Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was it a man or a woman that murdered Raonaid Murray?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭richiestokes_79_79

Shielded by an alibi …

it’s a very private area today, more or less the same in 1999 I presume (nobody walked up that laneway after the murder but her sister in that timeframe)but you’re correct, you’d expect more people to have been around, but there was a few, they gave statements on what they saw in the time after the murder. One reliable witness saw a young woman, shoulder length dark hair, dark clothing, aged 16 to 23. And you’re also correct with behaviour of attacker - irrational, judgement clouded by drug use, and there’s a suspicion of a history of psychological care. A taxi driver also saw a male acting suspiciously and guards on record as saying “other people in area who didn’t come forward”

*Psychiatric care

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MOD NOTE: @richiestokes_79_79 please stop spamming this thread with multiple posts.

Spamming? It’s valid information, you clown.

It won’t be solved here so get off your high horse ….boards.ie is not crucial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I only recently heard the theory of a female attacker, after watching the Rainy documentary. I'm glad I watched it.

I grew up close by, and about the same age, and I've followed the case over the years, but admittedly not as much not in recent years, until I watched the docu. The theory really does make sense. It would also make sense as to why the Garda didn't catch the killer, as I'd say they focused on it being a male for quite a long time and by the time this theory came to the top, there was lack of evidence, alibi's in place, suspects moved abroad, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

are girl suspect and taxi suspect still together?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Interesting..

I hope someone sits down with all the evidence and can hopefully get the old DNA samples retested.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Should be enough to kill off the thread, like what was done to the forum.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It wasn't a thread, it was a one-man stream of consciousness blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s really not going to be solved is it… no new evidence to account for, no new witnesses, no changing stories.

better technology for sure in terms of examining DNA then there was then but…. You’d need to link DNA to a suspect and prove they were responsible though… say a hair or blood sample belonging to someone on Raonaid’s shirt can’t really be considered enough…

so unless a person or people who have info, get a conscience and get talking…. This will remain an unsolved crime.

even so ‘info’ at this stage may never be enough….it’s unlikely to get solved…

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

I'd imagine from what's described in the thread and documentary, a lot of alibis are intertwined, so if one caves, everyone's story falls apart.

Here's hoping someone grows a backbone one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I think about this case sometimes. It’s just so eerie that she was still alive when the killer left and managed to crawl to her house. Really hope this case is solved one day and she gets justice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

No motive, no witnesses and not really DNA. Probably wont be solved.

Remember in the Annie Mccarrick case how a sighting at Johnny Fox's put the garda off. I wonder in this case was that alleged sighting of her arguing with a man on corrig/gleangeary rd really her? People might not remember but Dun Laoghaire on a weekend night in the 90's was buzzing and many younger people would be walking home from the pubs at this hour up the gleangeary rd.

Who ever stabbed her did not leave her for dead. She was still stumbling after the attack. Which would suggest it was a stranger rather than someone she knew. If you stabbed someone you knew and then ran away knowing you had not killed them you would know you will do time for it. Also a friend of hers told me that she walked with Raonoid a few weeks before she was killed to dun laoghaire and they walked the metals and not gleangeary rd. She believes this was her usual way of walking to and from DL. Also the fact that if she did walk the gleangeary rd she would have just turned on to silchester park and not go on to silchester rd and then through the cut on to silchester park as this would be longer and would also bring her up that dark lane. However if she walked the metals she would have had to gone up this lane.

The metals use to have kids hanging around it at night too back then and was known to be dangerous. Also back in the 90's alot of kids i remember carried knifes. Well in comparison to these days i believe. I wonder did she infact walk back through the metals and get followed by a stranger. They believe who ever stabbed her was not very strong. Her father was the principal of Pres glasstule near by. I wonder did a teenager who hung around the metals and know her from that do it. It does not appear the person struck again and had no or a weak motive to kill her in the first place which i think points to a teenager.

Interesting but Why would she walk The Metals route when Glenageary rd was quicker to DL centre? Also, it’s been said her favourite shortcut option for getting home was via Northumberland avenue onto Corrig rd and then onto glenageary rd. Buzzing in the 90s was it? You were there? Was it flatland around there - specifically Croswaithe Park? Or private ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 OnTheCorner

I wonder how Richies non-existent documentary is getting on?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

In fairness, he'd a lot of info.

Advertisement