Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland stays in the EU forever

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I was talking to a member of the missus's family and he was voting for brexit, he's a really nice man but his point was simply "there's too many foreigners we need the money for ourselves they have to go". I asked him what about the ones who'd been there for decades, "doesn't matter they have to go back" what about their kids, their grandkids even "no matter they have to go too". I said you realise you are talking about your own wife and kids - "well not them obviously!" His missus also voted for it and she's fúcking Irish!

OK then, i can see you've thought this through!

LOL

He from up north or down south spongey?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was talking to a member of the missus's family and he was voting for brexit, he's a really nice man but his point was simply "there's too many foreigners we need the money for ourselves they have to go". I asked him what about the ones who'd been there for decades, "doesn't matter they have to go back" what about their kids, their grandkids even "no matter they have to go too". I said you realise you are talking about your own wife and kids - "well not them obviously!" His missus also voted for it and she's fúcking Irish!

OK then, i can see you've thought this through!
    Yep. Little englanders blaming the EU for what was entirely down to the fault of the British Empire.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

From Scotland!

Living in southern England for donkeys years though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

From Scotland
    Close enough... *runs* :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

My wife’s brother in law is very traditional upper class British, went to Marlborough College and is Oxbridge educated. Most of his friends are the same and I remember meeting a few of them a couple of years ago. Every one of them had voted for brexit, and they were all very senior executives in large multinationals or owned companies that traded internationally. Their reason? Too many foreigners in Britain, the Albanians got a big mention. The irony was that most of these people had holiday homes in France and had Polish gardeners, Filipino nannies, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

From Scotland!

Living in southern England for donkeys years though

My sisters Husband and his family have a similar idea and attitude to what you described. London based. I'll add he is a CFO in a large hedge fund company so not exactly uneducated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I'm actually in the UK myself at the moment and that is really the crux of it. The amount of people that blame the EU for the amount of Indians, Pakistanis, Arabs, etc is insane.. Again if it's a problem it's a UK problem not an eu problem. But hey, Cameron unwittingly gave them their boogeyman to vote on.

I'm pro EU, believe that we need to go the full way in terms of integration but arguably they feel the EU is just a symptom of this world of globalisation/mass migration. Might not be the EU responsible directly but represents the same thing.

Like everything in life; there's valid reasons for everything. IMO, unless you believe in the European project whole heartedly it's a waste of time and not fit for purpose. It's about identity. If you just see the EU as a thing that's 'good for Ireland' or whatever, it ceases to be what it was meant to be; a cultural/social project to unite the European continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Ireland is a small economy, deeply reliant on open trade , the UK is a much larger economy with a large domestic market, it can manage outside the EU in a way we could not

We often mistakenly believe in Ireland that EU membership was identical for the UK as it has been for us

I'm happy for us to remain by the way but it's not that strange that the UK would choose to leave

Definitely; but it will hurt the UK as well.

UK has done well from European integration but for them, it's a bit different. They were a great empire, now they're a well-off country amongst a group of other contries. Their reference point and narrative is a lot of different. Sometimes it's not about figures and data, it's about how things make you feel. For whatever reason, for a lot of Brits, the EU is not something they like. Even if it's economic suicide(it's not, like you said they'll survive) people are probably happy to do it for their ideals.

I think they'll be back someday in the future. The demographics are changing there and within a decade or two, I am confident they'll return.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Loads of threads on Brexit in politics and CA, no need for another.

Thread Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement