Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real world men dying their hair?

Options
  • 21-12-2020 5:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Wtf is wrong with men dying their hair, at least 95% of examples easily resemble someone pulling in to Halford's and spraying their ultra complete shed of a car matt black.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I knew a guy called Matt Black....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

It's nearly as bad as baldy f*ckers trying to put hair back on their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Dyed mine back in April! :D

Gone grey again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I do like the completely bald on top and jet black back and sides look that some people go for.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Meh - when you reach that age I reckon it’s more a question of mental health than looks. Whatever gets them through the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Wtf is wrong with men dying their hair, at least 95% of examples easily resemble someone pulling in to Halford's and spraying their ultra complete shed of a car matt black.

According to your post, what is wrong is that they're not doing it very well.

Maybe they should get it done in a hairdressers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Vanity, pure and simple. I have no issue with blokes dyeing their hair, I do think in 99% of cases its very noticeable and looks ridiculous but sure if they are happy with it then let them off. I am now well into the salt and pepper hair color and there are a noticeable amount of greys in my beard but Id never consider dyeing it. Different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

This is like one of those sexist things we're not allowed to complain about. I don't know why, but I know I have to sit in silence until the moment passes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

TP_CM wrote: »
    This is like one of those sexist things we're not allowed to complain about. I don't know why, but I know I have to sit in silence until the moment passes.

What sexism? A bad dye job looks just as bad on a woman.

Hardly anything wrong with dying your hair, man or woman.

Doing a bad job of it and refusing to accept help? Definitely men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Depends what colour they dye it...

They same reason men scratch their balls when they get up, is the same reason they shouldn't dye their hair.
    Theyre not women.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Oink wrote: »
    What sexism? A bad dye job looks just as bad on a woman.

So the title and post should have the word 'person' instead of 'men' specifically then I suppose. If I look at the OP, I can't help but think it's just about men dying their hair rather than people in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

As opposed to make believe world men dying their hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

at about 35, 5 or so years ago I noticed a few grays, then a few more, now it seems to have stopped to the point where it’s distinguished looking I’m told, just flecks... my dad was just about completely gray at my age and silver by 50. We have photos to prove it.

Most dye jobs don’t look great, I think I’ll go the ways of the old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Strumms wrote: »
    at about 35, 5 or so years ago I noticed a few grays, then a few more, now it seems to have stopped to the point where it’s distinguished looking I’m told, just flecks... my dad was just about completely gray at my age and silver by 50. We have photos to prove it.

Where are they then?:confused: we need to see them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Homelander

Dyed hair looks fine. The problem is when men dye it printer-ink black like the OP is saying, it looks silly and not at all realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

fu(k it - why not - women do it all the time obviously, why shouldn't guys?

I think the problem is men aren't as adept at doing it and end up with a half arsed job.. but even then.. fu(k it who cares?

If I were to get upset all the time at the state of people I see in the street then Christ I would never go out.. (oh.. wait a minute..??!!) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There's very few Irish men of a greying age that will go into a barber or hairdressers and pay to get a proper job done. They're the kind who are grumbling that the barber's gone up from €12 to €15 for their quarterly trim. If they do decide to colour it, they'll do it at home with a bottle they found in Tesco, where there's a choice between "Boot Polish Black" or "Dirty Red Setter". Plus they only have Marty Morrissey as a role model, so they don't know any different.

I'd say the younger generations coming up, who have no problem spending good money every few weeks to get styled and waxed and beard-oiled and all sorts, will have no problems getting a more professional job done when they reach the age of the grey fox. So expect this to be a phenomenon that dies out (geddit???) over the next few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

A silly practice. Someone should tell these lads a man's worth isn't measured in how youthful he can appear to be. Evolution / society / the fashion industry has decided that's how a woman's value is calculated.

For men it's measured in self confidence, experience, wisdom and monetary clout. As a middle aged, balding single man, you can take my word on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Problem is that you only notice the badly done dye jobs. Or the people who don't have touch up done frequently.

Women are as bad as men in using cheap home dye and not even doing that properly.

You need to lighten the colour as you get older as your complexion changes.

Better go grey gracefully and embrace the lack of colour, than doing a poor dye.

Strumms wrote: »

it’s distinguished looking I’m told, just flecks... my dad was just about completely gray at my age and silver by 50. We have photos to prove it.

*tips fedora

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I guess it's probably because men aren't arsed sitting in the hairdressers for 3 or 4 hours and paying like 200 to get it done

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I like my grey hair cant wait till it goes totally grey

Wouldn't dream of dying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

As a guy who started to go grey quite young it never bothered me. I've seen so many bad dye jobs over the years I vowed I never go down that route. One of the things that intrigues me is that you get these guys with the most awful dyed hair, so obviously it bothers them enough to do something about it but every other aspect of their appearance screams they couldn't give a f**k. I worked with an older guy once whose hair would go from jet black to purple as it faded, everyone used to make jokes about it, though I'm sure he thought someone like me who was snow white at 40 should really be doing something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I like my grey hair cant wait till it goes totally grey

Wouldn't dream of dying it

So do I, I hate putting gel in it as it makes it look darker than it actually is prefering styling fibre or recently my barber used styling powder which made me feel like an 18th century dandy having his wig powdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Seamai wrote: »
    One of the things that intrigues me is that you get these guys with the most awful dyed hair, so obviously it bothers them enough to do something about it but every other aspect of their appearance screams they couldn't give a f**k.

Yea totally agree. Get in reasonable shape and buy some nice, properly fitting clothes and a decent haircut you'll look ten times better than any dye job.

People looking for an easy option i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I've a friend who, when he went gray, went completely gray at the sides, while the rest stayed black. We called him Paulie until he finally had the sense to dye it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

it's the modern man unfortunately, weak and effeminate.
    Look at them walking around in jeans that look like girls tights,
    dyed hair and fake teeth it's embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

it's the modern man unfortunately, weak and effeminate.
    Look at them walking around in jeans that look like girls tights,
    dyed hair and fake teeth it's embarrassing.

Lol.

Or maybe they are just more in touch with there feelings and feminine side than you are and might even make great fathers.

There is an easy solution instead of just dieing your hair get it cut short and get a wig if your too cold.

Advertisement