Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two million CCP party members imbedded around the world

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Esel wrote: »
    What is the main take-away from this thread?

That General Tso’s chicken.

That China has the capability and likely is, engaging in spying through the use of civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

How much money could I make for acting as a Chinese spy?

'Bout fiddy cent..

Seriously though, look up the '50 cent army'

Since 2000, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has been mobilising what's colloquially known as the 50-cent army – internet trolls that sway public opinion in favour of the CCP.
    The regime hires mostly government employees, at supposedly RMB 0.5 per post (hence its name) to fabricate lies and strike critics on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Esel wrote: »
    What is the main take-away from this thread?

racist :pac:

conorhal wrote: »
    'Bout fiddy cent..

Since 2000, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has been mobilising what's colloquially known as the 50-cent army – internet trolls that sway public opinion in favour of the CCP.
    The regime hires mostly government employees, at supposedly RMB 0.5 per post (hence its name) to fabricate lies and strike critics on social media.

Yup. You'd do better in the US. Join the NSA, get to do similar work, and get paid much better.

• Advertisement

conorhal wrote: »
    'Bout fiddy cent..

SF do not even pay that rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

As much as I dislike the Chinese Communists I think we should join the belt and road initiative and bring in the Chinese to build some proper infrastructure here like thousands of high rise apartments in Cork and Dublin, Dublin Metro and High-speed rail and a Motorway to every county. The cost of all this would be less than the billions squandered this year. Say what you like about the Chinese but they run a tight ship, make the important investments to grow the economy and know how to deal with criminals properly.

Life would be better off for Ireland if we were a colony of China than having corrupt FF destroy this country every generation again and again without any investment into the public system only mass theft and crony enrichment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

theguzman wrote: »
    As much as I dislike the Chinese Communists I think we should join the belt and road initiative and bring in the Chinese to build some proper infrastructure here like thousands of high rise apartments in Cork and Dublin, Dublin Metro and High-speed rail and a Motorway to every county. The cost of all this would be less than the billions squandered this year. Say what you like about the Chinese but they run a tight ship, make the important investments to grow the economy and know how to deal with criminals properly.

Life would be better off for Ireland if we were a colony of China than having corrupt FF destroy this country every generation again and again without any investment into the public system only mass theft and crony enrichment.

Belt and Road is being quietly canned. As a geopolitical influence operation it has been a failure, though you wont hear the China Daily say it. And on the debtor end, many of the projects are pork barrel bridges to nowhere where the loan conditions are frequently onerous. It's also injected windfalls of cash into unstable and corrupt countries and the money has disappeared into black holes. The political and social consequences of being in the red to China are not attractive, particularly for a stable developed democracy.

Western democracies can borrow on extremely favorable terms already.

The only thing China could offer is an army of engineers of dubious quality* and cheap labour displacing the breakfast roll man.

*Signature infrastructure projects in China are still heavily reliant on European and North American expertise, remember that when cooing at the latest Chinese megaproject being wheeled out on CGTN.

theguzman wrote: »

I've lived almost 13 years in China now... and no no no no no no.... Ireland most certainly wouldn't be better off.

God no. That country is a mess. You really don't appreciate just how good Ireland is. Come live in China... once your honeymoon period is over (about 7 months), you'll start to see just how messed up that nation is.

Don't get me wrong. I have loved living in China as a foreigner.. but I would never want to be Chinese, or worse yet, a subject of China.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

My sister toured South East Asia and China back in 2014 , she liked China the least by far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I've lived almost 13 years in China now... and no no no no no no.... Ireland most certainly wouldn't be better off.

God no. That country is a mess. You really don't appreciate just how good Ireland is. Come live in China... once your honeymoon period is over (about 7 months), you'll start to see just how messed up that nation is.

Don't get me wrong. I have loved living in China as a foreigner.. but I would never want to be Chinese, or worse yet, a subject of China.

I sub to a few anti CCP accounts on twitter and some of the videos make them seem like a very cold people, if you get run over or faint in the streets, people will just ignore you. I even saw one of a toddler being run over and no reaction, obviously #notall but still it says something.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I sub to a few anti CCP accounts on twitter and some of the videos make them seem like a very cold people, if you get run over or faint in the streets, people will just ignore you. I even saw one of a toddler being run over and no reaction, obviously #notall but still it says something.

Ahh well, you know yourself that such accounts are biased to focus on the negatives. Yes, the avoidance of trouble is a strong part of their culture going back to the cultural revolution, and further back to the early days. They still have the culture of silence, and desperately avoid being noticed. The avoiding of someone hurt in the street, is the real fear of scams, which can result in blackmail, assault, or financial claims.

At the same time, my university students each semester go out on to the streets, and countryside to help the poor. We're talking about thousands of students heading into very poor areas to provide funds, clothes, and education to those who can't avail of the state benefits (for whatever reason). This is not a Party, University, or authority driven exercise... the students organise themselves, and do it all by themselves. I've found them doing such things in four different universities in two cities.

There's a lot of 'bad' in China.. there's also a lot of 'good'. It's a massive country... very complicated. It's a nation of contradictions, far more than any other country I've been to.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    My sister toured South East Asia and China back in 2014 , she liked China the least by far

Different strokes for different folks. And it depends on where she went, and the type of experiences she sought.

I'd place China about halfway on my list of countries that I liked... I found Thailand to be mostly worse than China, same with Cambodia. Whereas I'd place Vietnam, Korea, and Japan, high on my list... (although, I still love the city I live in now[Xi'an], and would put it very high in comparison to other cities I've lived in)

But I know people (m/f) who adore China.. and have lived there longer than I have. It really depends on your experience, and what your expectations were going in... simply travelling around a country does little to give any real insight about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,007 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

biko wrote: »
    2 million spies, only China could pull that off.

You do realise that there is at least one Chinese restaurant in almost every town and village in Europe, The USA, Australia, NZ, etc?

Their network is massive and they have been building it for decades. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

cnocbui wrote: »
    You do realise that there is at least one Chinese restaurant in almost every town and village in Europe, The USA, Australia, NZ, etc?

Their network is massive and they have been building it for decades. ;)

Lol, if that's the case, we should have the largest spy network in the world with our pubs.

Advertisement