Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MG Cars

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

When I think of MG I think of small sporty cars not generic SUV's. :(

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed. The only MG I ever had was a British small sporty convertible car. Great wee car it was too.

But I guess that is how things are going. MG is Chinese, and so is Rover, Saab and even Volvo. Jaguar and Land Rover are Indian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've owned at least 3 MGs and 1 rover original models.

This is not MG/Rover, this is a cheap chinese knockoff. The petrol ZS only got 3 stars in the NCAP, where 5 stars is pretty mandatory these days.

ELM327 wrote: »

This is not MG/Rover, this is a cheap chinese knockoff. The petrol ZS only got 3 stars in the NCAP, where 5 stars is pretty mandatory these days.

The EV ZS got 5 stars

unkel wrote: »
    The EV ZS got 5 stars

Yes I know, which is why I said

It certainly does nothing to assuage those of the "cheap chinese tat" mentality about the safety of these cars.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I presume we'll be calling the Europe bound Chinese built Tesla's cheap expensive Chinese tat next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

liamog wrote: »
    I presume we'll be calling the Europe bound Chinese built Tesla's cheap expensive Chinese tat next

Pretty sure a few folks here have already been calling it that

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Everything is made in China. Some of the most expensive phones around that are seen by some as the summum of quality. Yes I mean the ones "designed in California" :D

I'd rather a Tesla assembled in China than one assembled in the USA myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

People will buy any old toss once it’s an EV though.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Assembled in China or the US, re-assembled in Sandyford. Again and again. Again and again.

FYP :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Lads watch American factory on Netflix, its unbelievable. Chinese sent over to us for months to get old plant bought by Chinese investor profitable work ethic etc incomparable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Lads watch American factory on Netflix, its unbelievable. Chinese sent over to us for months to get old plant bought by Chinese investor profitable work ethic etc incomparable...

That's a great yet depressing watch

liamog wrote: »

I wouldnt want one anyway.

Everything is made in China. Some of the most expensive phones around that are seen by some as the summum of quality. Yes I mean the ones "designed in California" :D

I'd rather a Tesla assembled in China than one assembled in the USA myself...

You don't drive a phone though. It doesnt matter if your phone in a slightly different version only gets 3* in Ncap.

"Made in China" is synonymous with two things. One of which is being cheap, the other is poorly made tat.

• Advertisement

"Made in China" is synonymous with two things. One of which is being cheap, the other is poorly made tat.

That might have been the case back 10-20 years ago. Things have moved on.

So you wouldn't buy a Polestar either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That's far from true,

yes you can get cheap tat, that poorly designed, wit little quality control. but you can also get well designed stuff (like Apple products) that are made with stringent quality control

Exactly. 2 of the 3 UK built cars I owned were renowned for their reliability.
    The other one was a Jaguar :)

Doesn’t matter where it’s made, it’s how it’s made that matters.

That might have been the case back 10-20 years ago. Things have moved on.

So you wouldn't buy a Polestar either?

No

ted1 wrote: »
    That's far from true,

yes you can get cheap tat, that poorly designed, wit little quality control. but you can also get well designed stuff (like Apple products) that are made with stringent quality control

Yes but you don't drive them.
    I have an iphone, ipad, work laptop, tvs etc that are all made in china. And thats fine. It's not an anti-china thing, it's an anti cheap tat thing.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Exactly. 2 of the 3 UK built cars I owned were renowned for their reliability.
    The other one was a Jaguar :)

Doesn’t matter where it’s made, it’s how it’s made that matters.

There was nothing wrong with that jag, it was perfectly fine in my hands :D

I have sat in a ZS and HS.

I won't name the garage but if they're representative of what the MG experience is then they're fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Any idea when the MG 5 EV will launch in Ireland? Nothing on the website yet. I've sent them a mail but nothing back yet.

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Any idea when the MG 5 EV will launch in Ireland? Nothing on the website yet. I've sent them a mail but nothing back yet.

Available to test drive in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Jaysus they are a depressing car.
    However the estate wins me purely due to usefulness of having an estate not a small SUV with a rubbish boot (for dog, buggy etc).

But you look at Dacia at how they have sold purely cause Irish love the new reg.
    However these might be at the wrong price point, they need to be cheaper.
    I see Phil in electric autos has a demo estate ready to go at 28000.

Buy one I dunno, as with the Chinese android phones.
    They work but you miss a feature here or there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

coolisin wrote: »
    Jaysus they are a depressing car.
    However the estate wins me purely due to usefulness of having an estate not a small SUV with a rubbish boot (for dog, buggy etc).

But you look at Dacia at how they have sold purely cause Irish love the new reg.
    However these might be at the wrong price point, they need to be cheaper.
    I see Phil in electric autos has a demo estate ready to go at 28000.

Buy one I dunno, as with the Chinese android phones.
    They work but you miss a feature here or there.

488 litres. Then with all the seats down 1,375 litres.

Why do think that is bad? What similar EV are you comparing it with. I've never compared them. Just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

ba_barabus wrote: »

Available to test drive in January

Ha, turns out there's one for sale now! Phil in Electric Autos will import one for 28k!!

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Ha, turns out there's one for sale now! Phil in Electric Autos will import one for 28k!!
    Is Phil an official main dealer? And is the car in Ireland or will he just import one if you want it.

With Brexit I wouldn't like to be paying all the duties due on it also.

Just checked Phil site and no mention there of the MG.

Update, I see it on Facebook. Random that a non franchised dealer has it before everyone else. I'd imagine it's an import for that reason, trying to remember if the estates could would be 6 months old by now for VRT purposes.

beauf wrote: »
    488 litres. Then with all the seats down 1,375 litres.

Why do think that is bad? What similar EV are you comparing it with. I've never compared them. Just asking.

No i think its great, its a useful space.

Its the only one that would fit what I want, low load area, big boot.

I've tried small SUV's and the boot might be tall but not useful. I find the estate especially with the dog and buggy a better fit.
    Kona and E-niro would just not work for me at all.
    The rest are all hatchbacks and a hatchback doesn't work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I have sat in a ZS and HS.

I won't name the garage but if they're representative of what the MG experience is then they're fcuked

What did the garage get wrong?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

coolisin wrote: »
    No i think its great, its a useful space.

Its the only one that would fit what I want, low load area, big boot.

I've tried small SUV's and the boot might be tall but not useful. I find the estate especially with the dog and buggy a better fit.
    Kona and E-niro would just not work for me at all.
    The rest are all hatchbacks and a hatchback doesn't work for me.

It interesting to compare.

KOna EV 334 litres seats down 1,116
    Zoe 338 litres 1,225 litres
    Leaf 435 litre
    Kia e-Niro 451 litres.

ZS EV boot 470 litres (seats down no idea)
    Petrol ZS 448 litres
    ZS EV estate 578 litres and 1,456 litres with the seats folded down.

Passat estate 650 litres, seats down 1,780 litres
    Skoda Superb Estate 660-litre 1,950-litre seats down

MPV Touran five upright seats 834 litres. Seats down 1,980 litres.
    (Much shorter car than a Passat or superb. Its based on the Golf, basically a Van)

Old diesel wrote: »

Maybe they tried putting diesel in the ZS EV :D

beauf wrote: »
    It interesting to compare.

KOna EV 334 litres seats down 1,116
    Zoe 338 litres 1,225 litres
    Leaf 435 litre
    Kia e-Niro 451 litres.

ZS EV boot 470 litres (seats down no idea)
    Petrol ZS 448 litres
    ZS EV estate 578 litres and 1,456 litres with the seats folded down.

Passat estate 650 litres, seats down 1,780 litres
    Skoda Superb Estate 660-litre 1,950-litre seats down

MPV Touran five upright seats 834 litres. Seats down 1,980 litres.
    (Much shorter car than a Passat or superb. Its based on the Golf, basically a Van)

SUV/MPV give great space due to the height of the roof.
    great if your stacking suitcases/boxes carrying something tall.

I've tried and looked at them they wont work :D

The depth rather then the height is more important to my uses.

In fairness to this MG 5 estate at 578 ltrs thats bigger then an Audi A4 avants with the seats up.
    In fairness the MG5 would work for me.

EDIT: Obviously not seeing any of the MGs except for pictures.

mg5 review recorded on a mobile phone. Not a bad review and not from a usual channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6MuJNWLMlY

Not a bad reviewer if you ignore the half golf-ball bump on his head.

mg5 review recorded on a mobile phone. Not a bad review and not from a usual channel.

Bear in mind he is the garage owners mate, it's all on the facebook groups for the car so take it all with a pinch of salt.

I have spoken to someone who is generally harsh with them and they've said it's the best car from them by a country mile, only issue is the styling is dated and the roof rack can't actually take anything on it. It's cosmetic only.

Less of an issue with physical appearance (not really relevant) and more with his bias

Old diesel wrote: »
    I was looking at a ZS outside when a couple came up and said they'd been waiting half an hour to talk to a salesman about them but nobody came near them other than to tell them someone would be with them "in a minute".

Anyway I walked in, had a look and poke about. Nobody came near me, they were all in an office having a laugh/chat.

I sat in all cars, poked about a bit etc etc.

This wasn't my local dealer as I was on the road yesterday butI do hope it's not an indication of what the overall experience will be.

UK clocks on all cars, no literature or info about. Only thing I saw was a price of the HS in the showroom which was a top spec at €39,500. It had a red leather* interior which reminded me of the set of my favourite online artistic* film from my teenage years. Seats, dash, door cards were all red leather*

Various specs of ZS were there, cloth seats looked very dated in base cars, overall nothing felt hugely poor quality but I've read too many worrying stories of dealers unable to fix cars.

For comparison, I also stopped into another main dealer for a different brand. Sales man left office when he saw me coming, went out, opened the door, gave hand santizer, welcomed me in, asked what I was interested in, what my needs were, what I was hoping for and what type of driving I do now and in a normal year. I was looking at a well known EV and they said given my mix of driving it's possibly still not the right time for me to move given my requirements but that if I could hold on there is an EV on the way that would suit my needs an awful lot better late in 2021.

That's given me enough food for thought that I'll be back to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Had a few Rovers in the family, they were big comfy cars. I wouldn't dismiss a new MG electric car. Styling is not bad.

• Advertisement

I can’t understand the sort of brand loyalty or goodwill if you would call it that to the marque, MG Rover was a basket case towards the end, but if Peter Steven’s account of events is true, they got royally shafted by SAIC in the investment negotiations.

Whatever about the negotiation abilities of the MGR board vs the Chinese team, that deal sealed the fate of longbridge, and even when the feeble attempt at adding some credibility to the MG name in China by doing some final assembly for the British market in Longbridge, the fan boys were still calling it a triumph.

I just don’t get it. If they were building electric Midgets or MGBs or whatever I could maybe understand it, but this is a bunch of mediocre cars with a half familiar badge. A badge that was abused enough since the 80s, being stuck on a variety of badge engineered models.

It does give some much needed competition in the sector, and there’s nothing wrong with that. With Volvo and Geely it’s proven that Chinese companies can build proper cars.

Had a few Rovers in the family, they were big comfy cars. I wouldn't dismiss a new MG electric car. Styling is not bad.

The rovers you refer to bear no relation to the current SAIC car.

I had a 75 back in the day, and a couple of MGs. Dad had an 827 and a 414, as well as a 620i company car when I was younger. Great cars. Nothing to do with the current chinese domestic market cars being exported under the MG "brand"

They are no more MG than Tesla are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Price announced for the MG 5 EV starting from €27,645 Probably around €2,500 extra for the more expensive model. Seems good value! Not any other EV's at those prices that suit families with 3 children from what I can see.

Similarly priced to the Ioniq28 when it was released. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

MG are doing great things. The new MG5 estate is great value as an electric family wagon and the ZS and HS both look great.
    I wish MG lots of success. Hopefully there is enough open minded people out there who do not want more boring sheepies cars and want something different with class and style.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    MG are doing great things. The new MG5 estate is great value as an electric family wagon and the ZS and HS both look great.
    I wish MG lots of success. Hopefully there is enough open minded people out there who do not want more boring sheepies cars and want something different with class and style.

Okay, I really like the MG 5, but I'm not sure class and style would be the first words that come to mind when I see one :)

More like spacious and practical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Okay, I really like the MG 5, but I'm not sure class and style would be the first words that come to mind when I see one :)

More like spacious and practical

Yes ok it's more spacious and practical but the other two cars in the range the ZS and the HS are very classy and stylish

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »

Yes ok it's more spacious and practical but the other two cars in the range the ZS and the HS are very classy and stylish

Have you actually sat in one? They're very derivative and bland, not ugly mind but very much carbon copies of other cars. And quality issues are cropping up all to regularly which can't be fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Have you actually sat in one? They're very derivative and bland, not ugly mind but very much carbon copies of other cars. And quality issues are cropping up all to regularly which can't be fixed.

Which quality issues are cropping up all to regularly which can't be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

k123456 wrote: »

There's an MG EV owners group on Facebook that I had looked into when getting a new car and there does seem to be a fair number of issues people are having. Having said that I went with the id4 so I'm sure I'll be posting my own problems in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

k123456 wrote: »

ba_barabus seems to have a weird personal grudge against them. Always very critical and doesn't own one either.

Just dropped mine off for a 1st service and bunch of software updates. I can't wait to be bong free

• Advertisement
Advertisement