Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland stays in the EU forever

Options
  • 10-12-2020 6:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

We will never make the UK mistake and go out!

I really like to stay in the EU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gooduse

Ok.

The EU is good for Ireland and I think the young people agree here

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I laughed so much I spat out my tea....

Even if we wanted to leave we can't as we owe that much money.

Yes EU has been good for some things but also it's opened the flood gates to economic migration.

Look how we will now pay forever for the likes of Roma gypsies that can legally enter, get housed, free public transport travel, old age pension, much much more, yet they've never worked a day in their life.

Look at them all wandering around begging, aggressive begging too, they are no fools and are doing quite well for themselves, have you ever seen a skinny one either?

Since the Brits wanted to leave everyone seems to have forgotten how the EU treated Greece and Italy and forced austerity on everyone back in 2008..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Since the Brits wanted to leave everyone seems to have forgotten how the EU treated Greece and Italy and forced austerity on everyone back in 2008..

Ya The Greeks were doing such a great job on their economy, pulling down all the benefits from Brussels

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I laughed so much I spat out my tea....

Even if we wanted to leave we can't as we owe that much money.

Yes EU has been good for some things but also it's opened the flood gates to economic migration.

Look how we will now pay forever for the likes of Roma gypsies that can legally enter, get housed, free public transport travel, old age pension, much much more, yet they've never worked a day in their life.

Look at them all wandering around begging, aggressive begging too, they are no fools and are doing quite well for themselves, have you ever seen a skinny one either?

I think you'll find they were here long before they were "allowed in", either way we have plenty of our own do exactly the same thing, and I don't see why we should put up with them either. So their origin doesn't matter. This is not an eu problem, it's an Ireland problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I think you'll find they were here long before they were "allowed in", either way we have plenty of our own do exactly the same thing, and I don't see why we should put up with them either. So their origin doesn't matter. This is not an eu problem, it's an Ireland problem.

This is exactly it. The Brits blamed their own mistakes on the EU and the majority apparently bought it with little critical thinking whatsoever.

This is exactly it. The Brits blamed their own mistakes on the EU and the majority apparently bought it with little critical thinking whatsoever.

I'm actually in the UK myself at the moment and that is really the crux of it. The amount of people that blame the EU for the amount of Indians, Pakistanis, Arabs, etc is insane.. Again if it's a problem it's a UK problem not an eu problem. But hey, Cameron unwittingly gave them their boogeyman to vote on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I'm actually in the UK myself at the moment and that is really the crux of it. The amount of people that blame the EU for the amount of Indians, Pakistanis, Arabs, etc is insane..

I was in a taxi in London around the time of the brexit vote and the driver was telling me he was voting for brexit because of the amount of Chinese in the UK.

I was in a taxi in London around the time of the brexit vote and the driver was telling me he was voting for brexit because of the amount of Chinese in the UK.

I had an argument in the pub with a 60 year old gentleman I worked with about that exact topic. He was adamant Brexit would fix that!!!

It is an EU problem, they require nations to send ships to pick up migrants at sea, not even far from their own shores then bring them 100s of kilometres to Europe....
    Big big money to be made by private individuals providing the direct provision and other services.

Ther Roma gypsies flooded into mainly the UK and here as soon as Romania was added to the EU.
    We really need to buckle down and be much stricter on migration, especially economic migrants as so many are coming to get our unbelievably generous welfare system and housing system.

If you come here you work or get sent back to wherever you came from, I actually can't believe how many seem to think everything is gravy.

The costs involved in all this are eye watering.

If you commit crimes you should be removed as they are a guest on the country and we need to come down hard on crime, much more so then now and prisons need to be increased, land still sitting costing a fortune in security and nothing for it but loss of millions.

EU as I said has been good for lots but it also has its down sides too.

• Advertisement

I'm actually in the UK myself at the moment and that is really the crux of it. The amount of people that blame the EU for the amount of Indians, Pakistanis, Arabs, etc is insane.. Again if it's a problem it's a UK problem not an eu problem. But hey, Cameron unwittingly gave them their boogeyman to vote on.

For the UK it's more about where they took over in the world and those countries get to move individuals across as in the UK created its own mess, we aren't the UK and I can see us getting flooded as soon as Brexit as everyone will know how good it is here and so many want an Irish
    Passport

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kalych

We really need to buckle down and be much stricter on migration, especially economic migrants as so many are coming to get our unbelievably generous welfare system and housing system.

If you commit crimes you should be removed as they are a guest on the country and we need to come down hard on crime, much more so then now and prisons need to be increased, land still sitting costing a fortune in security and nothing for it but loss of millions.

Probably entertaining a pointless discussion, but the above from your post points to things that Ireland control, not the EU. How are EU to blame for any of it? By association of merely not letting people drown in the Mediterranean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Henryq. wrote: »
    They gave people the vote on it

Bad decision and the people voted wrong

They gave people a vote and a LOAD of lies. Lies which were a combination of:
    1. How the EU robbed the UK of its sovereignty
    2. How easy it would be to leave
    3. How much better everything would be after they left

Watch them all slink away one by one when the **** hits the fan.

“Ther Roma gypsies flooded into mainly the UK and here as soon as Romania was added to the EU.“

This is not true, you think they cared what they could legally do or not. They were here long before Romania joined and FYI a lot of them are Bulgarian and Hungarian amongst others.

There was no flood. The Roma didn’t wake up that first of January and go “it’s ok now lads, it’s legal to go to Ireland, sure that’s the thing that was stopping us”

:)

Roma gypsies are not Romanian.
    Some may be, but not necessarily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

The UK is very heavy

Have they thought about how they're going to move it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Well worth 10 mins of your time.
    The Brits were conned
    https://youtu.be/_HDFegpX5gI

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Henryq. wrote: »
    The UK is very heavy

Have they thought about how they're going to move it?

The way they’re going, it looks like the plan is to break it up into parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

The Brits were conned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

We definitely need to reform the way we hand oyr money and benefits to all and sundry, labour looking to reinstate the anchor baby law is also, IMHO another step we cannot afford. End of the day we're just the last little rock of the EU, we've huge debts and problems of our own to solve, adding more net beneficiaries to that bill is stupid. We need a more Ireland centric thinking in terms of the systems we have in place that are allowing usnto be fleeced, and we need some politicians with courage and conviction to really put the national interest first instead of their own. That can be achieved without being opposed to EU obligations, but where there's no will, there's no way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

London Rome Berlin

What difference does it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

screamer wrote:
    We definitely need to reform the way we hand oyr money and benefits to all and sundry, labour looking to reinstate the anchor baby law is also, IMHO another step we cannot afford. End of the day we're just the last little rock of the EU, we've huge debts and problems of our own to solve, adding more net beneficiaries to that bill is stupid. We need a more Ireland centric thinking in terms of the systems we have in place that are allowing usnto be fleeced, and we need some politicians with courage and conviction to really put the national interest first instead of their own. That can be achieved without being opposed to EU obligations, but where there's no will, there's no way

Public debt isn't much to worrying about , as always, private debt is the real killer, but serious reform of the Eu is urgently required, a large proportion of our public debt is odious, it has served no purpose, and ultimately should be cancelled. We haven't addressed critical issues within the union since 08, there's effectively no surplus recycling mechanism in place, this is causing significant divisions across the union

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think you'll find they were here long before they were "allowed in", either way we have plenty of our own do exactly the same thing, and I don't see why we should put up with them either. So their origin doesn't matter.
    It kinda does. As you note we already have a bumper homegrown crop of native chancers and scumbags, so we really shouldn't be importing more.
    This is not an eu problem, it's an Ireland problem.
    Pretty much, though the political will to address it as a problem is scant to non existent.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Irish pretty much invented economic migration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Andrew33 wrote: »
    The Brits were conned

So you keep saying

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Irish pretty much invented economic migration.
    This is all too regularly rolled out as a sop and/or explanation why Ireland should take in illegal economic migrants and it quite simply doesn't bear even the slightest scrutiny.

The Irish emigrants you speak of were in very different times and the majority went to ex colonies that were built on and relied upon immigration and when immigrants arrived they had no social welfare to speak of. You can't compare an Irish, German, or Jewish migrant docking in New York in the 1890's to non EU migrants arriving in Dublin today. Chalk and cheese.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

gooduse wrote: »
    Ireland stays in the EU forever

We will never make the UK mistake and go out!

I really like to stay in the EU

We may well stay in the EU forever but our relationship with the UK and Europe will forever be changed come the 1st of January next year.

Obviously we are really going to struggle trading with GB thanks to extra charges and delays, trading of fresh produce in particular will be seriously disrupted between ourselves and GB thanks to Brexit.

Therefore our relationship with the EU will also change as we will have to start opening new trading routes around and over GB, which is that whacking Great island between us & the EU.

Serious questions remain about using GB as a land bridge too, massive delays at ports, stacks of paperwork, declarations, red tape, what a load of hassle it will be to keep GB as a land bridge.

So Ireland (the island of) will indeed probably stay in the EU for as long as it lasts, but our trading relationship with our Big neighbour (GB) will be changed utterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ireland is a small economy, deeply reliant on open trade , the UK is a much larger economy with a large domestic market, it can manage outside the EU in a way we could not

We often mistakenly believe in Ireland that EU membership was identical for the UK as it has been for us

I'm happy for us to remain by the way but it's not that strange that the UK would choose to leave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Move this bolloxology over to that cesspit CA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I was talking to a member of the missus's family and he was voting for brexit, he's a really nice man but his point was simply "there's too many foreigners we need the money for ourselves they have to go". I asked him what about the ones who'd been there for decades, "doesn't matter they have to go back" what about their kids, their grandkids even "no matter they have to go too". I said you realise you are talking about your own wife and kids - "well not them obviously!" His missus also voted for it and she's fúcking Irish!

OK then, i can see you've thought this through!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement