Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Often think lads with an interest outside of the gate, be it another job, a hobby/sport etc often have a good way of doing things as they value their own time. When youve all day to do something you fill your day. See it with myself here in work. at stages of the month where im flat out id never even dream of looking on here etc but on days im not flat out id easily fill the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law#:~:text=Parkinson's%20law%20is%20the%20adage,of%20bureaucracy%20in%20an%20organization.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod:

Some of youse lads were rooting in the Rooters thread, so I gave you a place of yere own, here. Let fly!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 15,894 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It doesn't help things like help to buy incintivise new builds as opposed to retrofitd

Help to buy is one of the many well-meaning but ultimately useless schemes thought up by government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Sheep scanner came here years ago and while my setting up my Father noted blood splatters on ramp and on the back of his little trailer. “The man before ya got into an argument with a ewe” Transpired the nutter lost the plot with stubborn ewes and bludgeoned one to death on the ramp with a piece of a wooden stake..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Jjameson wrote: »
    Sheep scanner came here years ago and while my setting up my Father noted blood splatters on ramp and on the back of his little trailer. “The man before ya got into an argument with a ewe” Transpired the nutter lost the plot with stubborn ewes and bludgeoned one to death on the ramp with a piece of a wooden stake..

No need for that carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

people like that shouldnt be farmers. i seen it before they get overly excited or maybe see failure to move an animal as failure on themselves. times like that you need to take a few breaths and actually look at what u look like to an outsider. few deep breaths and smile!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Dickie10 wrote: »
    people like that shouldnt be farmers. i seen it before they get overly excited or maybe see failure to move an animal as failure on themselves. times like that you need to take a few breaths and actually look at what u look like to an outsider. few deep breaths and smile!

Valid point about seeing yourself from someone else's shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Thats not rooting that's being a scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

Thats not rooting that's being a scumbag

Agree on that. Such beautiful animals.
    When people say to me that sheep are stupid. I reply by saying it's not the sheep that's stupid if they can outwit a human!

Agree on that. Such beautiful animals.
    When people say to me that sheep are stupid. I reply by saying it's not the sheep that's stupid if they can outwit a human!

If that man did that in front of someone imagine what they suffered behind closed doors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think i would clip him on butt of the jaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I would report the c*nt....no business caring for animals

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

If that man did that in front of someone imagine what they suffered behind closed doors

Also the fact he also told someone what he did

whelan2 wrote: »

Wasnt the scanner who did it as far as i read. He witnessed it

It was the previous farmer. I was left to guess his identity but it wasn’t hard. A local sociopath, a complete rooter if there was ever one.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i think i would clip him on butt of the jaw

You’d want to be a hardy buck to do so in fairness. But karma will sort it. He’s set to wind up fairly lonely..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

Heard this story second hand - guy goes into knackers yard and there's yer man sitting on a dead cow drinking tea and eating a sandwich. He stands up and leaves his half eaten sandwich on the cows belly.

Heard the same story first hand - in Cahir.

Farmer down the road, he made silage bales in a field. Dropped the Baler where the last bale came out. The next summer he hitched up to the Baler and a lad went round the field before him mowing. I'd say he was mowing in low first. Ground hadnt been cut or grazed since bales made on it the year before. I was bringing my cows in and watched them for a while. Baler unhitched when last bale out again . Baler still sitting there. He had bales in that field the year of the bad spring when everyone was looking for feed. He wouldn't sell them, they remained by the ditch all that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Farmer down the road, he made silage bales in a field. Dropped the Baler where the last bale came out. The next summer he hitched up to the Baler and a lad went round the field before him mowing. I'd say he was mowing in low first. Ground hadnt been cut or grazed since bales made on it the year before. I was bringing my cows in and watched them for a while. Baler unhitched when last bale out again . Baler still sitting there. He had bales in that field the year of the bad spring when everyone was looking for feed. He wouldn't sell them, they remained by the ditch all that year.

And if If a fella had that baler and looked after it then it probably give a world of bother

The gas pipeline went through the same field. Bord gais hung a good 16 foot gate at the entrance to the field for him. Posts down in concrete etc. Looked the job. A month later he took the gate off the post and put it in his yard. No gate on the field since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That's physcopathic.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

That's physcopathic.

I think so, I can’t further much more on this character for fear of recognition here but he has no empathy in him for woman child or animal so yes I think he could well be a physcho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think so, I can’t further much more on this character for fear of recognition here but he has no empathy in him for woman child or animal so yes I think he could well be a physcho.

Years ago I remember a local guy pinning another guy to the ground and beating him with his fists. Now we all fought as kids, buy this was senseless and it wasn't out of temper either. It really unnerved me at the time.
    Years later same guy coming from the pub, knocked down a man on the road and left him for dead.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

There's a fella from up the road from me like that too. Even when he was young he'd take great pleasure in torturing animals, picking fights with people he knew were weak and not able for him...

Later in life then when it came to business he was dangerous, horrible f**ker full of drink, seemed to take great pleasure in "doing lads for money and unpaid bills", knocking the wife around the place, But just one look in his eyes would tell you all you needed to know about him if you could pick up on that sort of thing....

This fella also knocked down a guy coming home from the pub, killed him. Locked up now for a few years.....

A friend told me recently he got a phone call one day asking would he accept a call from him... His words about him were "Not much has changed there, probably the best place from him... He can't do much damage to anybody from in there".

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I was rushing out this morning and the button broke on my trousers. Couldn’t find belt.
    My next thought was if I use baler twine I’d probably be considered a rooter.
    I was walking to the shed and I spotted a pack of small cable ties. Perfect fit.
    Rooter or gunterer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    I was rushing out this morning and the button broke on my trousers. Couldn’t find belt.
    My next thought was if I use baler twine I’d probably be considered a rooter.
    I was walking to the shed and I spotted a pack of small cable ties. Perfect fit.
    Rooter or gunterer?

Leprechaun..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

another recollection of my Uncle Pat from back in the day

any tractor he ever owned had no chains on the Arms on the back of the tractor ( probably lost them after a while ) , he used to tie the arms with a rope ( sometimes fencing wire ) to stop them hitting off the back wheels but much of the time he,d be driving down the road and the arms would be whacking off the wheels to beat the band as the rope or bailing twine had inevitably snapped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I knew an old boy and his sister , there was a crack in the gable end of the house ..subsidence? you could talk to him thru the crack 2-4 inches. no heating.
    He'd bring 5 year old bullocks back home from the mart and due to poor prices and then leave them starve to death the following winter.
    I walked into his yard one day and a rotten carcuss moved.... there was two dogs tied to its ribcage .. it t'was like a dog house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I knew an old boy and his sister , there was a crack in the gable end of the house ..subsidence? you could talk to him thru the crack 2-4 inches. no heating.
    He'd bring 5 year old bullocks back home from the mart and due to poor prices and then leave them starve to death the following winter.
    I walked into his yard one day and a rotten carcuss moved.... there was two dogs tied to its ribcage .. it t'was like a dog house.

thats "Deliverance " stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Jesus, this post brings back memories. Alot of the rooting described here we would have got up to at home back in the day.
    The father had an off farm job in a factory and married into the farm. It wasn't that he didn't have interest but I'd say just the time or energy for it. He worked shift,changing every week and I'd say he was wrecked from it. Twas up to my self and brother and mother to do alot the farming. I remember coming home from national school in winter and starting the tractor down the hill to bring silage into cows and scrape out cubicle house etc.
    Looking back on it the mother was some woman, rearing 6 kids and milking cows, and we wouldnt have the best of setups.

Brother has the place now, a few sucklers. still plenty of rooting going on!!

Spent a few summers working with an absolute rooter of a silage contractor. Ah sweet jesus when I think back on it, yolkes with no brakes, lights, glass, not starting, bald tyres.Silage trailers falling apart. Messing with 5 gallon drums of diesel. A vice grip for a gear stick on an 8011!! If you were pulled driving one of them nowadays you would be put off the road. We would break down nearly everywhere we went. His customers were all locals and sure they had great patience with us. We often spent a wet day in the in pub too. He is still at it, only slurry now. A bit better set up, but not much.

Advertisement