Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you celebrate your 21st

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I was at my boss's wedding. Not into parties so had a good day and didn't even mind the band mentioning it and playing a song appropriate to my attire:)

I signed up to Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Mitzis...and lots of em

Mitzis...and lots of em

Actually that's a lie. That was probably my 18th. I turned 21 sitting in a red eye flight from seattle to NYC after an extended j1 summer. Had a 6 pack of Miller to celebrate the next day.

We retired to a house party after the club, out came the bowls. One had smarties, the other tic-tacs. Man we were bouncing off the walls, all day and all of the night. The Kinks didn't even sue for copyright infringement. Those were the days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

eviltwin wrote: »
    My husband organised a surprise party for me in the local pub. It was completely unexpected and a brilliant night.

You were married at 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,874 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A couple of months over 20 years ago, it was a Saturday, went out for a meal to Oscar Taylor’s restaurant above the pub of the same name in Malahide for a lovely meal, brilliant service , then down to the bar, most of the oldies were meant to head off but they ended kicking the lot of us out well after time from the bar...

Following night was meant to be a pub crawl with friends but it literally ended up with us grabbing some food in a pub in town in The Hairy Lemon, Whelans for a pint but it was rammed solid and finishing up in the Mint Bar in the Westin Westmorland St....into the wee small hours...

Actually that's a lie. That was probably my 18th. I turned 21 sitting in a red eye flight from seattle to NYC after an extended j1 summer. Had a 6 pack of Miller to celebrate the next day.

A 6pack of Miller. Eat your heart out Ozzy Osbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

I had a big night out when I was 18 because you could officially go drinking, but the 21st is a bit of an anachronism. You’re an adult legally at 18 and other than standing as a TD or driving certain types of heavy goods and passenger vehicles, there’s nothing I can think of in Ireland that requires you to be over 21.

Also if you’re planning to be president, it’s still 35.

Mine was a bit of a non-event. I used to go to the states for the summer each year of university. After my leaving cert I just went on a holiday visa, first year college went on J1 and got a Green Card in 2nd year in college so that was grand. Anyway, passed my exams in first and second year so had a 4 month summer in Long Island. Fast forward to 3rd year and I totally took my eye off the ball and was a bit of a beer head thinking I'd cruise through the exams in May. Sat the exams and then off to NY in June for my usual 4 months. Wrong. Ended up ramming 5 of the 10 exams and had to cut the summer short and be back early august to prepare to sit the repeats. So spent my 21st with my head in a book revising for the supplementals. That was a bit of a wake up call.

Anyway passed all the repeats and went on to 4th year. That was the upside. The downside was that I was broke throughout 4th year because of having to cut short my working summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Fecking Yanks.

A 6pack of Miller. Eat your heart out Ozzy Osbourne.

It was wild. Didn't have the price of a stamp, in fairness. Couldn't even afford to eat a bat

AutoTuning wrote: »
    I had a big night out when I was 18 because you could officially go drinking, but the 21st is a bit of an anachronism. You’re an adult legally at 18 and other than standing as a TD or driving certain types of heavy goods and passenger vehicles, there’s nothing I can think of in Ireland that requires you to be over 21.

Also if you’re planning to be president, it’s still 35.

The fact you know the word "anachronism " means your 21st would have been ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Bush drinkin.....in December;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I didn't have a proper party but just went out with friends. My mother organised a 'get together' in the house, inviting some relatives so I had to attend that too. :rolleyes: The stand-out memory was one elderly relative greeting me with the words "Happy 21st birthday...and may you have 21 more!". Well, I'm 5 years after my 42nd birthday and she's long dead now, so her hex didn't work! :pac:
    Went to Andrew Weatherall in the Tivoli with some of my mates. It was a good night. That was 1994. Didn't have a party. One of my mates got me an NSK Passport, which is one of my most treasured possessions. My mother got me an oak tree planted in my name in a forest somewhere. If I ever remember where it is, I guess I can chop it down.

I nearly bought myself one of those back then. I think there was an application form with the NATO album. I remember a couple of years later, there was an RTÉ travel programme that went to Slovenia and the person mentioned the NSK passport. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Box of Maltesers.

Advertisement