Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

schmittel wrote: »
    Apologies if I was confusing in my post - my point was about the physical housing stock that exists - however many x per 1000 population - nothing to do with current supply for sale or current sales prices.

Of course current supply for sale is almost entirely to do with current sales prices.

What I don’t get is why the talking heads were not wailing in 2006 about the fact we needed to build 50,000 houses a year for the next 10 years or else people will have nowhere to live, when they’re saying that now and the figures per 1000 are broadly similiar.

are there more "households"? as in more single people etc as well as more families? I'm sure some expert has stats on this. Did i read there are X% more single people at older ages now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

cnocbui wrote: »
    So you don't have any kids and are shooting from the lip, as usual. Figures.

Oh, and by the way, you are beyond kidding yourself if you think the 'bugs' can just be worked out.

Maybe I do and maybe I don't, but I wouldn't be posting any personal details into any forum board.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

1 hour 20 minutes from Killarney to Cork and 1 hour 30 minutes Tralee to Limerick. Many people commuted a similar distance to work pre covid to save the same or less.

So not a max of one hour like you initially claimed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Most kids in Kerry attend university in either Limerick or Cork. Both are about an hours drive away at a maximum from most locations in Kerry.

What would be your frame of reference for that claimed knowledge?

I live near Limerick and my son attended 4 years of university in Dublin, as did others from his graduating class.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

Hubertj wrote: »
    are there more "households"? as in more single people etc as well as more families? I'm sure some expert has stats on this. Did i read there are X% more single people at older ages now....

I’m not sure of the numbers, but I’d guess an increase, just wonder is it really that big an increase between 2006 and 2016, doesn’t seem likely, but who knows.

You make a very valid point though. It’s interesting that someone who has been active on this thread for some time, wading through 10,000 posts or more, is a bit vague on this question.

That’s not a dig at you, far from it. Most people including myself are a bit vague on this. That’s my point. I don’t get it.

• Advertisement

What would be your frame of reference for that claimed knowledge?

I live near Limerick and my son attended 4 years of university in Dublin, as did others from his graduating class.

Probably because Dublin is c. 2 hour drive from Limerick. Tralee is just over c. 3 hours. And, yes, you can knock a few minutes off the google maps published travel times.

Plus, you didn't have the option pre covid to save c. €50k.

Probably because Dublin is c. 2 hour drive from Limerick. Tralee is just over c. 3 hours. And, yes, you can knock a few minutes off the google maps published travel times.

No, your statement that most go to college in Limerick etc. You stated that as fact. What is the source of your fact?

annual cost of running a car? And what if you cant borrow your parents car as you previously suggested as viable? perhaps they could hitch a lift. or cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,740 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

annual cost of running a car? And what if you cant borrow your parents car as you previously suggested as viable? perhaps they could hitch a lift. or cycle.

interesting you should say that, the whole hitching sub culture is now going to undergo transformative growth, from almost dying out it will now be a vibrant scene with scores of country kids hitching back to the schmoke for a days lectures and hitching home again.

You would be surprised at how imaginative people get when they learn they can save c. €50k on the cost of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

No, your statement that most go to college in Limerick etc. You stated that as fact. What is the source of your fact?

No idea whether this was PropQueries source or he was relying on good old fashioned common sense, but the data backs up his claim nonetheless:

https://www.irishtimes.com/feeder-schools/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Timing belt

For sure family sizes are getting smaller and living arrangements are entirely different in 2020 compared to say 1920.

But are they really that different to say 2006?

In 2006 there was no talk of a physical housing stock shortage with 417 dwellings per 1000 people.

In 2016 there is talk of a chronic physical housing stock shortage with 421 dwellings per 1000 people.

Why? I don't get it.

It depends on what is classified as housing stock. One bed apartments are very different to a 3 bed semi. Likewise it doesn’t show the split by area with main cities reporting shortages.

Most kids in Kerry attend university in either Limerick or Cork. Both are about an hours drive away at a maximum from most locations in Kerry.

And yet the majority rent in cork/limerick rather than commute...so your point is what??

Cyrus wrote: »
    interesting you should say that, the whole hitching sub culture is now going to undergo transformative growth, from almost dying out it will now be a vibrant scene with scores of country kids hitching back to the schmoke for a days lectures and hitching home again.

The motorways will be full of hitch hickers and people will start investing in property in rural towns as the prices increases will be eye watering as everyone moves out of Dublin. The Green Party will even come on board with prop’s suggestions and remove tax on diesel and petrol to support the kids commuting to college and will knock empty properties in Dublin and build eco friendly parks in there place.

No idea whether this was PropQueries source or he was relying on good old fashioned common sense, but the data backs up his claim nonetheless:

What is this telling us? That there are colleges universities outside Dublin? They were there 20/30 years ago and doesn’t back anything up. I struggle to see why there will be a change?

And yet the majority rent in cork/limerick rather than commute...so your point is what??

The point is that the remote learning wasn't even considered an option last January pre covid. Now, parents outside Dublin will be asking why the universities can't rejig their courses to support this long term.

Dublin parents haven't had this cost and parents outside Dublin have been forced to fork out upwards of €50k over the course of a 4 year degree, pre covid, so their kids can attend college in Dublin or other cities.

The chance to save €50k per child will be very motivating factor in forcing through changes going forward IMO.

The way I see it happening is that universities will have 2 days a week on campus and students from the west will attend universities in the West coast and students within an hours drive will choose courses in the east coast.

Most students will then be within an hours commute to their chosen university and this will remove the only reason for students renting accommodation in our cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,740 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The point is that the remote learning wasn't even considered an option last January pre covid. Now, parents outside Dublin will be asking why the universities can't rejig their courses to support this long term.

Dublin parents haven't had this cost and parents outside Dublin have been forced to fork out upwards of €50k over the course of a 4 year degree, pre covid, so their kids can attend college in Dublin or other cities.

The chance to save €50k per child will be very motivating factor in forcing through changes going forward IMO.

The way I see it happening is that universities will have 2 days a week on campus and students from the west will attend universities in the West coast and students within an hours drive will choose courses in the east coast.

Most students will then be within an hours commute to their chosen university and this will remove the only reason for students renting accommodation in our cities.

So instead of picking the best college for their chosen discipline they just pick whichever is most convenient for whatever days they can borrow a parents car . Is that it ?

Cyrus wrote: »
    So instead of picking the best college for their chosen discipline they just pick whichever is most convenient for whatever days they can borrow a parents car . Is that it ?

What best college? UCC, UL and UCG are no different to UCD or Trinity. All the textbooks are the same no matter where a student attends.

You would be surprised at how imaginative people get when they learn they can save c. €50k on the cost of anything.

how? cycle? teleport? eScooter? Fly? run? swim? hover board?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can I remind you that you were specifically told to stop interacting with PropQueries on thread.

• Advertisement

I assume they have other options. They can drive their family car. A few kids from the same town can group together and all drive in the one car.

Or more likely, some local minibus driver will spot a business opportunity and provide a regular bus service to the universities from the villages in the surrounding counties on a daily basis once the demand is there.

They provide this service for niteclubs etc. all over Ireland at the moment in case you think that's also a stretch.

Your reaction will be interesting when faced with needing a dentist or doctor who learned remotely. I'd literally buy tickets to watch such an event.

The motivating factor for a parent, which you clearly are not, is for your child to receive a good education. I have one child whom I funded to receive an eduction in Dublin - more like €35K than 50 - necessitating 4 years of fees and accommodation. I have another undergoing a near meltdown trying to cope with the remote tertiary learning experience - even though the college is in walking distance.

I think I know far better than you what motivates a parent and what their concerns are for their children and see in your ill-informed prognostications, a steaming pile of bovine excrement.

How does that back up his assertion:

Your reaction will be interesting when faced with needing a dentist or doctor who learned remotely. I'd literally buy tickets to watch such an event.

The motivating factor for a parent, which you clearly are not, is for your child to receive a good education. I have one child whom I funded to receive an eduction in Dublin - more like €35K than 50 - necessitating 4 years of fees and accommodation. I have another undergoing a near meltdown trying to cope with the remote tertiary learning experience - even though the college is in walking distance.

I think I know far better than you what motivates a parent and what their concerns are for their children and see in your ill-informed prognostications, a steaming pile of bovine excrement.

So, all the students who attend UL, UCC or UCG are getting a bad education?

There's one thing though. If people truly believe that, I'm very impressed with the marketing departments of both UCD and Trinity in getting that message out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

A company in Kerry is building houses for its staff in order to provide security for their staff as well as to attract and retain workers.

They state “The houses in small blocks are A-rated, with air-to-water heating, and come in at the not-for-profit price of €150,000”.

“The houses are fully owned by our employees. Employees have to work with the company for 10 years and after that they are free to sell without any penalty.”

Link to article in the Irish Times here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/kerry-employer-builds-homes-to-help-and-retain-staff-1.4429175

It’s kind of sad that we have now got to this situation where companies have to build houses for their staff so they don’t risk losing them IMO

Yarrra, if you can't buy a house near Castleisland for 150k there's something wrong with you! Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

lalababa wrote: »
    Yarrra, if you can't buy a house near Castleisland for 150k there's something wrong with you! Ha

Well the only A rated house in Castleisland for sale at the moment costs 300k

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/kerry/house-for-sale-in-castleisland?maxprice=425000

AS a matter of fact I cant see 1 A rated house in Kerry for 150k or less
    In fact there is none available for less than 200k

1 hour 20 minutes from Killarney to Cork and 1 hour 30 minutes Tralee to Limerick. Many people commuted a similar distance to work pre covid to save the same or less.

What about de wild people who live South of these two great metropolis es??🙄

brisan wrote: »
    Well the only A rated house in Castleisland for sale at the moment costs 300k

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/kerry/house-for-sale-in-castleisland?maxprice=425000

AS a matter of fact I cant see 1 A rated house in Kerry for 150k or less
    In fact there is none available for less than 200k

Oh it has to be A rated does it , didn't know daat! In that case I can categorically state that you won't get an A rated house near Castleisland for 150k. On de flip side you can get a B, C,D,E,F, and G rated ones....and put on an auld wooly jumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

lalababa wrote: »
    Oh it has to be A rated does it , didn't know daat! In that case I can categorically state that you won't get an A rated house near Castleisland for 150k. On de flip side you can get a B, C,D,E,F, and G rated ones....and put on an auld wooly jumper.

Reading the posts might help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

You don't understand the business model of the top Universities in Ireland, and if you did you would quickly recognize why they will not move to remote learning long term.

They don't give a sh**te above Mary and John living in Kerry who'll save a small fortune by keeping their child at home in Kerry. Irish students are a "we have to accommodate them" for top tier (within Ireland) Universities, not a "we want to make sure everyone gets an education so lets make this as cheap as possible".

They care about those students from the UAE/China who will inject circa 200K + into the university in direct fees by coming here for 4 years.

This is not going anywhere.

On to your next *find any random theory and attempt to stir up that an imminent collapse is coming*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement