Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo publician hero

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

COVID FREE pub

Free Covid with every pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

COVID FREE pub

Free Covid with every pint.

But not free if you purchase a meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Strumms wrote: »
    Tests between 5-7 hmmm... that will be adhered to for about 3 days.

Can distancing be maintained ?..not after alcohol

Only people from the area ? That will guarantee zero covid transmission? Only people from the area ? So as well as not caring about covid he doesn’t care about the fact that that can and would be viewed as discrimination? Ie. Against the law ? If I have a barber shop and a fella walks in “ nope, don’t know you, not from around here “... illegal..

But the 9€ magic meal would give better protection?

Even if not eaten?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Zebra3 wrote: »
    But the 9€ magic meal would give better protection?

Even if not eaten?

Don’t even pretend not to understand why a substantial meal should be had with drinks.

You’ll just look really foolish.

Ya don't ask, ya don't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I confess to not hearing interview but was aware of the story, I'm somewhat baffled by this. Firstly who paid for the tests, secondly who did the tests and thirdly how long did these tests take. More alarming is the fact that these tests, similar to those used for travel purposes don't appear to have the confidence of public health officials, also, getting whatever test, doesn't mean you can't catch the virus.

I admire the initiative but have to say, bizzare, alarming and really questionable. I've this strange image in my mind of punters waiting in smoking areas for test results, just Odd in the extreme.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Testing is not the magic solution.
    If a test could immediately declare a person safe, there would be no quarantine anywhere just simple 10 minute test and freedom.

Testing everyone entering a pub is surely a help but far from a guarantee of being covid free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I confess to not hearing interview but was aware of the story, I'm somewhat baffled by this. Firstly who paid for the tests, secondly who did the tests and thirdly how long did these tests take. More alarming is the fact that these tests, similar to those used for travel purposes don't appear to have the confidence of public health officials, also, getting whatever test, doesn't mean you can't catch the virus.

I posted this on the main Covid thread but I'll repeat it here.

This pub was apparently using tests they bought from a company based in Claremorris called Communicare Medical Supplies. They have no information on their website as to what Covid tests they sell, what they measure or how accurate they are. Any claims of being 99% accurate are likely from the manufacturer themselves and cannot be trusted to apply to a real life setting.

These rapid tests havent been approved for use by the HSE. Any positive results from this pub would therefore not be reported to the HSPC or be contact traced. Its completely uncontrolled.

These rapid tests have poor sensitivity. They WILL miss cases due to not being able to detect low levels of the virus. You have to be highly infectious and likely symptomatic to produce a positive result. Anyone displaying Covid symptoms shouldn't be anywhere near a pub.

Also this pub in Aghamore is not far from Claremorris which currently has one of the highest incidence of Covid cases in the country. With Covid circulating in the community, using this test would lead to a false sense of security and could lead to further transmission.

It was a stupid idea and was always going to lead to trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I posted this on the main Covid thread but I'll repeat it here.

This pub was apparently using tests they bought from a company based in Claremorris called Communicare Medical Supplies. They have no information on their website as to what Covid tests they sell, what they measure or how accurate they are. Any claims of being 99% accurate are likely from the manufacturer themselves and cannot be trusted to apply to a real life setting.

These rapid tests havent been approved for use by the HSE. Any positive results from this pub would therefore not be reported to the HSPC or be contact traced. Its completely uncontrolled.

These rapid tests have poor sensitivity. They WILL miss cases due to not being able to detect low levels of the virus. You have to be highly infectious and likely symptomatic to produce a positive result. Anyone displaying Covid symptoms shouldn't be anywhere near a pub.

Also this pub in Aghamore is not far from Claremorris which currently has one of the highest incidence of Covid cases in the country. With Covid circulating in the community, using this test would lead to a false sense of security and could lead to further transmission.

It was a stupid idea and was always going to lead to trouble.

I’m my opinion the HPRA should be advising what COVID tests.. kits, instruments or devices are approved and kosher...this becomes known via laboratory testing.. any company using a kit or device not submitted for approval and not approved by the HPRA... you are in breach of the law... will be summoned to appear before a judge..it’s a medical device so my understanding is that it falls under this legislation. I can’t decide I’m making a heart rate monitor to be sold to a hospital, or a painkiller... without it being submitted for testing and approval.... makes sense that the HPRA should and even DO oversee these kits / devices, if not they need that power...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m my opinion the HPRA should be advising what COVID tests.. kits, instruments or devices are approved and kosher...this becomes known via laboratory testing.. any company using a kit or device not submitted for approval and not approved by the HPRA... you are in breach of the law... will be summoned to appear before a judge..it’s a medical device so my understanding is that it falls under this legislation. I can’t decide I’m making a heart rate monitor to be sold to a hospital, or a painkiller... without it being submitted for testing and approval.... makes sense that the HPRA should and even DO oversee these kits / devices, if not they need that power...
    Doubt it falls under the definition of a medical device as its primary function is achieved solely through pharmacological action.

Even then I'd wager that there's a disclaimer as long as your arm stating "Not a medical test, not for diagnostic use, positive results are not a guarantee of disease, negative results not a guarantee of health, not to be used as proof of or lack of disease, consult your doctor for a real test etc."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Allinall wrote: »
    Don’t even pretend not to understand why a substantial meal should be had with drinks.

You’ll just look really foolish.

Maybe I will end up looking "really foolish", but I'll bite...

Please, do explain to us why a substantial meal should be had with drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

dotsman wrote: »
    Maybe I will end up looking "really foolish", but I'll bite...

Please, do explain to us why a substantial meal should be had with drinks.

It's to stop you getting C19.
    An 8.99 meal would put you at risk of infection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How expensive are these tests? How many pints would paddy have to buy so the pub owner would recoup the cost of the test

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

There is a dedicated forum to discuss everything Covid related. All I'm seeing from this thread is the mass repetition of both sides of the argument For OR VS restrictions, specifically those related to pubs.

Feel free to discuss the matter further here.

This thread however is being closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement