Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you celebrate your 21st

Options
  • 16-12-2020 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Did you remember your 21st birthday, (I'd imagine it was along time ago for the majority of board members) was it memorable night? Did you have a party? Did you have a meal which your parents? What way did you celebrate it, or did it make no difference to you.

My own 21st was a party, and a set-up. Because it happened a few days before my birthday, I was conned into going for a drink with my mates to a pub/club kind of venue, a place I might add I never liked, but once inside It was surprise time. Needless to say before I got a drink or a joint into me, I was dragged into the toilets and give a choice be stripped or strip, needless to say I stripped (at least that way I knew were my clothes were). And was given an elephants trunk to put on over my dick. And I stayed that way until closing time, thinking back everybody loved that elephants trunk, even the stripper.
    So how was your 21st? Have you got good or bad memories of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Told nobody, even my own family forgot...went out..had a a few drinks like a normal weekend, and told everyone on the Monday....a big party just wasn't for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Certainly didn’t involve taking drugs and stripping .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Genuinely can't remember. I definitely didn't have a party. I was living away for college so I imagine I just went out on the p!ss as usual. I always found 21st parties to be super cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No party anyway - the thoughts of having a party for any reason whatsoever just horrifies me! I just went out and had a few scoops - i can't remember if it was on the actually day or not.
    I don't get the fuss some people make of birthdays, i reckon once your over about 10 years old or so birthdays are pretty meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I remember their were loads and loads of pictures (that was over 30yrs ago, so I'd imagine hopefully there all gone) took of my with the elephants trunk on. And the thought just struck me if that was now and with camera phones, I'd be probably plastered all over the internet for all time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My husband organised a surprise party for me in the local pub. It was completely unexpected and a brilliant night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Standard pub crawl with friends, but with added shots.

I was asked if I wanted a big thing and I said no.

Kylta wrote: »
    I remember their were loads and loads of pictures (that was over 30yrs ago, so I'd imagine hopefully there all gone) took of my with the elephants trunk on. And the thought just struck me if that was now and with camera phones, I'd be probably plastered all over the internet for all time

In fairness, there’s more interesting pictures to be looking at on the internet anyway.

Sounds like a very odd 21st birthday party too. Dragged into the bogs, told to strip before strapping on an augmentation to your own appendage, then surrounded by a lot of excited people taking photos.

Are you sure you didn’t just end up really drunk and make a tit of yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's less than 15 years ago but I genuinely cant remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Didn't make any sort of fuss. Went to a mates gig in Doran's - good night all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I always found 21st parties to be super cringe.

Definitely. Any intergenerational events with drink involved make me want to run for the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I had a party and yes it was cringe central.

I went on the lash at the end of my J1 summer in Queens, New York. Ended in a lock-in followed by drinking on a park bench at 5 in the morning. My flight home was just a few days after that so it was a kind of celebration of the best summer of my life as much as it was my birthday.

Managed to get tickets off a tout the next day to watch Andre Agassi playing tennis in the US Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I had a weekend away to watch united play liverpool with my mates organised. Did my back in playing football during the week, and spent the whole weekend in bed, could barely move. They still went and had a great time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I'm only 22 so it was last year, was asked if I wanted the big party etc but didn't want it, my mam gave me €1200 instead which was much appreciated!

We went for dinner in my favourite restaurant with about 10 of my family members and then went for some drinks in a local hotel, then I went to the pub with my boyfriend.

I did have a big party in my house for my 18th though with about 40 odd people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I remember it well. It was January 2010 and was snowing. My brother turned 18 two days after I turned 21 so we had a joined family dinner. Was bizarre as it was the first time my (separated) parents had been in the same room for more than 5 minutes since I was about 10. Went drinking after and had a snowball fight. Was good craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah yes! A day I will never forget. My birthday falls in early June so coincided with exams. And in that year I was taking University Finals. Yep. I spent the day taking vital exams. AND they let me keep my cards on the desk...

After six hours of exams I went home to bed... Oh and my mother had sentflowers so that was grand

The best part was? I passed and was near the top of my year. So my Honours Degree was my gift. * I still have it of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Mine is the middle of the summer & fell on a Wednesday so ended up celebrating 3 times. The weekend before I went out with friends to a nightclub & had a good laugh. Went out for dinner with my family on the actual day of & the weekend after we had an afternoon party thing in our house for extended family & some friends. It was something like we'd done for other big occasions like communions so was lovely. Nothing too crazy or wild but that suited me to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

I was working at Butlins in Minehead in the UK.

Had a gallon flagon of rough scrumpy, and curry chips out of the Chinese takeaway on camp....
    Wasn't a bad night to be honest....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,400 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mine was in the states when on J1, had a full on keg party. lots of Irish and Locals there. I was working as lifeguard in a beach club so there was loads of locals our age working there too. great day and night.

went down to the local the next day and they were curious as to how my ID and date of birth has changed over night. (went from Fake ID to real ID)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was in Calgary with no money, I don't think I even went out, woe is me...

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭3d4life

On a ship, somewhere between Le Harve and Rosslare. 'Twas a calm balmy night in late summer. I was returning from a European adventure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

A night out with friends that was pretty standard but I still remember it as being a great 21st. I didn't do anything for my 30th and often regret it. Planning a big 40th in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I had a party in a pub.Bit of a disaster but not end of the world stuff.
    I'm 30 next year and wouldn't want a proper party but if its possible I want to book a karaoke room with some pals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Went to Andrew Weatherall in the Tivoli with some of my mates. It was a good night. That was 1994. Didn't have a party. One of my mates got me an NSK Passport, which is one of my most treasured possessions. My mother got me an oak tree planted in my name in a forest somewhere. If I ever remember where it is, I guess I can chop it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dubmany

At the time I was busy studying for finals at college, so gave it a miss. Was at a few 21s when I was that age and had a good time, just a HiFi in the corner of the living room, some finger food and plenty of cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Ended up having 2!

My bday fell during college exams, so actual birthday was celebrated with maybe a dozen friends going on a serious bender that night (local pub followed by nightclub in town followed by all-nighter in friends house). As most people were going straight from finishing exams to summer's abroad, waited until the end of the summer and had a joint 21st with 2 other friends. Had a beer garden/party room to ourselves with music and finger food and about maybe 70-80 friends.

Also involved a "willy warmer" as a gift from some of the girls (basically a thong with a trunk for the willy), but I politely declined to model!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Didn't have one. My birthdays a couple of days into the new year and not really convenient for rounding people up. Just about managed to get enough people together for my 40th.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭JimmyChew

I had Richie Cavanagh performing at mine...

We'll, Richie Cavanagh happened to be performing at the pub we we're drinking in earlier in the evening and when we heard he was on we stuck around. He took the absolute piss out of me from what I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yep, remember it very well, even though it was over 24 years ago now. My long haired college days... :D

My dad booked a function room in Dublin city centre hotel (that was my present from him) and we had a DJ, a dance floor - it was a 1970s theme night as, well, I was born in 1975 and I also love disco music.

About 70 friends and acquaintances showed up. I wore a pair of huge elephant flares, a sequined blue blazer and a red satin shirt with massive collar lapels. Most of the ladies made an effort to dress up 70s style but the lads largely declined to do the fancy dress.

It was great craic - got the 21 kisses, everyone bought me a pint, can’t remember how or when I got home...

Advertisement