Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Tonnes of 500ml Guinness for €20 in Clarehall Dublin tonight so I'd say the larger Tesco stores will have stock now

My holdout against the 470ml and their crappy widgets paid dividends with a new 5 off 25 voucher bagging two for €35

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Invincible wrote: »
    Was in Tesco

Hennessey 700ml €30
    Bailey's 700ml €13
    Guinness 24*500ml €20

Seems they put up the first 2 from Friday.
    The bailey was 10 and smirnoff was 20 on sunday. I was wondering if they would jack them up today. My voucher did not become valid until today, while all the previous ones started on a sunday.

I wonder if the 2 guinness for 35 has also stopped.
    oceanman wrote: »
    guinness straight from the can?
    Yes, I drink most beer from the can. I am particular enough about the head on the guinness, A 500ml can ends up with a massive crappy head in a pint glass, I enjoy it more from a can rather than poured like that. If you stick a half inch in the glass first it solves it but is hassle. If people have 470ml cans they are not happy with they should try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

30 470ml slabs and 3 500ml on floor in front of them. The untrained eye wouldn't know the difference. I suspect the core Guinness drinker will spot the right one.
    Noticed individual cans are 24 for 20 euro.
    Offer of 2 for 35 gone.
    Nice to hear the rattle from the slab.

I did buy a 470ml last week, it isn't bad but lacks the heavy head. Grand for cheap price.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Daisies wrote: »
    Which Limerick shop is this?

It was in Coonagh. They had lots as you can see from the pic. That was just after eleven this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

presumably the great widget shortage of 2020 is over so. First the virus, now this - roll on 2021!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

loyatemu wrote: »
    presumably the great widget shortage of 2020 is over so. First the virus, now this - roll on 2021!

Was it a shortage of widgets or a shortage of Guinness. Since March, James Gate stopped brewing except to keep the yeast culture true. They are now back in production.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Was it a shortage of widgets or a shortage of Guinness. Since March, James Gate stopped brewing except to keep the yeast culture true. They are now back in production.

Or chancing some live market research? which backfired.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

TheDriver wrote: »
    Or chancing some live market research? which backfired.....

I cannot believe it was shortage of widgets. It takes a lot of research to produce Guinness Lite, and I'd imagine it takes a lot of research to take the widget out. Probably as much, if not more, to put it in.

So, yes, that wonderous Diageo Marketing Dept that brought us Guinness Lite. Another brewing high point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

My local Tesco had the 470ml so its hit and miss on the 500ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I'll miss the 470ml cans, they exposed taste buds that people never knew existed. Hopefully Guinness will sell a 499ml can with widget just to exercise some minds again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

kn wrote: »
    My local Tesco had the 470ml so its hit and miss on the 500ml.

The Guinness cans in the first Tesco I tried were 470ml, but they still had the drop / delivery date sticker on them which was 28/11/2020 so old stock. Depends on the stock levels of the old stock if they have the new dropped 500ml cans.

I went to a larger Tesco and they had the 500ml new stock in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Tesco Clearwater only had 470ml last night, but Tesco Express at Beneavin had the 500ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

didn't they say it was a shortage of widgets?
    was there a suggestion the beer was being brewed somewhere other than Dublin - I though SJG brewed for the whole of Ireland and UK these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

rubadub wrote: »
    A 500ml can ends up with a massive crappy head in a pint glass,

Only if you pour it arseways

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

loyatemu wrote: »
    didn't they say it was a shortage of widgets?
    was there a suggestion the beer was being brewed somewhere other than Dublin - I though SJG brewed for the whole of Ireland and UK these days...

Yes they used Covid as an excuse for the shortage of widgets. They had someone on one of the radio programs

• Registered Users Posts: 43 morchgally

Has anybody seen promotions on Smithwicks?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

morchgally wrote: »
    Thanks

8 x 500 ml Smithwicks red cans are €12 in Tesco, Supervalu.
    (It's about €2 off the usual price for that pack)

Tesco have 4 x 500 ml bottles of the full Smithwicks range in their 4 for €10.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=smithwicks

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Thanks

I picked up a couple of 8 packs of Smithwicks (cans) in Dunnes last week for €10.80ish each. That's the best I've come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Thanks

I am a Smithwicks fan myself, the bargains on it is always few and far between.

Obriens offlicense do 5 of the 500ml bottles for 10 euro , i find it a nicer taste than from the can.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

131639544_3571073292969076_7384410289468682188_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=m6kOPtIsLJEAX-rz7a5&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=9b2e751410c477cd5f860fdb20f29964&oe=5FFC95F7

Ice Cold Direct in Limerick doing slabs €20 - Carlsberg, Bulmers, Budweiser, Guinness 24 x Cans
    http://icecolddirect.ie/beer.html?fbclid=IwAR3sYkHZzv55s_SJr-Uf85etQ-syXy3qVVhn297VazAOd1wJaWg0U9vVbjY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭POBox19

Seve OB wrote: »
    Only if you pour it arseways

In order to avoid that happening they thoughtfully put the hole on the top.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 morchgally

andrew1977 wrote: »

Obriens offlicense do 5 of the 500ml bottles for 10 euro , i find it a nicer taste than from the can.

Thanks all for the replies, will check those locations. Smithwicks blonde is very nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

For anyone with Tesco employee friends/family don't forget the 20% off everything starts today.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonnyatomic

I can 100% confirm Tesco have 500ml Guinness cans with widgets for €20.. just got 2 slabs, also have hop house bottles 20 for €18.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

andrew1977 wrote: »

If u have a code to go shopping in Musgrave cash n carry, I have seen a 12 bottle pack of smithwicks red for €20 but then u have to add the 21% vat at till but still think it will work out cheaper than the 4 for €10 bottle deal in most deals, I prefer the blonde, that’s almost impossible to get a pint of that in a bar, really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Prices from Musgrave cash n carry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Zardoz

DuffleBag wrote: »
    For anyone with Tesco employee friends/family don't forget the 20% off everything starts today.

How does that work ?
    My buddy works there, I know he gets 10% off .
    Can he add some friends to the offer too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭sully123

Thanks

I miss Bass. It was a good cheap alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

SkatesOn wrote: »
    131639544_3571073292969076_7384410289468682188_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=m6kOPtIsLJEAX-rz7a5&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=9b2e751410c477cd5f860fdb20f29964&oe=5FFC95F7

Ice Cold Direct in Limerick doing slabs €20 - Carlsberg, Bulmers, Budweiser, Guinness 24 x Cans
    http://icecolddirect.ie/beer.html?fbclid=IwAR3sYkHZzv55s_SJr-Uf85etQ-syXy3qVVhn297VazAOd1wJaWg0U9vVbjY

Got a slab of Carlsberg & Bud, and delivered in about 45 minutes - how bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Zardoz wrote: »
    How does that work ?
    My buddy works there, I know he gets 10% off .
    Can he add some friends to the offer too ?

They get a card for themselves and one for a family member. 10% turns to 20% from today for a week or so.

And no it's their card or the companion card that needs to be used. Borrow it ;-)

Advertisement