Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clermont Auvergne vs Munster, Sat 19 Dec 5:30pm Irish time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,566 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

leakyboots wrote: »
    Larkham has brought our handling to a new level, he's made his mark.

That's one of our best ever results on the road

using DDA much better this season, good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

MaddChris wrote: »
    Someone shut this fool up :D

Well this is a first. The meta is just on point with this one!

Where are the post match interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bloody great result that. Didn't see much of it so can't really comment on the performance, but to come back in SMM like that is fantastic no matter what.

Questions do have to be asked about Clermont though. 3-30 in the second half is pretty bad from them. That's 2 home losses in a row and they nearly let Bristol back into it last week too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

PHG wrote: »
    Thought I saw JJ holding his shoulder when he came off and wince when putting on the jacket after. Hopefully not injured

Saw him holding it a little earlier as well before he came off.

I'm dead after that my poor neighbours will think somebody was getting killed from all the shouting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Where are the post match interviews?
    My guess is BT Sport don't have anyone in the ground to do them. Just sent a skeleton crew for commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Some French teams have a habit of switching off when they get a 4 try bonus point.

I’m just going to leave this here....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

kuang1 wrote: »
    Yeah agree.
    I was almost pleased that they got their bonus point so early. French complacency almost inevitable to some extent after that.

Oh we're doing this are we Lawrence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Happy Fúcking Christmas!

I don’t know what was said at HT, I presume it was the “remember, Simba” scene from The Lion King on repeat.

I had to watch with headphones in on my iPad as the wife is watching Strictly and I’m in trouble for letting out a roar at the KOB try. Woke the 2 year old. Worth it, he’d have wanted to know!

That was without a doubt Munster's toughest assignment and they passed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Apart from a score summary there is nothing on RTE website about it.

Bit of a joke - no?

kuang1 wrote: »
    Goway out of it Venjur. ;)
    Don't be trying to bring any moderate or sombre tones to this thread.
    Clearly we are the best team in the world at this moment :):):)

Best win of the weekend anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Apart from a score summary there is nothing on RTE website about it.

Bit of a joke - no?
    There was a piece up about a minute before you post.
    They dont need to have a by the whistle report. Its going to be on their news etc.
    Not really an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

Are highlights on anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Are highlights on anywhere?

Anywhere???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Incredible come back. Is this a sign that Munster have turned a corner to better things?

Incredible come back. Is this a sign that Munster have turned a corner to better things?

Next weeks game will tell a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Next weeks game will tell a lot.

It won't. The internationals won't play. Going by last year the internationals won't feature in the next two weeks and will return for the Connacht game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Full match (English commentary/SD):

Full match (French commentary/HD)

Extended highlights (French commentary):

Final minute only (French commentary):

enjoy

It won't. The internationals won't play. Going by last year the internationals won't feature in the next two weeks and will return for the Connacht game.

The “internationals” are only POM, CJ and Murray. Earls, Farrell, Conway and Daly won’t be ruled out for necessary rest, . How well this team is doing is not down to them, they haven’t been responsible for the results that Munster have so far this season, they added a bit to today’s game, but it was the cherry on top not the foundations

The great unbeaten start for both sides in the league is on the line next week. The result will tell a lot about how much, if at all Munster have closed the gap
    On Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The “internationals” are only POM, CJ and Murray. Earls, Farrell, Conway and Daly won’t be ruled out for necessary rest, . How well this team is doing is not down to them, they haven’t been responsible for the results that Munster have so far this season, they added a bit to today’s game, but it was the cherry on top not the foundations

The great unbeaten start for both sides in the league is on the line next week. The result will tell a lot about how much, if at all Munster have closed the gap
    On Leinster.

But the internationals won't play for Leinster either.

4Ad wrote: »
    Standers smile said it all !!!

https://twitter.com/pablocoll/status/1340382158985322499

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

On Leinster.

It might tell a story on the respective depth but both lineups will be missing many starters.

aloooof wrote: »
    But the internationals won't play for Leinster either.

And many of them haven’t played for them as they made their way to the top of the conference.

The Leinster starting team will be very similar to the one that started against Montpellier because a good few internationals are injured anyway, Lowe / Sexton / larmour.

For the first time ever I actually don’t want to see the internationals involved,
    Just play the majority of the sides that have played the league so far this season.

Let’s see the like of Coombes vs Ruddock. Casey vs Mcgrath. Healy vs Byrne. Shane Daly vs Keenan, JOD vs josh murphy, Wycherley vs Baird.

Both sides have been giving chances to new squad members. Let’s get a good hard thorough examination of where they are because the league hasn’t really done so yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

Best comeback story since Kim Kardashian

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Squarewave wrote: »
    What-Chris-Pratt.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Squarewave wrote: »

Rocky IV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

Full match (English commentary/SD):

Full match (French commentary/HD)

Extended highlights (French commentary):

Final minute only (French commentary):

enjoy

You sir are a legend!

What a game! Tadgh Beirne was MoM for me. He was everywhere, took a lot of lineout ball and carried really strongly. What a 1st day out for Josh Wycherley too. There is a crop of confident, talented young players coming together. Really hope they can make this step up consistently and bring the team on to being serious contenders again. JJ played well but the 2 missed touches on another night could have been costly. The skillset and play looked better tonight. Nice hands in attack and some lovely lineout variations to setup scoring mauls. Perfect victory really, loads to work on from 1st 20mins but a huge night of cup rugby. Clermont will be sick, their discipline was atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

Tonight also reaffirmed for me the value in taking 3 points when they are on offer. Kept Munster in the game and moving forward on the scoreboard. Only at the end were the goal shots turned down when we had a numerical advantage. Need to see Ireland do more of this too. Allows a team hang in there when being outclassed. Too many times Ireland force going for 7 points when on the back foot up front. Often leading to a confidence boosting turnover for the opposition. You have to take cheap points when on offer. England won a world cup by doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Missed the game and just watched it back. 4 tries in 25 minutes. I thought Munster were on the end of a record hiding tbh. Fantastic come back to win that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

It also shows where Ireland are missing a trick. If you want to play a possession based game you have to take any point that’s on offer, they all add up in the end, screwed Ireland in Twickenham recently and was a momentum swinger on half time v France.

almostover wrote: »
    Tonight also reaffirmed for me the value in taking 3 points when they are on offer. Kept Munster in the game and moving forward on the scoreboard. Only at the end were the goal shots turned down when we had a numerical advantage. Need to see Ireland do more of this too. Allows a team hang in there when being outclassed. Too many times Ireland force going for 7 points when on the back foot up front. Often leading to a confidence boosting turnover for the opposition. You have to take cheap points when on offer. England won a world cup by doing so.

Completely agree, seemed to be very much part of the gameplan. There were times early on when we were up against it when 3 points didn’t seem like it’d make much of a difference but we kept on going for them, even those on the cusp of JJ’s range. They allowed us to get a foothold in the game, and confidence seemed to soar from there when we got within striking distance.

I think a lot of credit needs to go to the coaching ticket in general. We saw some lovely plays off first phase and some good handling, clear signs of what Larkham brings. DDA was excellent and very involved as well.

For the forwards, and Rowntree, the Stander try comes to mind, brilliantly executed switch and maul drive, and Josh Wycherly’s scrummaging after a tough start was excellent.

We’ve been up against it already this season and won games we had no right to win late in the day vs Scarlets and Edinburgh, but this seemed another level altogether. Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come!

(As an aside on taking your penalties, South Africa nearly won 3 World Cups just kicking their pens; think their 2 tries last year were their only tries in RWC finals).

A small aside, but I really liked the camera angle when teams got inside the 22. Think I’ve only seen it for French teams so far (and wonder how difficult it would be to introduce into some stadiums) but I’d be a fan if that became common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

JJ looked in some serious trouble at the 80 min mark...can't see him being fit inside a week unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Full Game (HD/English Commentary)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Clermont's first home loss (in the pools anyway?) in 4 years/32 games I think?

Such a strange match, we made some really, really basic errors in the first quarter but threatened them with what little ball we had. I don't know what others felt like during the game but I thought at half time we were in with a good shout if we scored first. For a finish we won the final 65 minutes 30-3. Phenomenal.

"Josh, you have him!" - big shoutout to Josh Wycherley who went to a bearpit venue on his first European start against some wily operators, got physically (and illegally - law 37 c. if you're looking) lifted out of it in the first scrum ( I mean, LOOK at this - https://twitter.com/greub1/status/1340354689007796225 - I don't think I've seen this on a pitch before, highly dangerous from their hooker and 3, ref should have penalised them immediately)... and then went on to more than hold his own - saw off Slimani and then won a penalty against his second opponent in the dying mins! Came of age tonight at 21, could have been MOTM.

Bear in mind too we'd another youngster in Boomer on the bench behind him. Daly was making his first European start and has barely played any rugby since August. Coombes is only starting out too. We had no backup outhalf on the bench, Scannell covering.

POM was totemic, what a player. Lineout mayhem, steals on the deck, soft hands (for Haley's try in particular) and he captained the ref excellently. People wondering why James Ryan is getting criticised a wee bit for his captaincy skills (still early days I know) - he's not in the ear of the ref enough. Any captain worth his salt is planting seeds throughout the game. Billy Holland is another one who is excellent at the asking-a-polite-question-but-actually-informing-the-ref-they're-infringing game

Favourite moment was CJ laughing several seconds before the ref blew his whistle that he knew they'd won the choke tackle penalty. He did his usual thing tonight, what a player. Haley is such an elusive runner, thought he did well tonight. Coombes started slow and grew into the game.

Craig Casey has an authority about him that belies his 21 years. He plays and acts like a seasoned pro. Takes on responsibility, earwigs the ref, doesn't take a backward step in those pointless scuffles - we laugh at a 5 foot nothing fella squaring up to their tallest fella but to me that sends a message to them. Wonderful to see from one only starting out. Bullet of a pass and a great tactical kicking brain on him. Coming on with the game in the balance, twenty mins to go and not being afraid to dictate things, play the touchlines. I'm generally cautious about putting young lads up for Ireland selection - it seems like on here if a young lad in a certain colour has a half decent game he should be capped immediately but I think Casey passed a test with his appearance today. He could easily have just shipped ball out the back of rucks and played it safe. I look forward to seeing how he goes against Leinster next week if he starts, he's earned it, he looks the business already.

Have no idea what certain posters were on about 20 mins in that serious questions must be asked of this coaching ticket. Even if we went on to lose this game Larkham's influence this season has been plain to see, we're playing completely differently to previous seasons with ball in hand - keeping it alive, pop passes from the deck, set piece moves. Healy/Casey/Coombes/Wycherley are being integrated squad members/starters. DDA looks the world class centre he is. It's such a shame Snyman got injured. But I think we're ticking over nicely and are clearly on an upward curve. Whether it's good enough to win anything we'll see. But I don't think we'll be far off. And they'll have gotten bags of belief from this.

Best performance since we beat Glasgow after Axel passed, maybe Toulon in Thomond? God, I'd love to be in a packed Thomond for the return leg. Have been going to Thomond since I was 8, have followed Munster since 1999 around Europe and that was a win to savour with the best of them.

Two addenda - how was one of JJ's missed touch's not illegal by their winger? He jumped from off the field of play on to it and stopped the ball going out?

I know I give out about co-commentators a lot but Macken is painful, he doesn't sound remotely interested in the game and for me didn't give any insight for a guy who's not long out of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Two addenda - how was one of JJ's missed touch's not illegal by their winger? He jumped from off the field of play on to it and stopped the ball going out?

I know I give out about co-commentators a lot but Macken is painful, he doesn't sound remotely interested in the game and for me didn't give any insight for a guy who's not long out of the game
    The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:
    The ball reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player who is in the playing area.
    A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
    A player jumps from the playing area and knocks (or catches and releases) the ball back into the playing area, before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
    A player, who is in touch, kicks or knocks the ball, but does not hold it, provided it has not reached the plane of touch.

Rule change, that’s now allowed once the player lands in the field of play, iirc. (There’s been a fair few in Super Rugby since rugby returned).

Completely agree on Macken, btw.

Cool cheers. Bit of a bizarre rule change if you ask me, puts the onus on the outhalf to shorten his kicks, just seems a bit... unfair in general. Wonder what was the reasoning behind the change?

Macken should spend less time on about haircuts and accents and more about what's going on in front of him. Had very little of interest to add to proceedings. He hasn't been a pundit long so he might improve, takes time to get used to that role I'd imagine, but I found him tough going.

• Advertisement

Also, if this doesn't tell you how rattled they were, check out Raka during the second half :)

https://twitter.com/16fachy/status/1340373225809842179

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Cool cheers. Bit of a bizarre rule change if you ask me, puts the onus on the outhalf to shorten his kicks, just seems a bit... unfair in general. Wonder what was the reasoning behind the change?

Macken should spend less time on about haircuts and accents and more about what's going on in front of him. Had very little of interest to add to proceedings. He hasn't been a pundit long so he might improve, takes time to get used to that role I'd imagine, but I found him tough going.

There were quite a few periods where the pair shut up and let the game talk which was great, especially without the stupid fake crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Also, if this doesn't tell you how rattled they were, check out Raka during the second half :)

https://twitter.com/16fachy/status/1340373225809842179

I loved the ref in this. Asked the player if he was ok and asked him if the post came out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

JJ looked in some serious trouble at the 80 min mark...can't see him being fit inside a week unfortunately.

I think penaud inadvertently landed on him when he came down from fielding that lays box kick.
    Hopefully it’s just a “sore one” but could easily have done serious damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Why the **** are we still going for 3, we are still 2 scores behind and letting Clermont completly off the hook.

Well this hasn't aged well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    It also shows where Ireland are missing a trick. If you want to play a possession based game you have to take any point that’s on offer, they all add up in the end, screwed Ireland in Twickenham recently and was a momentum swinger on half time v France.

Especially when I read this from the same poster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Clermont securing the BP after 23 mins was probably a blessing in disguise, they seemed to totally switch off after that

Munster now seem to have a habit of starting really slowly and letting the opposition rack up a few scores before starting

Earls had a very poor first 20 odd minutes

Coombes fell off a tackle for the first try too

That Haley try was an absolute beauty, Great hands from Marshall, DDA sucks in a few defenders pops the pass to Coombes who makes a strong carry

Stander runs a great decoy line to attract a few more defenders, O'Mahony releases Haley for the try

Murray is at the front of the lineout for that try, Clermont were probably expecting to defend a maul

Thought DDA and Josh Whycherley were immense

And JJ was 100% from the kicking tee, he kept us in the game. Maybe just let Murray kick the penalties to the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

OldRio wrote: »
    Especially when I read this from the same poster

Sorry, I left my time machine at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

almostover wrote: »

Agree totally. Seems to stem back to the Chicago game where we went with the 7 point strategy as a way to outscore a NZ team that will score tries. We have stuck with this strategy since.

Unfortunately Ireland's lineout has been ropey for a long time which doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JohnDeereIE

Well done to Munster, it really was an incredible game. I watched Clermont last week and they done similar with Bristol, racked up an early score and then turned off. The difference was every time Bristol scored, Clermont could go back down the other end and score because of poor defence.
    I must admit when JJ missed the touch with that penalty and you seen POM kind of lose it, I thought that was it up

Moment of the season has to be Stander laughing when they held up the Clermont player!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement