Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Aravo

Love that, take the calf , heat lamp and trailer to work, giving me ideas.

And the person where he was working was paying for ESB. Rooters are never to be under estimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Bullocks wrote: »
    A chippie that used work with us years ago used buy over a 100 calves every spring. If he had a sick lad he would bring him to work and leave him in the trailer going out every now and then to give him a drink or whatever he needed, would run out a lead for a heat lamp and all.
    We went down to see his setup one Saturday morning for the craic. He had an 18' plank on top of a few blocks with a garden hose one end and a rake of extension leads hanging over it with a blast of old kettles on the boil for making the milk replacer. No shortage of money but he wouldn't pay for a water heater!

we have a sink and electric kettle in the garage, the brother has talked me into putting up a new kitchen and toilet in a nice corner of yard with two existing walls already there, getting water heater etc in, central location in yard. makes perfect sense i must boil the kettle20 times a day the last 3 weeks.

More anti rooting from me tonight , i bought an automatic lamb feeder, have 9 pets now so cant be messing with milk all day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Dickie10 wrote: »
    we have a sink and electric kettle in the garage, the brother has talked me into putting up a new kitchen and toilet in a nice corner of yard with two existing walls already there, getting water heater etc in, central location in yard. makes perfect sense i must boil the kettle20 times a day the last 3 weeks.

More anti rooting from me tonight , i bought an automatic lamb feeder, have 9 pets now so cant be messing with milk all day and night.

Theyre making €30 on donedeal. I'll be selling any pets straight away this year.

I’ll probably just rear them from now on on this. It’s probably more profitable than rearing suck calves per kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭older by the day

Figerty wrote: »
    Mini digger a great thing to have. Not great for feeding bales though.
    Neighbour feeds his cattle with an 8 ton. round Feeder is near the bales.

• Advertisement

Wheelbarrow and sprong......we fed out last 20 bales one year when the old engine blew its self up and hadnt time to go about a new tractor mid winter
    Thats back breaking work. The bales we have are hard enough to break up with a loader

I am thinking have the plastic stripped off a few extra bales near the sheds just in case so at least they are nearby

sureky could have even hired out a tractor with a loader til u got one.that was madness

Thats back breaking work. The bales we have are hard enough to break up with a loader

I am thinking have the plastic stripped off a few extra bales near the sheds just in case so at least they are nearby

I was young then,used do it after school!

Made even more difficult by fact,bales were stored in a field......though youd be suprised,how quick yous would get through it....

Good bit of hardship as lying down,is alot harder to pike than standing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Great tread lads and brings me back to when I was a young buck at home on the the small family farm in south kerry in the early 80s. Milking 30 cows in stalls with a 4 unit bucket plant no need for the gym or sleeping tablets back than. I remember going off with ould lad looking at the first round bales being made and the ould lad saying that those lucky bags will never take off just another fad he said. They weren't enough hardship in them for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Figerty

Neighbour feeds his cattle with an 8 ton. round Feeder is near the bales.

I've done it with a 3 ton...not a great idea,, but in a pinch it's plan C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dickie10 wrote: »
    sureky could have even hired out a tractor with a loader til u got one.that was madness

He wouldn't be a rooter then

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Rooting and tearing

Rooting and tearing
    I suppose everybody has to do a bit of rooting.

If all you do is rooting then you are a rooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

I was doing a job for my neighbour on Sunday morning in his yard and noticed he's got 20 gallon drums, buckets and old milk churns strategically placed capturing water coming from various run off / drip points around the sheds... they're everywhere and not a drop of water seems to go to waste even through he has a well pump and a backup petrol pump which I somehow have stored in one of my sheds, its a bit like offsite backup recovery rooter style.. the disaster recovery lads in the data centres would be impressed by this man.

We were at our outfarm today. There's a fair hill in the yard. I parked my dads jeep on the hill as normal. He was driving the digger with a bale of silage on the front of it. I went on to open a gate, next thing I see the jeep coming down the hill. He drove into the back of it with the bale, he was looking at something else. No damage, old landcruiser, newer yolk would have been damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

whelan2 wrote: »
    We were at our outfarm today. There's a fair hill in the yard. I parked my dads jeep on the hill as normal. He was driving the digger with a bale of silage on the front of it. I went on to open a gate, next thing I see the jeep coming down the hill. He drove into the back of it with the bale, he was looking at something else. No damage, old landcruiser, newer yolk would have been damaged.

Jesus - was it near hitting you?

Jesus - was it near hitting you?

No but it's how easy accidents happen

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Sooo is it yourself or the ole lad that’s the rooter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Mini digger a great thing to have. Not great for feeding bales though.

my 2.8t will handle a bale no problem , and split it up with a 2ft digging bucket and push it along a few pens. not used a fork/graipe here in 3 years when feeding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Figerty

my 2.8t will handle a bale no problem , and split it up with a 2ft digging bucket and push it along a few pens. not used a fork/graipe here in 3 years when feeding

Not good for the final drives to have the weight of a bale down on the bearings.
    I have used but only in a pinch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Not good for the final drives to have the weight of a bale down on the bearings.
    I have used but only in a pinch.

Normally bring the bales in with loader

remove the wrap and put the bales into the shed with loader and only push them out with the digger after 12hours of feeding,

But I have moved fulls bales if tractor was busy or away . Definitely considering a skidsteer or telehander here

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

NcdJd wrote: »
    I was doing a job for my neighbour on Sunday morning in his yard and noticed he's got 20 gallon drums, buckets and old milk churns strategically placed capturing water coming from various run off / drip points around the sheds... they're everywhere and not a drop of water seems to go to waste even through he has a well pump and a backup petrol pump which I somehow have stored in one of my sheds, its a bit like offsite backup recovery rooter style.. the disaster recovery lads in the data centres would be impressed by this man.

Thats surely a good thing to be doing. Though it sounds on the extreme end in this case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You know you're dealing with a rooter when........

552193.jpg

the slats are getting stuck in the agitator.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

When their idea of buffer feeding is a single ring feeder in the collecting yard to serve 50+ cows. Then they ring you at 7.45 in the morning asking for a hand to free 2 cows stuck in the same headspace. I'm nursing a sore elbow after such an experience this morning. Of course one cow had a fine set of horns just to complicate matters 😒. Anyway managed to free one after a bit but the one with the horns was still collared and she lost the plot trying to free herself. A ring feeder tied to an excited animal is a dangerous weapon. She was like a bulldozer going around the yard and 2 lads trying to hold the feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Good loser

I open 9 or 10 bales for my stock once a week - and push closer to barrier as required. No rooting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Good one today.

My father and uncle both have caravans. Uncle was over this evening and i presumed it was just a visit. I got home from training at 8.30 and they were still inside drinking tea. At 9.30 when it got dark they made a great burst to fix an issue with the uncles caravan. The great burst meant them holding a torch as i rewired stuff in the dark.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That reminds me of another sign. Caravan next to the dwelling house with the roof caving in on it.

Can afford new caravan yet somehow not house repairs.

See a lad with round bales of straw stacked in the corner of a field. Over the weekend he put a bull and calves in the same field. Straw everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

• Advertisement

It's expensive enough without that carry on

Advertisement