Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman stole 760k from employer and spent it on handbags

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm still waiting to enlightened as to what 'teacher support' actually is and why it costs so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to enlightened as to what 'teacher support' actually is and why it costs so much.
    Like all qangos it's primary function is the provision of cushy jobs for the terminally well connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A quick look at their website would suggest that training for teachers is a big part of what they do. How much should this cost, in your expert opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Which of the school principals involved were political appointees?

536493.jpg

I doubt any of them were political appointees
    and it was probably a voluntary role, like BOMs in schools

A quick look at their website would suggest that training for teachers is a big part of what they do. How much should this cost, in your expert opinion?

Training for what, I'm asking? I have no idea how much it should cost when I have no idea what they are being trained to do.

• Advertisement

Training for what, I'm asking? I have no idea how much it should cost when I have no idea what they are being trained to do.

Did you try looking at their website to see what they do?

It's just that when you said " why it costs so much" I thought you had some useful thoughts about the costs involved.

Did you try looking at their website to see what they do?

It's just that when you said " why it costs so much" I thought you had some useful thoughts about the costs involved.

So do you know what they do, then? Can you tell us.? What's so important that it requires funding that can be stolen to the amount of €10,500 a month for years and no one noticed? Nothing to show for it. No teachers supported, no teaching improved, no child benefitting and no one noticed.

So do you know what they do, then? Can you tell us.? What's so important that it requires funding that can be stolen to the amount of €10,500 a month for years and no one noticed? Nothing to show for it. No teachers supported, no teaching improved, no child benefitting and no one noticed.

Like I said, have a look at their website. There's no excuse for this kind of fraud not being picked up earlier. But that's nothing to do with the usefulness of the service they provide.

Of course training of teachers is important. Do you reckon children should be thought by someone using techniques they learned 20 or 30 years ago?

Like I said, have a look at their website. There's no excuse for this kind of fraud not being picked up earlier. But that's nothing to do with the usefulness of the service they provide.

Of course training of teachers is important. Do you reckon children should be thought by someone using techniques they learned 20 or 30 years ago?

I would presume that teachers need to provide evidence of further training, upskilling, updating etc in the guise of successfully and competently completing a course and provide evidence of this, in the guise of an exam result perhaps or a grade award for submitted work? Wouldn't it be fairly easy to trace the money spent to the participants who can do this? If that's not happening, I'd like to know why. I'd also like to know why this requirement isn't fulfilled directly by the Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

"Barrister for Ms Sweeney, Mr Peter Nolan told the court that the case and her actions have destroyed her life."

And whose fault it that? Thats right, it's hers

Poor diddums is having to sell her house to pay back some of the money

• Advertisement

I would presume that teachers need to provide evidence of further training, upskilling, updating etc in the guise of successfully and competently completing a course and provide evidence of this, in the guise of an exam result perhaps or a grade award for submitted work? Wouldn't it be fairly easy to trace the money spent to the participants who can do this? If that's not happening, I'd like to know why. I'd also like to know why this requirement isn't fulfilled directly by the Department.

I'd guess the reason that it's not fulfilled directly the by Department is that they don't have people in Donegal, and they don't really want to be paying people to travel to Donegal every time training is happening. So they set up a local organisation to assess local needs and provide training locally. It's a fairly sound approach in principle, though obviously something seriously went wrong with financial management and auditing in this case.

If you want to know more, then follow up with the Department yourself.

I'd guess the reason that it's not fulfilled directly the by Department is that they don't have people in Donegal, and they don't really want to be paying people to travel to Donegal every time training is happening. So they set up a local organisation to assess local needs and provide training locally. It's a fairly sound approach in principle, though obviously something seriously went wrong with financial management and auditing in this case.

If you want to know more, then follow up with the Department yourself.

That's a fair point, in fairness.

Advertisement