Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Chargers on car ferries

  • 07-12-2020 3:30pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    So I've noticed that Irish ferries are now offering EV charging on some of their services (W.B Yeats and Ulysses)


    https://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/frequently-asked-questions/general-information/electric-cars/



    I'm wondering has anyone used them and how was the experience? Were there problems getting access to the charger? Any indications of how many chargers were on board and what charging speed your were getting?


    It looks like they've got Pod Point untethered units, so probably 7kW max unless they went for 3 phase. 7kW over 3.5 hours to the UK would give 24kWh, which isn't too bad. Hopefully they didn't go for the 3.6kW units



    Anyone know if other ferry operators are offering something similar? It'd definitely be handy for people who needs to travel some distance to the ferry so they can arrive with a decent charge in the battery


«1

Comments

  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 6,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭ liamog


    I used it on a trip to Wales last year, I told the people at the check in that we'd reserved the EV charger, they asked me to put the hazards on while approaching the ferry. When I got to the ferry I told the guy had booked the charger and he directed us to the right place.
    It all went pretty smooth.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭ AndyBoBandy


    Guilleme covered it in a video not so long ago, going from Dublin to France.

    Looks to be 3-4kW



    We were planning on taking the new EV on a trip to France this year (then Covid happened) and thought this would be great to use, but for me it wouldn't really as I could make it to the Port from home with about 90% left..(so it would seem like hogging it for only 10% extra top up) likewise on the return from France.. Dont think I'd need it as I'd only need 10-15% to get home (extra 5% for all the wine on board :rolleyes: )

    Great offering though, and they should have more.. 1 per ship is a start, but they could have at least 4/8 of them...


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    Probably a 3.6kw unit then, handy for the France route but not much use for UK.

    It'd probably be more useful on the way home as you don't need to worry about having enough battery to get from the port to home

    Although, as you pointed out, you don't need much battery if you're around Dublin

    It's a shame there's only 1, hopefully they'll add more. I noticed from Irish ferries booking they don't seem to be letting you book the charger on W.B. Yeats, I wonder if it's broken. Hopefully gets fixed soon.

    Personally, I'd probably add it to my booking a day or so in advance, assuming it wasn't booked. Let someone who might need it get a shot at it


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭ zg3409


    Have a look on plugshare app for the entry next to Dublin port. It lists the ferry charger and the same lusting on the Wales/France side. Note you need to reserve at time of booking.

    There is also multiple 50+kW chargers next to Dublin port so if you arrive early you can fill up before ferry in case something goes wrong. I would never presume it would work and have a back up plan. Make sure you are booking with the correct company and actual ferry name. They change around ferries at different times of the year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ zenith90


    Charger on WB Yeats back in action, used it yesterday.
    ~3kW so good for top-up only on a 4hr Irish Sea crossing.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ Kramer


    and they should have more.. 1 per ship is a start, but they could have at least 4/8 of them...

    There were at least 2 on the WB Yeats the last 2 times we sailed, possibly 4, maybe 2 on each deck/level. One at the front, either side of the central stairs/lift block.

    It's arguably the least green way of charging an EV - all power being derived from heavy oil - ships aren't very green. I'd still rather arrive in Cherbourg with a full battery but if not going far etc., it would be greener to recharge from the grid in France.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭ n97 mini


    Kramer wrote: »
    There were at least 2 on the WB Yeats the last 2 times we sailed, possibly 4, maybe 2 on each deck/level. One at the front, either side of the central stairs/lift block.

    It's arguably the least green way of charging an EV - all power being derived from heavy oil - ships aren't very green. I'd still rather arrive in Cherbourg with a full battery but if not going far etc., it would be greener to recharge from the grid in France.

    In the grand scheme of things charging an EV won't make any difference to oil consumption. They're not charging anything for it, I'd say they haven't noticed it on the fuel bill. Headwinds, high seas etc will have a big impact.

    Point taken though. They may as well be burning coal.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    I used it coming back from the UK with the car. 16a single phase and low voltage, giving about 2-2.5kW.

    On a longer trip (eg to france, 13 hrs) it would be more worthwhile


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭ Marlow


    Kramer wrote: »
    It's arguably the least green way of charging an EV - all power being derived from heavy oil - ships aren't very green. I'd still rather arrive in Cherbourg with a full battery but if not going far etc., it would be greener to recharge from the grid in France.

    As "n97 mini" pointed out, it won't make much difference in the greater scheme nor on their fuel consumption, if any.

    I think it's a great feature to have for the Cherbourg crossing. Especially, when you're planning on going quite a distance, once you arrive there.

    /M


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ Kramer


    Marlow wrote: »
    I think it's a great feature to have for the Cherbourg crossing. Especially, when you're planning on going quite a distance, once you arrive there.

    Oh I agree - it's great & I've used it on both the outbound & return legs on my last two trips to Cherbourg as we've still got a 2+ hour drive home from Dublin port when we get back.
    Funnily enough, the last time we got on, a BEV Ioniq 28 got on directly behind us & didn't charge. There was a charge point free. I assume he didn't need the charge - probably a Dub :pac:.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭ AndyBoBandy


    Moneypoint burns coal to generate electricity.... Lough Ree burns peat.

    In fact, most Gas Turbines in Ireland are configured for dual fuel (gas & diesel), so if there’s ever a disruption to our gas supply, our electricity will be coming from dirty diesel.....

    (Sites with dual fuel machines typically have a 24 hour diesel contingency in tanks onsite for such a scenario)


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    Marlow wrote: »
    I think it's a great feature to have for the Cherbourg crossing. Especially, when you're planning on going quite a distance, once you arrive there.

    /M

    Agreed, luckily there are dual 50kW chargers in the port now, so there's another option. But I imagine most people wouldn't be looking forward to a 30 min charging stop as soon as they get off the boat


  • Posts: 0 ✭✭ [Deleted User]


    Marlow wrote: »
    I think it's a great feature to have for the Cherbourg crossing. Especially, when you're planning on going quite a distance, once you arrive there.

    /M

    Agree, however I would hesitate to rely on the service if I have a long drive the far end of a ferry(esp with a family). You just never know, they could have an issue with chargers(may not be working at all or may stop working 5 mins after walking away from car) / be over booked, the last thing I would want is to be getting off the boat facing a long drive and have to mess unexpectedly with chargers. Allow an extra 45mins and charge in roslare / Dublin before boarding would be my approach


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ kanuseeme


    That works until some one allows 50 minutes and your stuck waiting till he finishes


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭ Cyrus


    Kramer wrote: »
    There were at least 2 on the WB Yeats the last 2 times we sailed, possibly 4, maybe 2 on each deck/level. One at the front, either side of the central stairs/lift block.

    It's arguably the least green way of charging an EV - all power being derived from heavy oil - ships aren't very green. I'd still rather arrive in Cherbourg with a full battery but if not going far etc., it would be greener to recharge from the grid in France.

    They are a bit greener how the sulphur levels have been decreased from 3.5 percent to 0.5 since the start of this year and given the loads they carry ships aren’t the worst .


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭ Marlow


    Mayo_fan wrote: »
    Agree, however I would hesitate to rely on the service if I have a long drive the far end of a ferry(esp with a family). You just never know, they could have an issue with chargers(may not be working at all or may stop working 5 mins after walking away from car) / be over booked, the last thing I would want is to be getting off the boat facing a long drive and have to mess unexpectedly with chargers. Allow an extra 45mins and charge in roslare / Dublin before boarding would be my approach

    The first supercharger from Cherbourg is in Caen, which is 125km from the ferry. And there is at least 2 places with 50kW chargers in Cherbourg itself.

    So there is no issue really, to get a charge after you depart the ferry, should you not be able to charge on the ferry.

    The same as coming of the ferry in Dublin.

    Generally, it's probably always a better plan to charge coming off the ferry. You waste less time that way.

    /M


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭ Estella Crashing Chopstick


    Moneypoint burns coal to generate electricity....

    Not any more, it’s more or less shut down.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    Not any more, it’s more or less shut down.

    I thought it broke last year but was running again?

    Fingers crossed it gets shut down, they source the coal from some dodgy mining company in south america


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    Marlow wrote: »
    The first supercharger from Cherbourg is in Caen, which is 125km from the ferry. And there is at least 2 places with 50kW chargers in Cherbourg itself.

    So there is no issue really, to get a charge after you depart the ferry, should you not be able to charge on the ferry.

    The same as coming of the ferry in Dublin.

    Generally, it's probably always a better plan to charge coming off the ferry. You waste less time that way.

    /M

    According to Chargemap the two chargers in Cherbourg are busted :(

    I'd say it's best to budget the time for a charge before or after the ferry, but use the charger on the ferry if possible and view the time saving as a bonus


  • Posts: 0 ✭✭ [Deleted User]


    Marlow wrote: »
    The first supercharger from Cherbourg is in Caen, which is 125km from the ferry. And there is at least 2 places with 50kW chargers in Cherbourg itself.

    So there is no issue really, to get a charge after you depart the ferry, should you not be able to charge on the ferry.

    The same as coming of the ferry in Dublin.

    Generally, it's probably always a better plan to charge coming off the ferry. You waste less time that way.

    /M

    All good information, my angle was you get off the ferry and you typically have a long drive ahead with family. I’d like to tackle that with a full battery and not to have to go to plan b because there was an issue charging on boat. Therefore I’d plan to arrive at ferry as close to 100% as possible even it means allowing extra time for a top up in Dublin / roslare


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011


    Something's burning coal for the current grid-wide energy mix; but its 6% of total (390MW) not the near GW that Moneypoint does at full whack; so its probably just Kilroot. Its not import, we're exporting as of the exact time I checked the stats.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭ AndyBoBandy


    Not any more, it’s more or less shut down.

    Will be needed up to 2027 at least according to the ESB about 2 weeks ago...


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    Will be needed up to 2027 at least according to the ESB about 2 weeks ago...

    Is that the same division that can't predict EV demand? :p


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭ Marlow


    According to Chargemap the two chargers in Cherbourg are busted :(

    I'd say it's best to budget the time for a charge before or after the ferry, but use the charger on the ferry if possible and view the time saving as a bonus

    I referred to the other 2 locations in Cherbourg. There are 3 locations with fast chargers.

    - 1 with 2 busted chargers at Aubert Automobiles KIA ... that's the one with the 2 busted chargers
    - 1 at Lidl .... looking at that, those chargers are also bust
    - 1 at Auchan Cherbourg, where it seems, that the Chademo charger is busted, but the type 2 AC is ok.

    These are reports from October, so they could have been fixed since. Then again .. this is France :)
    Mayo_fan wrote: »
    All good information, my angle was you get off the ferry and you typically have a long drive ahead with family. I’d like to tackle that with a full battery and not to have to go to plan b because there was an issue charging on boat. Therefore I’d plan to arrive at ferry as close to 100% as possible even it means allowing extra time for a top up in Dublin / roslare

    Well, if you charge before going on the ferry, then you're guaranteed to prolong your trip by starting way earlier at home.

    If the charger on the ferry works, then you don't prolong your trip at all.

    If the charger on the ferry doesn't work, then you add a bit in Cherbourg or at a point near enough to Caen, but at least you don't chance missing check-in on the ferry.

    Your approach is my opinion a stress creator. But everyone to their own.

    /M


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ Kramer


    Marlow wrote: »
    I referred to the other 2 locations in Cherbourg. There are 3 locations with fast chargers.

    We used the AC Tesla destination charge point while topping up with cheap alcohol at the Carrefour hypermarket in Cherbourg. It's in the multistorey & IIRC, there were several there, 3 or 4 Tesla ones probably.

    A Model 3 would pull 11kWs so worth doing if carting out wine anyway :).

    It was here:
    https://www.carrefour.fr/magasin/cherbourg


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭ Marlow


    Kramer wrote: »
    We used the AC Tesla destination charge point while topping up with cheap alcohol at the Carrefour hypermarket in Cherbourg.

    There's loads of destination chargers around Cherbourg from looking at Plugshare. I just listed the 50kW ones for reference.

    But I certainly don't see an issue getting a charge in Cherbourg or Caen, if the charger on the ferry doesn't work. And I most certainly prefer the time saving by charging it on the ferry, if it works.

    My point was, that it's pointless charging fully up before boarding the ferry and unnecessary add time to the overall trip.

    /M


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭ zg3409


    Marlow wrote: »
    If the charger on the ferry works, then you don't prolong your trip at all.

    If the charger on the ferry doesn't work, then you add a bit in Cherbourg or at a point near enough to Caen, but at least you don't chance missing check-in on the ferry.

    Your approach is my opinion a stress creator. But everyone to their own.

    /M

    If I am heading for a ferry I typically intend to arrive 45 minutes early in case of traffic, puncture, delays setting off, so with a couple of 50kW+ chargers at Dublin port you can fill up to 100% and leave on time to get ferry. This way you have 3 chances of filling, before ferry, on ferry, and other side. As mentioned other side is risky as there may be multiple EVs all leaving the ferry at the exact same moment with the same idea.

    I find its less stressful to be at 100% and early. Chargers on ferries are a great idea but they need to be 7kW+ for 3 hour crossings.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    is it worth all the hassle I have to ask?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    Isambard wrote: »
    is it worth all the hassle I have to ask?

    What hassle is that?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    booking charger, getting on it, working out will it give me enough charge , finding charger at destination, is it one of the broken ones, etc

    It seems to me an EV is at it's most useful within range of home.


Advertisement