Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butter Vouchers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I worked in a factory that used to distribute the beef . The reason it took so long to roast was because it was meant for stewing . Used to come to us frozen and we'd cut it up using a band saw . The amount that was returned to us was unbelievable , too lean , too fat , to hard to cook , could you not dice it up for me , today doesn't suit i'd prefer to have it some other day. While some people were glad of it the amount of it wasted was criminal . Although the people in the factory didn't qualify for it , because there was so much being returned and wasted we all ended up with freezer's full of it .
    Before that in the early 80's i worked in a wholesaler and publicans redeemed the vast majority of butter vouchers . Eventually the manager had to enforce the proper policy that they could only be redeemed against butter so the publicans had to start to buy butter and arrange with a shop to take it off them . This was a time when most pubs were not serving food and even if they were the vouchers were not accepted against ''catering'' packed butter .
    It was called Intervention Beef, as it was bought from the farmers and stored in vast freezing centres (chilling plants) and the EU had millions of tons of it, due to over production. That also applied to wine, cheeses and olive oil as there were grants available to increase production and Europe soon had vast stocks of those products. Huge amounts of the stuff were dumped, as they couldnt all be stored or shipped out. There was a huge amount of scamming going on,with the Mafia profitting hugely with olive oil and wine production in Italy. The stuff was being given away to Eastern European countries for free and one of the scandals that emerged was that beef was given to the Russian Army and found to be rotten, as it had been improperly stored and had gone off,but someone had made a profit from it. Now,the average Russian conscript took a lot of abuse but this tipped the scales, so to speak and caused outrage in Russia and even made the news in the West,as the beef was found to be clearly marked with EU stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I see somebody on eBay is asking for €800 for a book of "rare butter vouchers".

Using the ‘pack of fags’ financial trading standard, that sounds about right these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I'm not old enough to remember the Butter Vouchers but I remember my father getting a huge slab of intervention Cheese given to him by a friend working in a health care facility who got more that they could use. It was maybe 2-3kgs of pure Orange processed ****e with a single big EU sticker on it. It is one of my earliest EU memories and I remember thinking there was starving people who needed this, many years later on Brexit would I smile as the 4th Reich got a bloody nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The Butter Vouchers were just to get rid of the Butter Mountain (the large oversupply of butter that existed because of EEC/EU Common Agricultural Policy at the time). It wasn't a case that anyone thought that people on low income particularly needed butter, it was more that there was a vast amount of it sitting in expensive storage that no-one had any use for, so they may as well give it away. There was a wine lake, cheese mountain and a milk lake too. Probably a chocolate forest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The Butter Vouchers were just to get rid of the Butter Mountain (the large oversupply of butter that existed because of EEC/EU Common Agricultural Policy at the time). It wasn't a case that anyone thought that people on low income particularly needed butter, it was more that there was a vast amount of it sitting in expensive storage that no-one had any use for, so they may as well give it away. There was a wine lake, cheese mountain and a milk lake too. Probably a chocolate forest.

Billy Connolly: "I think it's a f**king disgrace. They have a butter mountain and they won't let people slide down it."
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    My Dad was working too but I remember people arriving at the door handing out free butter from the EEC.

Now that I think of it, I think my Mam had them in the house even though same as you, my Dad was working. Long time ago though so memory is hazy.

I recall seeing a large box of butter at a neighbour's house and it was literally a couple of cubic feet of butter. They had cut bits of and put it in the fridge and the small freezer section was crammed with it and they were giving butter away to any visitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Stovepipe wrote: »
    I recall seeing a large box of butter at a neighbour's house and it was literally a couple of cubic feet of butter. They had cut bits of and put it in the fridge and the small freezer section was crammed with it and they were giving butter away to any visitor.

Did they get that in a shop?

Dairy pushers. Common in rural Ireland in the 80s. Start you off on butter, but the aim was to get you hooked on cream. Then everyone ended up on the synthetic margarine junk.

• Advertisement

Did they get that in a shop?

They had gone to the shop with a handful of vouchers and were given a box instead of normal butter. It held about half it's capacity in butter when I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

It was called Intervention Beef, as it was bought from the farmers and stored in vast freezing centres (chilling plants) and the EU had millions of tons of it, due to over production. That also applied to wine, cheeses and olive oil as there were grants available to increase production and Europe soon had vast stocks of those products. Huge amounts of the stuff were dumped, as they couldnt all be stored or shipped out. There was a huge amount of scamming going on,with the Mafia profitting hugely with olive oil and wine production in Italy. The stuff was being given away to Eastern European countries for free and one of the scandals that emerged was that beef was given to the Russian Army and found to be rotten, as it had been improperly stored and had gone off,but someone had made a profit from it. Now,the average Russian conscript took a lot of abuse but this tipped the scales, so to speak and caused outrage in Russia and even made the news in the West,as the beef was found to be clearly marked with EU stamps.
    jaysus thats right had forgotten about the stuff to Russia . The beef here , although it was the cheaper cuts , there was nothing wrong with it and it kept many a family going in tougher times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I used to get the butter vouchers, we called them baccy vouchers due to the helpful fella in one of the local shops. There was a rumour in our village that the local priest, not liked by most, was in charge of the cheese and beef, and gave it away to the owner of of local B&B and deer farm. Maybe I've said too much? F*ck you anyway "Shameless O'D". We didn't see any of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In late 2010 in to 2011 there was cheese, pasta and butter given out - there's occasional CAP induced surpluses and that's one major way to bring it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Vita nova

It would have been nice to get wine vouchers, I would have gladly played my part in reducing the wine lake.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Vita nova wrote: »
    It would have been nice to get wine vouchers, I would have gladly played my part in reducing the wine lake.

It would have been seen as socially irresponsible of the government to give out wine voucher though 😂

It would have been seen as socially irresponsible of the government to give out wine voucher though 😂

During WWII, Russia gave troops 100ml of vodka a day as part of their rations. 22 hours after Nazi Germany surrendered in May 1945, Russia ran out of vodka due to the celebrations. Talk about a national hangover.

The EU was not so flaithulach. The wine was converted into industrial alcohol, until vineyards were eventually paid to reduce the number of vines.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

I signed on for 3 weeks in my life. It was the 90s.

Like the OP I got just over 20 quid. First week I signed on, picked up my money...and was asked did I not want the butter vouchers. No thanks you're grand.

Arrived home. Says the mother where's the butter vouchers. Says I didn't bother with them. Says she...tis the only thing you're handing up in this house. Back on the bike for a 3 mile cycle to the dole office to ask for the butter vouchers. Humiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Wasn't there a cheese mountain at some stage too?

Your right. The e.c back in the day created a surplus of dairy on the European Market and rather give it to the starving children of Africa at the time they pushed us to use more amd now we have a obesity problem in the country 🀣🀣

During WWII, Russia gave troops 100ml of vodka a day as part of their rations. 22 hours after Nazi Germany surrendered in May 1945, Russia ran out of vodka due to the celebrations. Talk about a national hangover.

The EU was not so flaithulach. The wine was converted into industrial alcohol, until vineyards were eventually paid to reduce the number of vines.

The vodka was vital to the Russian troops, at times even more so than bread or bullets.....didnt the industrial alcohol end up in the Perrier water?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Neames wrote: »
    I signed on for 3 weeks in my life. It was the 90s.

Like the OP I got just over 20 quid. First week I signed on, picked up my money...and was asked did I not want the butter vouchers. No thanks you're grand.

Arrived home. Says the mother where's the butter vouchers. Says I didn't bother with them. Says she...tis the only thing you're handing up in this house. Back on the bike for a 3 mile cycle to the dole office to ask for the butter vouchers. Humiliation.

It’s mad isn’t it, how much everything was needed. A few pence on the butter vouchers off the weekly shop and every little counted. It’s not really a very long time ago or at least it doesn’t seem long ago to me. Most days now i have a salad for tea. It was beans on toast in those days, couldn’t afford a fancy salad every day then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

You were unlucky!

Of lazy, all he had to do was go into another shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

It’s mad isn’t it, how much everything was needed. A few pence on the butter vouchers off the weekly shop and every little counted. It’s not really a very long time ago or at least it doesn’t seem long ago to me. Most days now i have a salad for tea. It was beans on toast in those days, couldn’t afford a fancy salad every day then.

Not sure exactly where you were living mate, but where I lived butter vouchers had multiple purposes, everything from buying cider to insurance discs in car windows

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

begbysback wrote: »
    Not sure exactly where you were living mate, but where I lived butter vouchers had multiple purposes, everything from buying cider to insurance discs in car windows

I remember the local shopkeeper saying on repeat for years how he was going to start only giving out butter for the vouchers, no more fags etc. Never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭touts

So in the 90’s for a summer in between two third level courses I signed on. After my parents income was means tested I got twenty something punts a week from social welfare. Thank dog for the butter vouchers though. A few pence off a tub of butter once a month or so. What was the point of them though? Why was butter so important to everyone’s diet that the government gave special money off vouchers for this product to the unemployed? Why not bread vouchers for example? When and why did these vouchers start and why did they stop? It seemed totally random to me as a young adult at the time. I was expected to live off 20 odd quid a week but at least I had plenty of butter.

They were designed to support the dairy industry. People were buying oil based products that were supposed to be healthier. Butter had a bad reputation. The Co-ops put the squeeze on the government to boost butter sales. But they had to be careful not to fall foul of european competition laws hence the welfare voucher scheme rather than direct state aid.

They don't need that support anymore because they started selling the exact same butter but with a Kerrygold brand and charged €1.50 a pack extra compared to an identical "own brand" pack beside it on the shelf. It's one of the classic marketing success stories and it saved the Irish Dairy industry. So the government stopped the vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

My Dad was laid off on the mid 80s and as he was already in his mid fifties, finding work again was not easy. He got butter vouchers but my mother actually used them for butter and used it for baking. For a time we didnt have a telly, but we always had cakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There was also the wine lake, but don't remember as wine vouchers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I worked in a factory that used to distribute the beef . The reason it took so long to roast was because it was meant for stewing . Used to come to us frozen and we'd cut it up using a band saw . The amount that was returned to us was unbelievable , too lean , too fat , to hard to cook , could you not dice it up for me , today doesn't suit i'd prefer to have it some other day. While some people were glad of it the amount of it wasted was criminal .

We got the beef and I can tell you it was greatly appreciated. My mum could make anything taste great and we never went hungry despite not having a lot of money. We snared birds and rabbits and fished and planted a lot of veg so we always had something to rely on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

try explaining all that to younger generations and they would think you had lost the plot . your father eating a boiled egg and you'd be hoping you'd be the one to get the top off it , a fry up was at christmas , beans on toast or bread and jam for your tea . there was no ''what would you like to eat'' or '' i dont want that ''. You ate what was put in front of you and if you didn't it was put in front of you again at next sitting
    some people don't realize how well of they are

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Money off vouchers were treated like gold rather than something you may or may not remember to bring with you when doing the weekly shop. It was the only time we got branded stuff rather than the supermarket brands.

Advertisement