Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering moving to drogheda

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Do you have kids? If so, what ages?

How many bedrooms do you need? What is your budget? What is your parents' budget?

Getting two houses very close by might be difficult unless in a new build estate.

Commuting by train to Dublin is easy but your preferred location is on the other side of town from the train station so you couldn't walk there and there are daily parking fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Skyte

What about the buses that run through town every 30 mins, they can take you to and from the train station? Are they reliable enough? Not from drogheda its a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

These bus routes are fairly new in Drogheda and I haven't heard anything good/bad about them - but there's some traffic crossing the river during peak hours and I can't imagine how buses could bypass the congestion (there are no dedicated bus lanes).

There are plans for thousands of new homes in the north of Drogheda, so perhaps there will be newer / better / bolder solutions to the congestion in future, I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I take the bus to the station in the mornings and they are fine, never had any issue with them.

The way back home in the evenings though, that's a different story. Traffic is brutal outside the station. I get to Drogheda around 6pm (Irish Rail permitting) and I walk home rather than wait a lifetime for the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rabc365

Hi I am looking into moving to the south side of Drogheda, close to the train station

Would it be possible to commute by car, I work in the city center beside merrion square, If leaving by near 6 in the morning ?

If not the bus eireann 100x appears too be the quickest journey time, how reliable are the bus journey times for bus eireann and matthews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 drogcam

The 100x from my experience isn't very reliable. It's rarely on time at the Drogheda depot. Depending on where you want to move on the south side the Matthews bus could be a better option. There's a stop on the south side on the Donore Road and the Bettystown Matthews bus starts from Grange Rath just off the Dublin road at Southgate Shopping. Best option for you would be the bus that goes to UCD (via the port tunnel) which stops at Westland Row.

https://www.matthews.ie/timetable/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

My experience is from a few years ago but Matthews coach heading to UCD is not immune to the horrible city centre traffic. It would be quicker to take any Matthews coach that goes via Port Tunnel (to IFSC etc) and to walk across Liffey to Merrion Square.

You can drive to Dublin of course, but M1 can get very busy but moving that early in the morning. Any later in the day, it will be a lot of stop and go and gridlocks.

Another option is to get the train to Pearse station. Fingers crossed train options improves with the Dart+ and associated line electrification by 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ikayp

Hey everyone, sorry for butting in on this, I'm also looking to buy an apartment in Drogheda so I'm hoping to find some feedback from someone who knows/lives in the area. I'm looking at either Preston's Mill in Wellington Quay, or The Square in Riverbank.

My question is mostly about the community. I am a single woman and working in healthcare. There will be times I would have to work night shifts so loud and boisterous neighborhood can be a slight dilemma for me although not necessarily a major drawback, it will be one of the things for me to consider; and I'm also hoping to get into an estate where I wouldn't have to worry about my own safety especially when walking home alone at night.. commute is not much of a problem as I'm waiting on a transfer to the local hospital so long commute will be temporary.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated. Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 caesared

Posting on this very long thread as well. I'm planning on buying a house in the Ballymakenny Park. Is the area good?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on it. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

Ballymakenny Park is a brand new area, lots of building going on (will be up to 5k houses when the area is fully completed).

At the moment, there aren't many facilities there - shops are planned, but I haven't seen any yet

New ring road will offer a shortcut to the motorway, due to open mid-2024. Until then, you'll have to battle the already busy Crosslanes.

Can't comment on the houses themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 caesared

@gipi appreciate a lot your comment, I just bought a house in the development. It seems very nice and however there aren’t much facilities at the moment I really think they will build some stores around as there are a lot of new buildings going on

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Drog79

There are some nice areas around the hospital, walking late at night to either the willows or Preston mill wouldn't be great. Although Preston mill I think is beside a pizza delivery, so people around.

There is currently a terraced cottage on mell in Drogheda, which would be a short walk through an estate and nice quiet area

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-11-singleton-cottages-mell-drogheda-co-louth/5579979

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

That cottage requires major renovation before it could be habitable. It doesn't have central heating, and previous sale photos showed an outdoor loo (and didn't show any indoors!)

It's a nice area, it's on a busy road though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Definitely something wrong when they only have 2 pics

• Registered Users Posts: 4 daanponzio

I'm planning on buying a house in the Gort Mell, Beside M1 Retail park. Is the area good?

Many thanks in advance

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The general area you are in is fine, although it is not really in a defined area what with being a new estate in a green field. I'd consider the pricing to be a bit on the high side, but I'm sure you have done your homework regarding what else is in the area. My only concern would be motorway noise, being so close to the M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mrox

I can see that this thread is still going on, so I will jump also with a question. We are thinking of maybe buying a house in Kestrel Manor, and wanted to hear some feedback about the area. We have a 4 year old and both of us work in Dublin. Commute won't be an issue, as anyway at the moment we spend more than an hour going/coming from work in rush hours. I can see that the area has few shops, green areas, schools around so that's perfect. I guess I am asking a feedback from an antisocial perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Lagan Homes is the developer. Avoid.

The list of issues in Newtown Wood, also by Lagan, is endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 daanponzio

Do you know about the issues, I'm trying to find anyone that had problems with houses.

The main problem is that all builders have issues as I saw on Facebook, specially Glenveagh,unfortunately, there is no way to escape

Advertisement