Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butter Vouchers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Your right. The e.c back in the day created a surplus of dairy on the European Market and rather give it to the starving children of Africa at the time they pushed us to use more amd now we have a obesity problem in the country 🀣🀣

The eu tried dumping food surpluses in africa in the 90s , it didn't go to well ( for african farmers ) , kind of wrecks any local food industry and food production system...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The really smart people didn't smoke and spent it on cans and pringles instead.

There were no Pringle here in the butter voucher days. They’re a relatively recent arrival to these shores.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

endacl wrote: »
    There were no Pringle here in the butter voucher days. They’re a relatively recent arrival to these shores.

Few bags of Ma Reilly's, a Touchdown Bar and a can of Smak.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

endacl wrote: »

Pringles are out since the late 60's, into Ireland in 1991 . I'm 37. I can remember my mate using butter voucher to get smokes from the shopvan when we were about 14

Few bags of Ma Reilly's, a Touchdown Bar and a can of Smak.

Did Smak ever do 'supercans' or was it just the American brands? What a trip down memory lane on Christmas Day.

My brother used to work in Quinnsworth and still talks about shoppers haggling over the butter vouchers with him insisting Dairygold and Stork were butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Did Smak ever do 'supercans' or was it just the American brands? What a trip down memory lane on Christmas Day.

My brother used to work in Quinnsworth and still talks about shoppers haggling over the butter vouchers with him insisting Dairygold and Stork were butter.

I remember being in a queue in a local shop as a kid in the 1980’s. There was a man in front of me who just couldn’t accept that bread, milk, tea and butter came to £4 at the time. The look of despair on his face. Butter vouchers to him would have been a lifeline. Desperate times.

Advertisement