Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow and Bone [Netflix]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It seems like Netflix likes cancelling shows now, especially after not promoting new seasons coming out. Season 2 of S&B definitely seems a step down from season 1, just too many characters now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Can't help that it feels like this season dropped right in the middle of a heap of new shows and other shows dropping their new seasons too. There's so much going on.

Reminds me of carnival row. First season dropping during pandemic and then too long a gap to second season. Despite having good viewership in first week i think writing is on wall considering they seem to have used the plot of three books in season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m a few episodes in enjoying it. Alina and Mal (although it is possibly just the actor) are quite dull. The various storylines, characters, designs, set, etc are very good though.

The only thing I knew about the story going into was that the Netflix series would stories and characters from other books set after the main trilogy.

Does anyone know why they chose to do this rather than save it for a potential continuation of the show or a sequel to it?

I think you hit the nail on the head with the first sentence as to why the continuation series (i.e. the Crows part) are included, the Alina storyline is more cliched YA fantasy fare while the Crows apart are more fun. NetFlix cancel series so quickly now that it probably wouldnt have got to the Crows storyline if it was to be based on just the original Alina storyline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

We enjoyed the first seaso of this. Seems like ages ago. Its been so long we arent going to bother with this season. Just cant remember anything that happened and it would be too much effort to start watching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I just watched this before starting season 2. good recap of Season 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Thanks, but I think its been put into the inner depths of my brain at this stage. I think i'll look for something new to start.

Yes now that I think of it the reasons for combining are indeed obvious.

The Alina storyline is good but the whole “best friends don’t realise they are in love” thing is done to death. And there isn’t even an ounce of chemistry between Alina and Mal or the two actors themselves. The guy just sucks the entertainment out of the show whenever he is on screen.

I would have moved on except for the Crows story and now the new character of Nina. I have no idea where that story is going but she has me interested. Actress is Irish unless I am mistaken but not sure why I think that.

She is indeed Irish and the crows have good romance and friendship chemistry that i suspect season 3, if they get it,will be dominated by them and Matthias.

• Advertisement

I thought I heard a bit of an accent in her first scenes but in her accent seemed very neutral in her second episode.

After posting though I found out why I knew she was Irish - I had seen her in short film a couple of months ago called Every Five Miles.

It is her eyes that I remembered.

Anyway always nice to see an Irish actress getting along well.

Watched the last episode of season 1 yesterday.

The boyfriend saves the heroine and defeats the villain? Really?

Any time the story turned to Alina or Mal I was just waiting for it to go back to Ben Barnes and the Crows and Nina. I needed subtitles to understand the Mal actor in the previous episodes. By this episode I didn’t bother. :)

I like the character of Nina but the romance with her captor is “seen it all before countless times”. Ben Barnes is a great villain once again and the Crows storyline kept this season going.

I also like the costumes, set designs and the Eastern European influences. Great world building.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I just discovered that the fella playing Nikolai is Irish too!

And the girl playing Tamar is Irish Chinese. Her name is Anna Leong Brophy.

I really like the series of books but I much preferred the Crows over Alina and Mal. They are more fun and interesting. I am in the Nina books now having just finished King Of Scars and I enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading Rule of Wolves.

I’m not on season 2 but I knew Patrick Gibson was in this.

He was in THE OA and around that time I remember the media trumpeting him as the next big thing out of Ireland. I think it was because he was in WHAT RICHARD DID and played Brendan o’Donnell in PROPERTY OF THE STATE but I don’t think I have seen him in anything since THE OA.

Kelly Gough RAW and THE FALL was in seasons one as one of the twins - I think she was killed too but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement