Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Suspendeds it’s UK virtual address Dec. 28th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wait til you see what food prices do

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It will be back once they figure out what to do. No need to panic just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

biko wrote: »
    It will be back once they figure out what to do. No need to panic just yet.

They've had 4 years to figure it out.

The what to do isn't hard. It's collection of customs same as DHL or anyone has to do from the US. I'm presuming they have to be licensed to do that and haven't bothered starting that process or just assume it would all be grand. Sound business practice....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP forgot the link but here it is
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1218/1185367-parcel-motel-brexit/
    "As of 31 December, our virtual address services in the UK will be temporarily suspended,
    until such time as a final Brexit decision has been implemented and our services have been adapted
    to meet the new requirements," the company said.
    There, temporary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

A locker just over the border would be grand for me. This service might do https://www.deliverme.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

listermint wrote: »
    They've had 4 years to figure it out.

The what to do isn't hard. It's collection of customs same as DHL or anyone has to do from the US. I'm presuming they have to be licensed to do that and haven't bothered starting that process or just assume it would all be grand. Sound business practice....

What is more surprising is why An Post doesn't offer a similar service to PM by installing lockers at their post offices where you can pick up your parcels out of hours.

It's not hard to do and unlike PM, they actually own buildings all over the country that they could install the actual facilities like the same as banks have ATMs*.

Anway in PM's case it is clear why they are doing this differently. They only deal with UK deliveries so adapting to deal with customs is a big business change, and all along it hasn't been known if there was going to be a deal or not. They would have to employ extra staff, set up extra systems etc for an unknown factor - are we still going to buy at the same level from the UK as before particularly when Amazon is the big fish and providing Prime?

So I think they are practising sound business. I just don't know if their model is going to be as good overall in the future. I know that my personal usage of PM has dropped off dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Why what's gonna happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

What is more surprising is why An Post doesn't offer a similar service to PM by installing lockers at their post offices where you can pick up your parcels out of hours.

It's not hard to do and unlike PM, they actually own buildings all over the country that they could install the actual facilities like the same as banks have ATMs*.

They do offer such a service. Not in many locations yet mind, but they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Substantial amount are likely to go down with reduced UK demand.

If you eat white bread or go the chipper a lot, be in for a world of pain. Otherwise it won't really be an issue.

They do, with lockers at postal delivery offices and Lidl stores. Mostly Dublin area so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nicks delight

well, my account with Parcel motel is still there and the website is operational. I would not panic for this. I have a few thoughts in relation to all this. remember i know nothing but here is my extended thought on this topic ...here we go..

Id say the majority of us use parcel motel for Amazon.co.uk. Maybe Amazon will open up in Ireland. There is a Ebay.ie so why not Amazon.ie? In regards to the German Amazon, I think you can order in a bundle (many packages made into one package on Amazon listed/stocked items so that might reduce delivery cost per item (Not sure). Then maybe other cost reductions will apply if you are a prime member. Otherwise it seems to be direct delivery to your door for around 8-9 euro on most items. Maybe there are free deliveries on certain objects. We will have to see if UK Amazon can compete with the EU Amazons after customs, duty and vat and whatever charges they can muster up.

I am quite sure Parcel Motel will also solve the issues with shipping prices from Amazon France, Spain and Germany. Parcel motel just need to set up a hub in France and Germany, just like they have done in UK. If they don't, someone else will. If there is money to be made I think they will act quickly. If UK really are out of the EU without a trade deal then they will loose out a lot. Sure, we the consumer will start to go to Germany and France for shopping, and new ferry services will pop up when there are money to be made; I'm sure of it. This is not Chicken Little, The Sky is not falling. :) If one shop close their doors another open. I see a lot of Irish owned business opportunities here with lots of competition. Competition is good and results in competitive prices for the consumer.

We have the whole of Europe to buy from, and if that's not enough we have the world to import stuff from. We will see if Parcel Motel will adapt and see this as a perfect time for expansion rather than only focus on their UK Business cause their customers will be looking at alternatives. I know i will..

Circus...You talk about food prices going up. I think tesco for example will then be at a disadvantage if they increase food cost in ireland as Lidl and Aldi and east european supermarkets are EU based and there are plenty of food producers in EU. Sure, as we have seen, Beef prices have gone up substantially, but that is only because in the last few month UK IS STOCKING UP on beef (they have their reasons). This year they almost doubled their import of Irish beef. Therefor Ireland pay more now for our own beef...lol...that is a bit of a head scratcher.

Well, my optimistic halfbaked opinions might at least amuse someone. :) Now I will go and investigate low cost shipping price optimization at German Amazon. I hope Parcel Motel will solve there dilemma as they employ a lot of people with family and mouths to feed. The only problem I see at the immediate moment is that SOME of the Amazon retailers in UK and in other Countries do not ship to Certain destinations (among them Ireland.) At the moment it's easy to feel a little stranded. But..It was handy with the UK local address. I am still waiting for one Parcel from Parcel motel. With a bit of luck I get it in time. Otherwise its 200 euro down the drain. :(

:) Remember, that parcels under the value of 20 euro (or around that sum) will not be subject to them taxes between UK/Ireland

Can anyone tell i had a large whiskey writing this? ;0)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

well, my account with Parcel motel is still there and the website is operational. I would not panic for this. I have a few thoughts in relation to all this. remember i know nothing but here is my extended thought on this topic ...here we go..

Id say the majority of us use parcel motel for Amazon.co.uk. Maybe Amazon will open up in Ireland. There is a Ebay.ie so why not Amazon.ie? In regards to the German Amazon, I think you can order in a bundle (many packages made into one package on Amazon listed/stocked items so that might reduce delivery cost per item (Not sure). Then maybe other cost reductions will apply if you are a prime member. Otherwise it seems to be direct delivery to your door for around 8-9 euro on most items. Maybe there are free deliveries on certain objects. We will have to see if UK Amazon can compete with the EU Amazons after customs, duty and vat and whatever charges they can muster up.

I am quite sure Parcel Motel will also solve the issues with shipping prices from Amazon France, Spain and Germany. Parcel motel just need to set up a hub in France and Germany, just like they have done in UK. If they don't, someone else will. If there is money to be made I think they will act quickly. If UK really are out of the EU without a trade deal then they will loose out a lot. Sure, we the consumer will start to go to Germany and France for shopping, and new ferry services will pop up when there are money to be made; I'm sure of it. This is not Chicken Little, The Sky is not falling. :) If one shop close their doors another open. I see a lot of Irish owned business opportunities here with lots of competition. Competition is good and results in competitive prices for the consumer.

We have the whole of Europe to buy from, and if that's not enough we have the world to import stuff from. We will see if Parcel Motel will adapt and see this as a perfect time for expansion rather than only focus on their UK Business cause their customers will be looking at alternatives. I know i will..

Circus...You talk about food prices going up. I think tesco for example will then be at a disadvantage if they increase food cost in ireland as Lidl and Aldi and east european supermarkets are EU based and there are plenty of food producers in EU. Sure, as we have seen, Beef prices have gone up substantially, but that is only because in the last few month UK IS STOCKING UP on beef (they have their reasons). This year they almost doubled their import of Irish beef. Therefor Ireland pay more now for our own beef...lol...that is a bit of a head scratcher.

Well, my optimistic halfbaked opinions might at least amuse someone. :) Now I will go and investigate low cost shipping price optimization at German Amazon. I hope Parcel Motel will solve there dilemma as they employ a lot of people with family and mouths to feed. The only problem I see at the immediate moment is that SOME of the Amazon retailers in UK and in other Countries do not ship to Certain destinations (among them Ireland.) At the moment it's easy to feel a little stranded. But..It was handy with the UK local address. I am still waiting for one Parcel from Parcel motel. With a bit of luck I get it in time. Otherwise its 200 euro down the drain. :(

:) Remember, that parcels under the value of 20 euro (or around that sum) will not be subject to them taxes between UK/Ireland

Can anyone tell i had a large whiskey writing this? ;0)

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I can see "Republicans" setting up an alternative service to parcel motel if they don't reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

L1011 wrote: »
    Substantial amount are likely to go down with reduced UK demand.

If you eat white bread or go the chipper a lot, be in for a world of pain. Otherwise it won't really be an issue.

They do, with lockers at postal delivery offices and Lidl stores. Mostly Dublin area so far.

Whats the deal with bread and chipper price increases ? Spuds and flour or ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Whats the deal with bread and chipper price increases ? Spuds and flour or ?

All comes from the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭statto25

All comes from the uk

The ingredients or the actual product?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

statto25 wrote: »
    The ingredients or the actual product?

A lot of potatoes for chippers here are imported from the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

A lot of potatoes for chippers here are imported from the uk

I would have thought all they do now is import them to the North, and move them north to south?

There's a fairly large potato importer I know of already doing this (they're based in the north, and sell go here)

https://www.jdspotatoesandhaulage.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

McMurphy wrote: »
    I would have thought all they do now is import them to the North, and move them north to south?

There's a fairly large potato importer I know of already doing this (they're based in the north, and sell go here)

They won't be able to.do that much longer, goods imported into the north from the uk that are likely to end up in the south will be subject to tarrifs etc

That's fine now, but it has been a big point of the northern ireland debates, how do you distinguish between goods coming from the UK destined for consumption in the North and goods just passing through to the single market.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That's fine now, but it has been a big point of the northern ireland debates, how do you distinguish between goods coming from the UK destined for consumption in the North and goods just passing through to the single market.

I was under the impression that certain food groups (potatoes) would be exempt form any tariffs, north/south, but further reading has left me all the more confused.

It's an absolute clusterfcuk, how will that be policed?

• Advertisement

• Thanks to who ever added the link for me! Totally forgot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

PM will probably set up an EU virtual address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I was under the impression that certain food groups (potatoes) would be exempt form any tariffs, north/south, but further reading has left me all the more confused.

It's an absolute clusterfcuk, how will that be policed?

Potatoes cannot be imported into the EU due to safety rules and in a couple of weeks GB exits the EU

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1130/1181294-potatoes-brexit/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Car99 wrote: »
    Potatoes cannot be imported into the EU due to safety rules.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1130/1181294-potatoes-brexit/

What is it with the UK and starving us of potatoes every chance they get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Was hoping this wouldn’t happen, but can’t say I’m surprised. An Post AddressPal is only offering home delivery for UK orders too. Hopefully something can be sorted for UK to Ireland parcels!

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1218/1185367-parcel-motel-brexit/

Addresspal will vanish in time too as demand for it will drop. Uk imports will be just too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Addresspal kôln and Addresspal Paris will be on the cards surely

• j4vier wrote: »
    Addresspal will vanish in time too as demand for it will drop. Uk imports will be just too expensive.

I wouldn’t be so sure. AddressPal’s biggest benefit (IMO) is the US address. I can’t be bothered with it for UK parcels, they’re just too slow compared to PM & PW. But I haven’t found an equivalent service for US parcels that’s as easy and convenient as AP.

One other company I used (only once) is a handy alternative but a bit of a nuisance, because they offer a ton of different shipping options & for some reason won’t ship you a thing without verifying your ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The EU's way ahead of you: assume everything is destined for the Republic/EU, tax/check/ban accordingly and let NI customers/users prove otherwise if they're inconvenienced by it. Boris thought that was a grand arrangement, so signed the deal. Job done, no going back on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Reminder as well to cancel your Amazon Prime UK sub (unless you want to keep it for the TV) as I reckon that unless a last-minute deal is done, or Amazon extend the new Irish fulfilment centre in Dublin into a full warehouse/Amazon.ie service it just won't be worth the costs IMO.

As someone who tend to order things like laptops and other electronics from the UK a few times a year, this will be a huge pain as while you can of course get them from Germany/elsewhere, things like keyboard languages and chargers will be wrong :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

If you close your parcel motel account will they refund any credit ? Seems pointless now

Advertisement