Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's rooting and then theres dangerous
    I simply do not understand d messing with grinder disks.
    A used 9" disk is not for use on a 4: grinder .
    If you see the damage they can do its not worth d few pennies one can save.
    Saw a fella with a gapped ( new) 9" disk, trying to recover it.( gently cutting a pipe trying to re_ round d disk) I walked over and broke d slicer disk off d grinder.
    Edit, stupid typos

Very good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Saw a fella with a gapped ( new) 9" disk, trying to recover it.( gently cutting a pipe trying to re_ round d disk) I walked over and broke d slicer disk off d grinder.
    Edit, stupid typos

an exploding disk is a frightening thing. it stays with you.
    it happened to me on a brand new disk . bits hit the floor, ceiling and one bit was stook in the side sheeting of the shed. luckely nothing went my direction but it could have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Ah jaysus. Are ya from Cavan?

No clearly not, do you think a Cavan man would waste a washer tightening up the toilet handle for aesthetic purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Worn out as in down to the metal washer, useless.

I was stuck one day out fixing a water trough.
    I used a worn out disk as a washer for a ball cock.

You heard it here first. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭White Clover

Sacrolyte wrote: »

From Cavan??:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ya rooter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ya rooter

I bet there's loads on here that watched McGyver as a child like myself and went out and tried to do McGyver stuff afterwards. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

That’s guntering?
    A rooter never fixes a water trough. He kinks the pipe and fills daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

NcdJd wrote: »
    I bet there's loads on here that watched McGyver as a child like myself and went out and tried to do McGyver stuff afterwards. :D

Talk about false advertising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Reggie. wrote: »
    Talk about false advertising

If someone was handy with video, all the ideas in here demonstrated against the McGyver theme tune would be gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Suckler

Any lad fitting that description around us always has a year round (barring a drought) water filled hollow or soft spot at nearly every gate that they refuse to fill or address in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

whelan2 wrote: »
    Vice grips will still be in place from last time

I know a lad who is ROUGH AS FCUK and calls the vice grips the "universal socket set". Is it just me or are more younger lads rougher than before?. Would hear the cousin constantly saying "ah itll be grand" when something is half arsed done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Jjameson wrote: »
    That’s guntering?
    A rooter never fixes a water trough. He kinks the pipe and fills daily.

That made me laugh. It so true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭minerleague

Edit, stupid typos

Uncle of mine knew someone in CIE of old and got bags of cutting discs, there would be 8-9 inches left, only problem the hole in middle is bigger than standard disc, still using them here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Uncle of mine knew someone in CIE of old and got bags of cutting discs, there would be 8-9 inches left, only problem the hole in middle is bigger than standard disc, still using them here

We got a heap of con saw blades like that before when i was in england. Had a bigger centrepiece on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

mentioned a bachelor uncle of mine earlier who is forever fixing an old tractor

his health and safety standards left a lot to be desired , i remember he used to have to lift the slats in the shed to mix the slurry and a big gaping hole would be there for anyone to fall in and drowned , he told me one of those structures with the manhole lid " costs a fortune " and that " it was no bother lifting the slats out and putting them back ?

god knows how many bad backs there are out there because of Uncle Pat from lifting the single slats with ropes but the same fella was never shy about asking neighbours to help out lugging them

anytime i was over i always told him i had football training later in the day and needed my strength

he also saw a fertilizer bag packed with straw as a luxury seat for the tractor

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    mentioned a bachelor uncle of mine earlier who is forever fixing an old tractor

his health and safety standards left a lot to be desired , i remember he used to have to lift the slats in the shed to mix the slurry and a big gaping hole would be there for anyone to fall in and drowned , he told me one of those structures with the manhole lid " costs a fortune " and that " it was no bother lifting the slats out and putting them back ?

god knows how many bad backs there are out there because of Uncle Pat from lifting the single slats with ropes but the same fella was never shy about asking neighbours to help out lugging them

anytime i was over i always told him i had football training later in the day and needed my strength

he also saw a fertilizer bag packed with straw as a luxury seat for the tractor

We’re lifting half gang slats here to agitate, was singled before that. Horrible horrible thing but the design of the shed negates anything else. Had the guy out from the precast company when we were changing the slats to make sure I wasn’t missing anything and he said there was no option due to the shed design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

There was auld lad beside us had an MF 168 and the seat in was a 6 inch concrete block. Worst part was his son sold tractor parts, but the auld lad wouldn't let him put a new one in the 168.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

_Brian wrote: »
    We’re lifting half gang slats here to agitate, was singled before that. Horrible horrible thing but the design of the shed negates anything else. Had the guy out from the precast company when we were changing the slats to make sure I wasn’t missing anything and he said there was no option due to the shed design.

build a new shed

build a new shed

That would be a solution but it’s not a real option.

When we put in the gangs we added an overhead gantry, dolly and pulley block so we can lift the half gang and roll it back without bursting one’s self. It’s not ideal but it is what it is. The shed is a little over 40years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Thought I was the only one, neighbour spotted it about 12 months later he said to me that idea with the discs is great, I've 2 that were thrown in a corner fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Would a rooter be in possession of a few whitworth wrenches.

The Rabbi wrote: »

not sure but they would definetly have that old ball cock incase they needed a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

not sure but they would definetly have that old ball cock incase they needed a part.

And the grinder disk as a washer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The Rabbi wrote: »

It was a brave man posted that pic in here!

GSOH required

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I see a vise grips with no spring. Yeah that's a rooter's tool right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

There’s more life in that rusty hose clip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭20silkcut

an exploding disk is a frightening thing. it stays with you.
    it happened to me on a brand new disk . bits hit the floor, ceiling and one bit was stook in the side sheeting of the shed. luckely nothing went my direction but it could have

Always wear the full hands free welding mask when cutting with a slim Jim disk on a mini Grinder. They make a lovely almost surgical cut and are easy on the grinder but deadly when they shatter.

20silkcut wrote: »
    Always wear the full welding mask when cutting with a slim Jim disk on a mini Grinder. They make a lovely almost surgical cut and are easy on the grinder but deadly when they shatter.

im not great on that front. safety glasses yes but i dont wear the viser enough

some serious pics of accidents on facebook from exploding mini disks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭20silkcut

im not great on that front. safety glasses yes but i dont wear the viser enough

some serious pics of accidents on facebook from exploding mini disks

One thing I have vowed to myself is never look up grinder or welder accidents etc on the internet.

Advertisement