Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Suspendeds it’s UK virtual address Dec. 28th

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Dayo93 wrote: »
    If you close your parcel motel account will they refund any credit ? Seems pointless now

Thinking the same. Tbh I mostly used it because I wasn't at home to take delivery. WFH now, so hardly used it at all. Had Prime so made no sense to use PM for UK stuff.

I think it will be still be useful as I sometimes need to buy bits and pieces from the UK not being able to find parts for stuff elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whats the deal with bread and chipper price increases ? Spuds and flour or ?

Chipper - Maris Piper spuds don't grow that well in Ireland, there aren't many available and they're dearer than UK ones. Our own spuds make decent crisps, and are OK for non-chip uses.

White flour - we've nowhere near enough milling capacity, we use UK mills

The UK on the other hand has insufficient supply of nearly everything and will be very badly hurt.

• L1011 wrote: »
    Chipper - Maris Piper spuds don't grow that well in Ireland, there aren't many available and they're dearer than UK ones. Our own spuds make decent crisps, and are OK for non-chip uses.

White flour - we've nowhere near enough milling capacity, we use UK mills

The UK on the other hand has insufficient supply of nearly everything and will be very badly hurt.

Oh joy a bag of chips will either go up in price or down in portion. Already seeing close to & over €3 in some places! You’d be mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Car99 wrote: »
    Addresspal kôln and Addresspal Paris will be on the cards surely

yeah you would imagine this is the way they will go. It will mean shipping times will be a bit longer but still better than paying VAT and customs for stuff from the UK. Though I doubt it will stay at 4.50 per use of a locker, Paris and Koln are a lot further away than Newtownabbey so I could see it rising to at least 6 euro. If Amazon are charging 8-9 euro for shipping from Germany it may not be much of a saving using Parcel Motel, it would still be handy for items that dont ship here directly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Dayo93 wrote: »
    If you close your parcel motel account will they refund any credit ? Seems pointless now

I beleive that they will have to refund any credit.

They have unilaterally changed the terms of their initial contract, that is your Parcel Motel address.

I'll be asking for my credit back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I wouldn't worry about it - a deal will be done.

All the substantive issues have been agreed and if anyone thinks a few thousand French fishermen are going to scupper this, they are dreaming.

This is all just a dance before a last-minute breakthrough is announced and rammed through just before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I wouldn't worry about it - a deal will be done.

It hard to believe that there are still people spouting this nonsense and missing the point completely. A deal does not bring the UK back into the EU, so every parcel coming into the EU (i.e. Republic of Ireland, for the purposes of this thread) has to be accompanied by a customs declaration. It doesn't matter whether you're sending a JCB worth 50k or a souvenir bottle cap worth 50p, the person sending it to you has to stick a customs declaration on the outside of the package.

Now if you're buying from a UK seller, and having your parcel sent to a forwarding depot in the UK, the seller has no reason to fill in such a customs declaration, and if you're not paying them extra to type out what's in the package, they're not going to do it. And there's no way Parcel Motel or anyone else is going to open every package to see what's inside so that they can fill in the declaration.

Those new rules come into effect on Jan 1st regardless of whether or not there's a trade deal in place. Britain is out of the EU, so imports will be treated on the same basis as anything coming from China or the US.

And bear in mind that deliveries to an address in NI fall under the scope of the Withdrawal Agreement, already signed, which requires all the same paperwork unless the supplier can guarantee that the products are at no risk of entering the EU after delivery. Kinda hard when that's the very raison d'être of Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

For people who don't spend large amounts on single items from the UK, not a lot will change. Amazon already charge you and pay VAT to the Irish Government. If the item you're buying is less than €150, then there are no customs due. There's still a market there.

Edit: CelticRambler makes a good point about using a virtual address in the UK (I know that's what this thread is about) and the customs declaration, but as a Prime member, I'll continue to order from Amazon for direct delivery.

Advertisement