knowing if it's Valspar or natural hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I use Just for Men on the old pubis area. And on the barnet, chest, and arse hair. Not cheap.
    The aul mortgage is in arrears at this stage because of it, but I’m fighting off the young wans.

M

KungPao wrote: »
    I use Just for Men on the old pubis. And on the barnet, chest, and arse hair. Not cheap.
    The aul mortgage is in arrears at this stage because of it, but I’m fighting off the young wans.

Some things you can't put a price on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Out of curiousity how do Hollywood actors manage to dye the hair but not come off as so obvious?

or is it a case of if you saw them in person and not through a lens you'd see?
    Like Tom Cruise doesn't have a single grey hair on this head - come on now Tom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

most woman get their hair dyed by professionals in hairdressers,they know what they are doing and use specialized products.
    some woman do it themselves and to be honest you can often spot these less professional jobs but even then most woman know what they are doing, they were probably dyeing there hair all their adult life and are pretty good at it.
    on the other hand most men who do it are too embarrassed to go to the hairdressers so they do it themselves from a packet they bought in boots. they have no idea what they are doing and it comes out looking like ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I always said I'd never dye my hair. But now that it's getting greyer and greyer... I still wouldn't dye it because it'd look ridiculous. Fair enough when you're young enough, but you end up reaching a point where you have the same problem as Marty Whelan, Philip Schofield, Brian May and Tom Jones, where your hair becomes more and more incongruous with your face, so you suddenly stop dying it and your erstwhile vanity becomes a talking point behind your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

farmchoice wrote: »
    most woman get their hair dyed by professionals in hairdressers,they know what they are doing and use specialized products.
    some woman do it themselves and to be honest you can often spot these less professional jobs but even then most woman know what they are doing, they were probably dyeing there hair all their adult life and are pretty good at it.

There was a fad for fake tans for a bit, some women you'd swear they applied it without a mirror, in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Out of curiousity how do Hollywood actors manage to dye the hair but not come off as so obvious?

Because they only go a shade or two darker. Nothing drastic. The eyelashes & eyebrows get tinted too so it all evens out & looks good.

Look at any before & afters of Hollywood men & you will see slight changes, but they can make the world of difference.
    It's why alot of women wear mascara. You might be surprised what a small eyelash tint can do for your eyes.

Prince Harry is an example. Could be just different photos but it seems like his beard is naturally more red than his hair. But on his wedding, he looked very matchy matchy.

Domhnall Gleeson is another natural red head with blonde eyelashes & fair eyebrows. He has played parts having brown hair & it still suits him. Because the lashs are tinted & the eyebrows have been darkened.

The Marty Morrissey look is when it has gone very wrong. He scares me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Constantly being asked whether I dye my hair (I don't). It's humiliating and disrespectful for a man to constantly asked this.

Dye it grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

PsychoPete wrote: »
    8509e5cc46911c38ec54a81227ccde37

Rudy-Giuliani-hair-dye-Fox-News-1120.jpg

Any why bother if you're mostly bald?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,903 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Like Tom Cruise doesn't have a single grey hair on this head - come on now Tom :pac:

Probably because ‘they’ don’t dye it. Some Hollywood salon expert charging about $400 an hour with some scientifically enhanced dye that’s about $100 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Chestnut brown seems to be the preferred man hair dye in RTE. Just take a look at Brian Dobson or Paul Reynolds for example a few years back. Not one single man on earth has ever had naturally chestnut brown hair. Ill advised they were but not too bad a look all the same.

Hands up though 🙋🏼*♀️most women I know colour their hair. Some ladies wear wigs, extensions or even fake ponytails for a multitude of reasons.

Having said that 😏 the syrup on yer man from the Seanad Cassidy totally mismatched his face.

Every time I saw him I was reminded of Micky Flanagan 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 24,903 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

it's the modern man unfortunately, weak and effeminate.
    Look at them walking around in jeans that look like girls tights,
    dyed hair and fake teeth it's embarrassing.

The overtly effeminate lads look, I dunno the look is embarrassing. Complete with the tight as **** trousers halfway up their calf muscle, no socks and shiny dressy shoes with that side sweep quiffy comb over look..

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

As long as the carpet matches the curtains.

• Advertisement
    M

As long as the carpet matches the curtains.

I think the carpet loses the colour last :pac:

Advertisement