Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chargers on car ferries

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭zg3409

Isambard wrote: »
    booking charger, getting on it, working out will it give me enough charge , finding charger at destination, is it one of the broken ones, etc

It seems to me an EV is at it's most useful within range of home.

An EV with the range you need for 99% of trips is ideal. You can save 2000 per year on fuel costs and fill up at home. For the occasional ferry trip an ICE may be easier to refuel, but fuel costs and getting a different vehicle may be a problem. The charging network across Europe is quite advanced and while it may mean multiple 30 minute stops, its possible to cross France, Germany, Italy etc and you can bring your EV.

Charging on a ferry is quicker than stopping for petrol. Try fill up your ICE on a ferry...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

tbh filling up on a trip involving a ferry is not a problem for me as I always arrive with plenty of time in hand and the chances are we would be wanting to stock up on nibbles anyway.

Multiple 30 minute stops sounds like a nightmare.

2000 saving needs to be stacked against the much higher purchase costs

The time might come when the market will dictate an EV but not for me yet especially as (in normal times) I would use ferries quite a bit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm planning/hoping to keep our EV for a minimum of 10 years, so that'll be a €20,000 saving in diesel over that 10 year period. (in 9 months alone we've already saved around €1,500).

Tax Diesel for 10 years: €7,100 (could be less with a newer car)
    Tax EV for 10 years: €1,200

Total savings over 10 years: €25,900

Purchase price of EV: €48,000

Cost of EV minus savings after 10 years: €22,100

Yeah. all day long.

Bonus: driving an EV which is immeasurably better than driving a diesel (BMW).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

tbh filling up on a trip involving a ferry is not a problem for me as I always arrive with plenty of time in hand and the chances are we would be wanting to stock up on nibbles anyway.

The time might come when the market will dictate an EV but not for me yet especially as (in normal times) I would use ferries quite a bit.

Multiple 30 minute stops are a nightmare, and are also necessary, depending on your specific EV and bladder range.

If you have a leaf24 and you can do 1 hour of driving and charge for 30 mins it's not good. However if you have say a Tesla or an ETron and you can do 300km and charge for 30 mins, it's not so bad. I find the car has more range on road trips than I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

If you travel long distance you should make a stop every 2 hours anyway. Even in an ICE car.

At the very least for the purpose of stretching your legs and maybe get some refreshments.

The only difference is, that the EV forces you to do so. Then again my Audi Allroad would start beeping at me, if I drove longer than 2 hours without stop.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I'm planning/hoping to keep our EV for a minimum of 10 years, so that'll be a €20,000 saving in diesel over that 10 year period. (in 9 months alone we've already saved around €1,500).

Tax Diesel for 10 years: €7,100 (could be less with a newer car)
    Tax EV for 10 years: €1,200

Total savings over 10 years: €25,900

Purchase price of EV: €48,000

Cost of EV minus savings after 10 years: €22,100

Yeah. all day long.

Bonus: driving an EV which is immeasurably better than driving a diesel (BMW).

It's very interesting. Do you think the batteries would last ten years? Even my modest car use comes to 25000km a year or so. 250000 without major expense in renewals seems optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well you say it's added inconvenience but you also said you're fine stopping en route for food and fuel, so why not a recharge?

Starting from full and a single recharge stop in a modern EV could allow you to cover 600km or more depending on your driving, which is probably what most people would feel safe doing in one day.

Now I know some folks would be happy to drive 1000km or more in one day, but I wouldn't feel safe doing that, so each to his own.

To give you an example of a trip I'm planning, I'm hoping to go to France in an ID.4 next year. I'll be charging to full at home and driving to the port expecting to have more than 95% battery (I'm based in Dublin).

Arriving in Cherbourg, it's around 200km to the resort, which won't require any charges on the way and I'll arrive with 30% battery remaining.

The resort has EV chargers for staff use but maybe they'll let me use them. Failing that, I could trickle charger off the mobile home. It's not quick, but overnight I could gain back 35% of my battery for free

There's also nearby St Malo which has multiple on street chargers. We'll probably visit the beach and see the town and charge there as well, in 4 hours I'd gain over 50% charge

So for literally no detours on my part I'll be able to keep the car charged.

I haven't got an itinerary planned yet but I'd be confident that if we're doing a day trip we'd only need 1 quick charge at most. A lot of places have slow chargers these days so it's quite possible with some careful planning I could get away without a single fast charge

Travelling home, we'll hopefully leaving with 100% but strictly speaking 80% charge would be enough to get us to the ferry without any drama.

It's unlikely that we'd need to use the charger on the ferry on the way home but if it's free then I might avail of it

So if anything the petrol car ends up being more inconvenient because it requires more detours :P

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It's very interesting. Do you think the batteries would last ten years? Even my modest car use comes to 25000km a year or so. 250000 without major expense in renewals seems optimistic.

Yes it will.
    I'm at 180k in my model S, with around 5% deg. That poster has a model 3 with newer battery form which should have even less deg.

Losing 10% in degradation over 10 years/250k km would still leave you with a perfectly useable car. If your range is 300km new, it means your range is 270km in 10 years.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes it will.
    I'm at 180k in my model S, with around 5% deg. That poster has a model 3 with newer battery form which should have even less deg.

That and the fact, that for example Tesla has 8 years unlimited milage warranty on the battery anyhow.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    That and the fact, that for example Tesla has 8 years unlimited milage warranty on the battery anyhow.

/M
    It's not unlimited for new cars anymore. 240k km or 8 years now is the limit, with a slightly lower one for M3 I think

(older cars bought on the older conditions obviously retain the 8 year unlimited warranty)

• Advertisement

Now I know some folks would be happy to drive 1000km or more in one day, but I wouldn't feel safe doing that, so each to his own.

I regularly do 1800 km stints. And I have managed to pull that off in one 23 hour session, with 2 short ferry sailings. It seriously takes it's toll on you.

In the last decade, I have decreased that to about 1300 km, by using other ferry connections and one of the sailings is overnight. So the longest stretch on that journey is about 750 km.

With Brexit, I will probably change my route again and up with 1600 km, one overnight ferry and unfortunately 1400 km on the last leg.

Either way .. for trips like that, you most certainly would stop every 2-3 hours anyhow for food/refreshments. Charging won't make any difference to it.

What will make a difference is the cost of the trip. I spend 200-300 EUR diesel on a trip like that. It'll be less than 100 EUR in charging fees with an EV.

/M

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's not unlimited for new cars anymore. 240k km or 8 years now is the limit, with a slightly lower one for M3 I think

240k km is still a lot and many people never get there in 8 years.

The only reason they put that limit in there is the likes of Taxis etc.

/M

Advertisement