Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property price register

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭listermint

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I know we are all nosey and like to have this info, myself included but
    personally i dont think private information, like how much a person bought or sold their house for should be public.
    Maybe an average price for an area or something like that, but the PPR is personally identifiable information. And of the most sensitive kind too.

Who cares ?

Without being funny you could get within 10 or 20k of the figure very easily.

So why be all weird about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I wondered about that and if it is still legal to post personal information like that on a public database. There was no GDPR legislation when the PPR was set up. Does the PPR not have to comply with the GDPR regulations?

You do realise that there are public policy exceptions to GDPR? Don’t you know that I can consult the public register to establish when and where you were born, married and/or died plus to whom your granny bequeathed her possessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Marcusm wrote: »
    You do realise that there are public policy exceptions to GDPR? Don’t you know that I can consult the public register to establish when and where you were born, married and/or died plus to whom your granny bequeathed her possessions?

Yes but that information is not available online at the click of a mouse - afaik you would have to go to a bit of effort to get that information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why was the property price register set up. Is it clearly defined somewhere? What's is ultimate purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

listermint wrote: »
    Who cares ?

Without being funny you could get within 10 or 20k of the figure very easily.

So why be all weird about it.

IMO the only people who don't want PPR figures available at the click of a button are those who never intend to move again or maybe theres an air of grandeur about it. There may be many more interested parties but they don't interest me.

In the last 5 years I've sold 2 properties, bought 1 investment & am in the market for our final home. I don't care who knows how much my properties went for, what matters to me is how much properties in the areas we're interested in go for. The last bust was a complete sh1t show & I think we're entitled to whatever clarity we can get in the property market as its infinitely ambiguous.

The PPR is far from perfect. I think the Eircode on any property should be mandatory but hopefully that will evolve yet. Too easy to fiddle the entries & it can be very difficult to monitor properties. Thats just me..sometimes there have to be exceptions & the biggest investment of your life deserves clarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

And why do EA's purposely post addresses so you cannot find what the house sold for,

Look at this entry by an EA..................

91 CIRCULAR RD SOUTH, APT 1, PORTOBELLO, Dublin 8

Eircodes should be mandatory,,

I can't see anything wrong with that.

A quick guess is that this was originally a house at 91 Circular Road South (commonly known as SCR) and converted / redeveloped into apartments and #1 has been sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I wondered about that and if it is still legal to post personal information like that on a public database. There was no GDPR legislation when the PPR was set up. Does the PPR not have to comply with the GDPR regulations?

I think its legal or they wouldnt be doing it.
    There is an exception to GDPR for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Darc19 wrote: »

A quick guess is that this was originally a house at 91 Circular Road South (commonly known as SCR) and converted / redeveloped into apartments and #1 has been sold.

That is what is on the LPT register. Nothing to do with the EA. It was probably compiled by software used by the Revenue when LPT was set up. They now insist the LPT address is the one used when stamping the deeds. Nothing to do with the solicitors.
    The reason the eircode was brought in was nothing to do with post but so computer systems would eventually start recording eircodes and addresses would become matchable across different platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

More BS

Quote from ppr
    "The Register is compiled from data which is filed, for stamp duty purposes, with the Revenue Commissioners."

It's not inputted by estate agents or buyers. It's the official stamp duty records which are highly unlikely to be wrong.

This is correct. And when your solicitor files a stamp duty return and it’s a second hand house, the address is actually determined by the LPT property number which is required to be put in, not the eircode so no body has the choice to “change” the address. New builds won’t have an LPT number so would be the address as per the deed.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sanfranbest

The address is 91 South Circular road,
    The whole property was sold,, 8 apartments,,,, not just apartment #1,,

Everything is wrong with the details entered,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

The address is 91 South Circular road,
    The whole property was sold,, 8 apartments,,,, not just apartment #1,,

Everything is wrong with the details entered,,,

I’ve filed plenty of stamp duty returns in my time.
    If the whole block of apartments was sold in one transaction for one price - on the stamp duty return you are limited to putting in only one lpt property ID number. Usually you just put in the first one to hand. This is what revenue work from and shows up on PPR. However in the stamp duty return you have to outline there are a number of properties sold in this price and provide revenue separately the rest of the lpt ID numbers so revenue know who to contact for lpt.

Advertisement