Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build house: not wired for fibre to the home

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

Generally the new fibre network has taken the same route as the traditional copper network so the installer would pull a cable from an underground chamber or pole through pre-installed duct (developer installed) to the box (ETU) on your home.

This would be standard practice. The fact that they did not attempt this would lead me to believe that the fibre network may have taken a different route. Seeing as your development has never had a copper network may have made the ETU and associated ducting redudant.

Nobody here can tell you for certain what way the network is built in your development. If the ducting cannot be used you are not going to force them to use it.

Have you opened the ETU? They may have had to drill through the back of it anyway to gain access to your premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

The etu generally was wired for cat5 for a copper dropwire to be brought to that point then they just connected external copper line to internal copper line and put a phone socket on and the job was done no mess. Builders are still leaving cat5 there even though this method of connection no longer works for a optical cable.
    Some housing estates are running a fibre connection from inside the house to the etu but I've only managed to get a passable result once out of 6 times. The fibre was only terminated on one end by the builder. You can't verify a splice is good until you have both ends made off and a light shone through it so it's there but cannot be certified to be done correctly.
    If houses were ducted internally we would be flying.
    Not all are are dilligent at checking but I always check if there's a exposed duct going into the house.
    If all I can see is a metal knockout box on a wall with no duct that isn't on within 3 meters of the etu. it's not gonna work. I'll be happy to humour ya for three or five minutes using less than a pound and a half of force I'll even encourage you have a go that way you'll save yourself the coulda woulda shoulda stress of thinking about it after the install.
    I have no problem with people wanting to discuss how they want it brought in it is their home after all I'm only there for 1-3 hours depending on the job the homeowner has to live with it after install so their input is taken on. But we also have to operate to the realities of the way the majority of houses were built in this country.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    The etu generally was wired for cat5 for a copper dropwire to be brought to that point then they just connected external copper line to internal copper line and put a phone socket on and the job was done no mess. Builders are still leaving cat5 there even though this method of connection no longer works for a optical cable.
    Some housing estates are running a fibre connection from inside the house to the etu but I've only managed to get a passable result once out of 6 times. The fibre was only terminated on one end by the builder. You can't verify a splice is good until you have both ends made off and a light shone through it so it's there but cannot be certified to be done correctly.
    If houses were ducted internally we would be flying.
    Not all are are dilligent at checking but I always check if there's a exposed duct going into the house.
    If all I can see is a metal knockout box on a wall with no duct that isn't on within 3 meters of the etu. it's not gonna work. I'll be happy to humour ya for three or five minutes using less than a pound and a half of force I'll even encourage you have a go that way you'll save yourself the coulda woulda shoulda stress of thinking about it after the install.
    I have no problem with people wanting to discuss how they want it brought in it is their home after all I'm only there for 1-3 hours depending on the job the homeowner has to live with it after install so their input is taken on. But we also have to operate to the realities of the way the majority of houses were built in this country.

I think the issue here, if I am reading it correctly, is that the installer would not even use the ETU and associated duct. The OP has stated that the ETU has a pull rope installed so I'm not sure what is going on. This is what lead me to believe that he could not use it rather than refused. I don't think we are getting the full picture.

Cyrus wrote: »
    where does the virgin line come into, and do you have any comms cabinet or a duct coming in under units in your utility or kitchen or under the stairs or something?

presume virgin didnt drill anywhere?

The Virgin line is not fibre much like open eir's fibre to the exchange or fibre to the cabinet isn't full fibre it's only part thereof to a point. Virgins cable is a coax cable that's made off on an oscillator in the jb4 outside in the road then it's simply coupled to the internal coax cable in the etu. Much like open eir's old copper network was crimped to the internal cat5 to connect to internal wiring.
    Ftth is glass inside the cable is actually glass.
    The issue is providers have been selling everything as fibre because somewhere way back on the network nowhere near the house fibre had a hand in transporting the traffic. This marketing has now gotten many confused who believe they have fibre when they point to their eircom phone socket or virgin media connection point.
    Openeir Siro and magnet are the only networks that have a fibre connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

NBAiii wrote: »
    I think the issue here, if I am reading it correctly, is that the installer would not even use the ETU and associated duct. The OP has stated that the ETU has a pull rope installed so I'm not sure what is going on. This is what lead me to believe that he could not use it rather than refused. I don't think we are getting the full picture.

They didn't even check could it worked, just looked at the box and went "won't work".

They should at least test it to see rather than, drill first, ask questions later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

The Virgin line is not fibre much like open eir's fibre to the exchange or fibre to the cabinet isn't full fibre it's only part thereof to a point. Virgins cable is a coax cable that's made off on an oscillator in the jb4 outside in the road then it's simply coupled to the internal coax cable in the etu. Much like open eir's old copper network was crimped to the internal cat5 to connect to internal wiring.
    The issue is providers have been selling everything as fibre because somewhere way back on the network nowhere near the house fibre had a hand in transporting the traffic. This marketing has now gotten many confused who believe they have fibre when they point to their eircom phone socket or virgin media connection point.

So you're saying that the speeds via Vodafone, Eir and Sky up to 1GB/s aren't from FTTH but rather FTTC?

This is not true. Virgin's new builds are using fibre to the premises (RFoG).

fungie wrote: »
    They didn't even check could it worked, just looked at the box and went "won't work".

They should at least test it to see rather than, drill first, ask questions later.

The fibre cable must be brought from a distribution point, which is a black plastic box, to your premises. If your ETU and its duct is not connected to the distribution point location (an underground chamber or a pole) there is not a lot the installer can do to rectify this.

As I said earlier without knowing the specific layout of your development people are left speculating. If the installer, who knows where the cable is coming from, said it is not possible then it may just not be possible.

NBAiii wrote: »
    This is not true. Virgin's new builds are using fibre to the premises (RFoG).

This I did not know and I thank you for it.
    I've seen these things in apartment block risers have not seen them in an etu at side of a house and Id highly doubt I ever will etu are just plastic boxes with a duct from the street distribution point to the side of the house where the builders run some cables to meet whatever comes from the network. As such they get alot of moisture and spiders I'd be highly surprised if I saw a 220v mains plug in one powering an ont but if that was the case then the cat5 could be plugged into it and modem left on other end inside the house.
    The sensible option is if there's a power socket on the other side of the wall of the etu or a duct to other side cable can be put through and installed with ont on wall then put cat5 cable through and put an rj45 on plug into ont to bring connection back to Comms room via the existing cat5. Your modem will be central where you want it but the fibre connection will likely be in the hall.
    Failing all of that you could always ask the installer for a length of it and get an electrician to fish it inside your wall cavities and leave the rest of it looped up until the install comes back out.

fungie wrote: »
    So you're saying that the speeds via Vodafone, Eir and Sky up to 1GB/s aren't from FTTH but rather FTTC?

No I'm saying the opposite. Not sure where you got that from what I stated. Fttc is simple and mostly already in place and always accommodated.
    Whereas ftth is a pain it's one continuous cable the whole way up cannot be joined to another ftth cable best we can do is put a coupler in between them which causes losses and hope the other end was made off well which it usually isn't and we're not about to go chopping builders electrical crews' bespoke connector off in place of our own because if it doesn't work out we've just tampered with it.
    If the building regulations change where they build a fixed connection point inside the etu we'd only be all too delighted to just plug into them and finish the job there.
    (Which is really the way it should be)

• Advertisement
Advertisement