Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love Ireland. the I love Ireland thread.

Options
2»

Comments

Should have chosen the UAE. What the hell is wrong with you!? :pac:

Oman > UAE unless you are some kind of soulless monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm just a sexy boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Actually, it's Dublin and Cork Vs the countryside....

And the countryside has just taken the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Actually, it's Dublin and Cork Vs the countryside....

Or so Cork people like to keep telling themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

And the countryside has just taken the lead.

Woud be a first - normally they just follow...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really don't get or see this grey, grim, overpriced or depressing place that people often mention.

Ignoring all the Covid stuff this year, Ireland is a beautiful country with great countryside, coastline and towns and cities.

A vibrant social scene, love of arts and music, good quality food in our shops, and people who in my experience have an outlook on life and ability to enjoy life unlike many other nationalities I have met.

I've lived abroad in The Netherlands and the people to me whilst nice and friendly are dull and dour and speaking of grey, the whole country is practically one colour, towns all red or brown brick and not colourful like you'd see in Irish villages.

I know many may not like the weather, and I won't argue with it but even a few days ago it was bright and crisp which was nice and also we don't get extremes like other places.

I'm very happy to be back and I think people need to go abroad for a while to realise what is good here.

Thank you!

My sentiments exactly. Life happens wherever you go, it's up to you to make it an enjoyable experience and there is no effort to that here in Ireland.

It has its limitations. In the sense of it is only a pop. of 4.9 million. So it annoys me when people moan we don't have this, that or the other. Why would we? We are a small nation separated away from Europe what do you expect?

There's an obsession with the naysayers of Ireland about what we don't have. Go away, and live somewhere else and you'll fast realise what we lack, we make up in other areas in abundance.

We don't in any way take ourselves seriously. We are pleasant and approachable, although some people would say we aren't on here, and to them, I would say judging by their negative posts look closer to home first.

We have amazing beauty on this island, you can go to an isolated part of beautiful coastline in the west in Ireland if you so wish and have it to yourself.

It is a fair society as well. You can disagree with that but you're wrong. You are given every chance to better yourself here and move up the borderless socio-economic ladder if you wish. You will get grants, government aid to get an education or do an apprenticeship, even start a business. Some people hark on about "the rich" honestly you don't even know what a class system is until you've lived somewhere like England. If you work hard and apply yourself you will be helped here. Without any crippling debt as well.

An amazing nightlife here as well btw. Although the nightclubs leave a lot to be desired. People know that singing Mr. Brightside or sweet Caroline is naff but who gives af, it's good craic and that's the essence of it all. And again underpins ourselves as people who want to have a good time, without taking ourselves seriously.

I love Ireland, bad weather and all.

Well, I love whenever I return to Ireland, and stay with my parents in the Midlands. Ireland has changed so much over the last few decades, and I quite like most of those changes.

After living abroad, with all the great and bad food available, I've grown to appreciate the food here, in ways I never did before I left. The quality of food here is generally higher than in many other countries. The Roasts, the steaks, the stews, odd fry/grill. Oh lord, it's good. And, the chocolate/munchies available is better than many other places.

I've little interest in Dublin. It's just an airport. Not intending any offense to the Dubs, but there's far more to Ireland than Dublin.

As for the weather, it's not that bad. In many ways, I think it's better now than when I was a kid (Midlands area)

Well, I love whenever I return to Ireland, and stay with my parents in the Midlands. Ireland has changed so much over the last few decades, and I quite like most of those changes.

After living abroad, with all the great and bad food available, I've grown to appreciate the food here, in ways I never did before I left. The quality of food here is generally higher than in many other countries. The Roasts, the steaks, the stews, odd fry/grill. Oh lord, it's good. And, the chocolate/munchies available is better than many other places.

I've little interest in Dublin. It's just an airport. Not intending any offense to the Dubs, but there's far more to Ireland than Dublin.

As for the weather, it's not that bad. In many ways, I think it's better now than when I was a kid (Midlands area)

Up until that last line, I was in agreement with you...

It is bad. It can;t even snow porperly any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Up until that last line, I was in agreement with you...

It is bad. It can;t even snow porperly any more!
    Be careful want you wish for.

4 cm of snow and Dubliners start looting German discount supermarkets!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Ireland is a great spot all things considered. In my experience it's people who have never left the place that have the biggest issue with it.

I would encourage those people to travel and get a bit of perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Ireland is a great spot all things considered. In my experience it's people who have never left the place that have the biggest issue with it.

Does your live revolve around GAA and drinking? That sort of prevailing culture found in Ireland, lacking in say, Saudia Arabia.

Be careful want you wish for.

4 cm of snow and Dubliners start looting German discount supermarkets!!!

4cm? I'm not moving for at least 15 (she said)

Advertisement