Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering moving to drogheda

Options
  • 10-12-2020 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

As the title says, i'm aiming to move to drogheda sometime next year but have never really been around the area aside from laytown and bettystown.

Is there much difference between the northside and southside of drogheda? There's a place northeast im considering but i'd like to be close to the gyms in the southwest - i can be fairly lazy at the best of times so ease of travel would help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you are commuting to Dublin in order to access M1 from North Drogheda you must pay a toll or go through the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 WarbossPepe

Cheers elperello, wasn't aware of that before. Bit of a scummy move having a toll point right outside a town like that. Hoping to be working remotely so it shouldn't impact too much.

Do you know what the story is between the north and south of drogheda? Only thing i know about the town is from what gets told from the media really - not generally the most flattering

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭POBox19

"i'd like to be close to the gyms in the southwest".

Decision made right there!
    Crossing the town from either side can be a nightmare at times and if being close to the gym is important you just have to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

There is a massive difference between the Meath and Louth sides of Drogheda. Generally the Dublin road area on the South side is the nicest place to live and is where the train station is.

Like all towns there are places to avoid. Put up the locations of where you are looking and I can give some feedback.

Its looking like the knightswood area, or the beaulieu village area. Pretty opposite parts of the town really.

• Advertisement

POBox19 wrote: »
    Decision made right there!
    Crossing the town from either side can be a nightmare at times and if being close to the gym is important you just have to be there.

haha yeah its definitely leaning that way. wish the bank balance felt the same way though

Its looking like the knightswood area, or the beaulieu village area. Pretty opposite parts of the town really.
    Are you buying or renting?

Knightswood is close to Knockbrack Downs which is not a great area (not the worst either mind), lots of houses sold over the years considering that is a relatively new estate and there are quite a few social housing tenants there. Houses in Knightswood look nice though and would be handy for the motorway.

Beaulieu Village is on the outskirts of town, would be a massive pain to commute to Dublin from there tbh. Its in the Aston village area which while alright wouldn't be the best area with lots of renters there too.

Of the two I would say Knightswood (which is in Co Meath) would be better as it is much better for commute to Dublin. I will be buying a house in Drogheda next year, personally I probably wouldn't buy in either of those places unless I needed the first time buyer rebate on a new house. Knightswood I would consider, Beaulieu because of the places near it and because commute would be a nightmare I would write off.

However, both of those developments are built by J.Murphy who have a great reputation and build good houses. The father, Joe Murphy built in Drogheda since the seventies and built my parents estate. The estates look nice and houses are good, so its only the area which would be a consideration.

I would rent in either of those with no hesitation. My criticisms are based on this being a major life purchase and being stuck there for decades with kids etc. If its just you and where kids will go to school, play with friends etc are not a consideration then it would be grand too.

Have you looked in the Mornington or Donacarney area?

Or if your budget is in the 250k bracket have you considered a second hand house in one of the estates on the Dublin road? For 240k you will get something decent in somewhere like five oaks or Grange Rath?

Of the two I would say Knightswood (which is in Co Meath) would be better as it is much better for commute to Dublin. I will be buying a house in Drogheda next year, personally I probably wouldn't buy in either of those places unless I needed the first time buyer rebate on a new house. Knightswood I would consider, Beaulieu because of the places near it and because commute would be a nightmare I would write off.

Yeah hoping to get my own place, first time round so the rebate is the purchasing driver here.

Mornington looks lovely. I've actually done a retreat in the school out there once. Looked up some homes there but its way out of my price range unfortunately. They do look lovely. All houses look lovely after renting in dublin the past 10 years though 😂

Thats spot on about the developer. Its the sort of thing i'm a bit clueless about so its good to hear that they've some history worth mentioning.

Which areas would you be looking to buy in, if the rebates isn't a factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

New builds in Liscorrie handy for Matthews bus, I live on north side of town can get caught out with traffic but usually 10-15mins to get from hospital to the black bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Have a look at Berford in Duleek. Lovely little village. Would be 5mins further out than Knightswood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Beaulieu Village would be a good choice I think, walkable to town for whenever we are able to go out again, a short spin to the beautiful beaches in Termonfeckin and Clogherhead. There is a popular gym Integral, in the Boyne business park nearby.

There is no better side to Drogheda, we locals always prefer our side never the "FAA side" which can be either side but always the one you don't live in😂. I've lived on both sides so don't know where I stand🀪

There are areas with more antisocial behaviour, mainly social housing areas where unfortunately like places all over the Country the few make life difficult for the majority of decent people. There is no large social housing near Beaulieu village.

Murphy builders have been around a long time and have a very good reputation, of course wherever you buy do all the usual surveys etc.

Traffic crossing the town is not that bad, except for last week when there were roadworks everywhere. It's busy at school times and a few other times but rarely very bad. I cross the town many times a day, you get to know where to avoid and ways around if it is busy.

If it were me I would visit the areas I'm looking at at different times and days to see what it's really like. The Meath being better than Louth comments made me laugh, this may be more to do with GAA than housing😂

Just to be clear, when I said the "Meath side" most of this area except for the extremities like Grange Rath or Knightswood are in County Louth not Meath (Although St Mary's parish is in the Diocese of Meath, whereas St Peters is in Armagh). So nothing to do with GAA! The Dublin road is the nicest and most affluent area in the town which is why the houses have a considerable premium on the price. But of course its all relative, nicest and most affluent in Drogheda is not like Killiney or something.

I say this as a Drogheda person myself (who has also lived on both sides!) who likely will not be able to afford a house in the area I'd prefer. As for the locals, a huge amount of the town are blow ins which is good as the town used to be quite insular, except for the fact that a considerable amount of people rarely go into the actual town centre itself but rather go to the retail parks and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

i'd like to be close to the gyms in the southwest - i can be fairly lazy at the best of times so ease of travel would help.

As in SouthWest of the country? If you are looking to travel out of Drogheda, stay to the left of R132 on the map if closer to town. Easy enough to join the M1 (toll or not) and get to anywhere in absolutely no time (although M1 will eventually become like M50, but it was not there yet, pre-covid, although definitely getting there).

If you want to be able to commute to Dublin etc & want to be in walking distance to pubs etc, Dublin road area is the best imho. If you were to give up one or the other of these requirements, there is so much more choice around Drogheda.

Best of luck with the move!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I made the move out this direction about 9 years ago from dublin. I rented in the area for 6 months to be sure it was the right move.

I did the commute to dublin for 4 years and it nearly killed me - sitting on the M1 / M50 was heart breaking .. but for the last 4 years i've been remote working more than 90% of the time so now well settled.

I'm out the Termonfeckin / Baltray area so do have to suffer traffic a rush hours if I ever need to get across the town.

As for Gyms - plenty to choose from but in my opinion Boyneside on the quays is the best !

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

I've moved from Dublin to Drogheda only in the last few weeks. Bought a house in Marian Park which is a quiet mature estate on the southside less than 10 mins walk from the town centre (all old houses, no new builds).
    I've had the requirement to travel to Dublin regularly for work and other reasons since moving and have used matthews buses which stop on the Donore Road very close to where I live. Travel time to Dublin (3arena via Port Tunnel or Cathal Brugha Street via Whitehall) is about 35-40 mins and about an hour door to door for work. This is more than can be said for commuting to work while living in some parts of Dublin, although this is travelling during the pandemic so can't comment on what it's normally like.
    Really liking Drogheda so far. Town centre is great and everything you need is there without having to go to the retail parks too often.
    I'm looking forward to trying a few pubs when things get back to some normality...there's a vast amount of them for the size of the place but I'm sure there'll be some that won't re-open due to the multiple lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RobiS

Hello,

Can anyone please advise about the place Oldbridge Manor, its a new Estate (end of Rathmullan Road), is it good or bad erea etc, I am considering of moving do Droheda from Dublin. The second option I would consider is Doncarney.

In Drogheda in general, Moneymore and Rathmullan Park are the two 'disadvantaged' areas, but they're like pretty much all other estates nowadays, seen as there's social housing everywhere. The reputation of the estate itself isn't necessarily something worth looking at. What's important is where the specific house you're looking at is, in the estate in general.

For example, Knockbrack Downs has a worse reputation than Knightswood (both estates are practically next door to each other). Yet I know someone in Knockbrack that's never had a minute's hassle, and I know someone in Knightswood that hates the place because of their neighbours.

Beaulieu Village is not somewhere I'd consider. It's way too far out of the town, and it's positioned in a location that means you run into all the heavy traffic. To get from Beaulieu Village to the M1 (assuming you're happy to pay the toll) you're looking at sitting in what is probably the worst of Drogheda traffic. It's also too far out from town that you'd never randomly just walk into town (it's over a half an hour walk) unless you were specifically going out for a walk.

(just my opinion though, of course)

JethroC wrote: »
    Bought a house in Marian Park

Marian Park is a great spot to live. Like most areas, some places within Marian Park are nicer than others (not so much anti social behaviour or such, but more that some houses are on a busy road, others are tucked away in corners with no traffic nearby).

RobiS wrote: »
    Can anyone please advise about the place Oldbridge Manor

As I say above, all estates have good and bad areas. Oldbridge Manor isn't finished and only a handful of the houses are tenanted so far, so it's hard to tell where the good and bad parts are going to be, but in general it seems like a nice area. It's at the edge of the town, and right beside a massive school that creates lots of school-run traffic on a road that, arguably, isn't up to the demand, but for quality of life, it's right beside the boardwalk and the closest house estate to the Oldbridge visitor centre, which is a nice area to go for walking or relaxing on those rare sunny days.

I'm not sure what's going on in Drogheda at the moment. I keep an eye on the likes of Daft and such, but there doesn't really seem to be much for sale lately at all. You'd normally have a lot more houses for sale than are up at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

RobiS wrote: »
    Can anyone please advise about the place Oldbridge Manor.
    At €275k for the smallest 3 bed semi's I'd say it's vastly overpriced. You'd get the same in the estate across the road, Riverbank, for €210k or in Highlands for €215k.

There has been planning permission granted (and then revoked) for 660 houses in the field next to it. I expect this development will go ahead in some form in the near future.

Edit: actually, looking at PropertypriceRegister I see these houses have been dropped to €246k. Still overpriced IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭gipi

Scotty # wrote: »
    At €275k for the smallest 3 bed semi's I'd say it's vastly overpriced. You'd get the same in the estate across the road, Riverbank, for €210k or in Highlands for €215k.

There has been planning permission granted (and then revoked) for 660 houses in the field next to it. I expect this development will go ahead in some form in the near future.

Edit: actually, looking at PropertypriceRegister I see these houses have been dropped to €246k. Still overpriced IMO.

The property price register shows the price of new houses ex-VAT, so the price to the punter may not have dropped at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

gipi wrote: »
    The property price register shows the price of new houses ex-VAT, so the price to the punter may not have dropped at all
    ahh... so that's why they are bizarre figures like €246,696.03. Add on 13.5% and you get €280,000.

€280,000 for a 3 bed semi that's smaller than 1100 ft on Rathmullen Road is bananas!

Two sold recently across the road in Riverbank for €205k and €207k. They sold in about a week, I can see now why!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Sophia Petrillo

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jackstow

Hi everybody, I'm on the same boat as many here, considering moving from Swords to Drogheda. I'd have to come to Swords 2 days per week, so commute might not be my biggest concern.

I'm looking at this development called Avourwen, which is to the south and close to the m1. Any thoughts on this estate or in this area that I should be aware?

I've a girl at school age, so I'd have to arrange a school nearby, GP, etc. Anything that you can share I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I Drove from monasterboice to meadowview in Drogheda on sunday at 2pm .

24 mins ! Absolutely crazy for a journey of 12km.

i Could have been in Dundalk or Navan quicker.

Wouldnt live in Drogheda if i got a free house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

There's a crazy amount of traffic lights and pedestrian crossings on that road. In all seriousness there shouldn't be a toll at so many spots around drogheda. You'd do that trip in half the time if you hopped onto the motorway at Monasterboice and off at the Donore Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Drogheda has a port and a lot of heavy traffic access it right thru the town.

Inbound traffic from Dublin road backups often because the traffic turning right to Shop St / Termonfeckin etc blocks traffic that wants to go straight thru as well.

Walking along Dublin road up to Black Bull is horrible with all the heavy trucks thundering by.

Traffic coming into town from Trinity st also gets backed up like crazy.

Town is completely neglected from traffic point of view. A separate access road to the port would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mcfa

Hi @jackstow did you end up moving to Avourwen? I was looking into buying in the development myself, but Bryanstown Wood is also on my radar at the moment.

Anyone living in either of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jackstow

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I did book a property there and have been considering other options in the meantime while I wait for the contract and everything. So far, I did not find anything better, all other developments around dublin are much more expensive. There will be another up in north drogheda, ballymakeny park, which is also on my radar, properties in there seems better, but it is too far from amenities, shops, city center and train station, whereas in Avourwen you can have access to all of it within walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mcfa

Hi, thanks for replying. I actually ended up booking in Bryanstown wood. For what I can tell the south side is indeed more convenient than the north. I really liked the houses in newtown wood but the northern location made us choose Bryanstown wood. We preferred the house there to Avourwen.

good luck to you ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Vernian

I've noticed this chain started in 2020, but since the last response was about 6 weeks ago, I'm going to give it a try :-)

My husband and I are moving from London (UK) to Ireland and are seriously considering Drogheda. I work in IT so will likely be doing part time remote buy a day or 2 a week in Dublin.

Everyone has talked about commuting as if you;d have to drive. Are there any issues with taking the train to Dublin and back instead?

My parents will be moving to be closer to us and we'd love to get 2 houses that are if not right next to eachother, then within easy walking distance so I can check in on them daily. We're considering that area east of the hospital. I think the area name is Newfoundwells. We don't have children so schools are not an issue. Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of neighborhood that is?

thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Termonfeckin Road area has some nice estates.

West Court, College Rise, Harmony Heights etc.

Mostly owner occupied.

Advertisement