Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Rum/Ron/Rhum are we drinking this month?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Appleton 12 is very good, around your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭grizzcol2

sailor jerry is only 35 quid in tesco at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭grizzcol2

Plantation 20th Anniversary XO

Ron Zacapa 23

Santa Teresa 1796

They're all around the 70 quid mark and worth trying (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Technically, Sailor Jerry isn't rum.

How much was the Lidl rum?

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mobius2021

Had my first neat rum last night - Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. Bought it in O'Brien's for €44.

Already a big whiskey drinker and have to say I loved it - nice flavour and fairly sweet, probably at the upper end of sweetness for me. Previously I have had rum with mixers and in cocktails. I would say that if someone likes this they would like a Bourbon and vice-versa, due to the sweetness.

As a comparison I compared it to a cheap rum I have here for Coke and Mojitos - Old Hopking from Aldi. That stuff was very harsh and nasty in comparison to Diplomatico. A much bigger gap between these two and a cheap and premium whiskey, was surprised by the gap.

So, I'm going to be heading to Portugal in a few weeks and hoping to pick up some alcohol in the shops or airport. Any recommendations for another rum? This time maybe something less sweet and with a bit more spice to it? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Flor de Cana is quite nice and usually available in Portugal.

I'm not a big fan of Diplomatico or Ron Zacapa. Find them both too sweet and kinda "flavoured" tasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What do people think of Mount Gay Eclipse Rum?

Seems to be about €35 - €40 here but lot cheaper up North e.g. £20.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The Reserva Exclusiva is the sweetest of the Diplomatico rums. I actually prefer the less expensive Diplomatico Manutano, as do Venezuelan friends, it is a little bit drier.

If you want to try something in a similar vein, but less sweet, you could also look for Cacique 500, which is probably my favourite Venezuelan rum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not a frequent rum drinker, but picked up Black's Coconut Pineapple Rum (aged in their coconut pineapple beer casks), while it was on a rum/beer combo special last week. Beautiful drink on the rocks.

Anyone has this- how peated is it? Any good?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'd planned to compare and contrast some Silkie whiskeys tonight, but got a craving for rum instead. Made a little rum Old Fashioned with Zacapa no. 23. Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Love Zacapa 23! Always bring a bottle back with me when ever I get over to the continent

Advertisement