Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman stole 760k from employer and spent it on handbags

Options
  • 15-12-2020 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭

Surprised there wasn't a thread on this

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40191180.html

Worked for the Donegal Education Centre from 2009 to 2015 and stole 760k in that time. Spent it on "clothing, designer handbags, perfumes, jewellery with many high-end labels including Prada and Gucci". Well done!

I'm not sure what the Donegal Education Centre is, a VEC or similar? Public sector? Questions would need to be asked about how such a sum went missing over the course of only 6 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You'd wonder what funding an education centre receives if it takes time to miss just over 3 quarters of a million.

All the designer stuff just left in bags too, bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If you think its bad for her what does it say about her manager? or was it do what you like there?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Many NGO's are pretty much a bottomless pit of magical taxpayer money. If she'd only stolen half a million or so, nobody might have noticed.

silverharp wrote: »
    If you think its bad for her what does it say about her manager? or was it do what you like there?

Manager and their entire finance dept. dropped the ball
    Shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Lack of accountability in the public service....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He added that it was a sad and unusual case and that if there is any money recouped from the recovery of all the designer brands then perhaps that could be repaid also.

Oh, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

€760k over 6 years is €10.5k per month going missing from a small regional educational body.

That does not smell right.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 harrymcgowan

I don't get this. How do people think they can get away with it? If I was a thief, I'd be reasonable and steal a small amount like €10,000 every year. Might not get noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭batman75

How in god's name did she manage to thieve this amount without it being twigged much earlier. Doesn't say much for those overseeing the administration of funds. Of course it goes without saying what she did was disgraceful and the state will never see this money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭POBox19

And this year's award for outstanding governance goes to...

Honestly, the management prior to 2015 must have been asleep at the wheel and should be investigated. How do you not miss €10,000 each month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

My speculation would be that there are more people (especially of those responsible for keeping track of the money/overseers) involved in this, and she’s the one to take the rap for the lot. That would be one explanation, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

seenitall wrote: »
    My speculation would be that there are more people (especially of those responsible for keeping track of the money/overseers) involved in this, and she’s the one to take the rap for the lot. That would be one explanation, anyway.

Agreed, something doesnt stack up here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Seems to be a lot of this sort of thing at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭headtheball14

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

Probably a small team, lack of segregation of duties, management not overseeing staff. Could've been collusion as well though. It can happen easy enough.There must've been obvious red flags though (her coming to work in designer clothes /expensive bags etc.) when she probably wasn't earning much. It's a difficult trap to get out . Management should be blamed for this as well for the significant governance failures that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Probably a small team, lack of segregation of duties, management not overseeing staff. Could've been collusion as well though. It can happen easy enough.There must've been obvious red flags though (her coming to work in designer clothes /expensive bags etc.) when she probably wasn't earning much. It's a difficult trap to get out . Management should be blamed for this as well for the significant governance failures that happened.

I read today that most of the bags and gear are still wrapped up in her house!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Probably more in it for the shopping itself or instagram likes than being seen out with the gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Mostly I don't understand a love for handbags.
    A nice bespoke leather satchel perhaps. Or a useful waterproof backpack. Even a medieval style side purse on a belt. But handbags?! Mostly they look like awful yokes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Mostly I don't understand a love for handbags.
    A nice bespoke leather satchel perhaps. Or a useful waterproof backpack. Even a medieval style side purse on a belt. But handbags?! Mostly they look like awful yokes

She needed more time to steal enough for gladrags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I don't get this. How do people think they can get away with it? If I was a thief, I'd be reasonable and steal a small amount like €10,000 every year. Might not get noticed.

went on for 6 years.
    she clearly did get away with it for quite some time.
    I guess after the first few times she felt she wouldn't be

poor pet has received hate mail....surprised suspended sentences weren't dished out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Considering the stuff she spent it on and not even opening some of the packages would suggest some sort of mental issue to me.

Mind boggles that it took a new director coming in to spot a 750,000 hole in the finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Nah, she'll get a slap on the wrist over either amount. What's the point in stealing pennies? Go big or go home

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

paw patrol wrote: »
    went on for 6 years.
    she clearly did get away with it for quite some time.
    I guess after the first few times she felt she wouldn't be

poor pet has received hate mail....surprised suspended sentences weren't dished out

Awww poor thief.

She needed more time to steal enough for gladrags.

Oh, handbags are time machines! This I did not know and it significantly raises their value in my estimation.

Awww poor thief.

That's what I always say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

If your going to steal that amount at least spend it on something useful, rather than overpriced designer tat.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭POBox19

Mimon wrote: »
    Considering the stuff she spent it on and not even opening some of the packages would suggest some sort of mental issue to me.

Mind boggles that it took a new director coming in to spot a 750,000 hole in the finances.

What about the fat cat expensive AUDITORS. Their job is to comb the accounts each year and certify that the books are a true and accurate account of the state of the company finances????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

That sounds fairly sad really. Theres more going on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Plenty more of this goes uncovered every year. NGOs and Charities are the worst offenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭BrianD3

One other thing I thought of was - 2009 to 2015 encompassed the Troika/austerity era, the spotlight should have been on finances and spending in all public bodies. Yet this happened.

From Donegal Education Centre's Mission Statement, to clarify where its funding comes from.
    Donegal Education Support Centre is one of a national network of 21 Education Support
    Centres. The Centre is directly funded by the Department of Education & Skills (DES)
    through the Teacher Education Section (TES) under the National Development Plan and
    works with the DES to ensure the professional learning needs of our teachers and school
    leaders are supported.

Advertisement