Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Rum/Ron/Rhum are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

There's a place for that kind of product. Like heading into town on the bus, before you get to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

We sometimes bring some with us when we are away in a hotel for having back in the room after a night out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah they have their role but spiced though... just make it a Havana Club Cuba Libre.

Speaking of which, Tesco have the Havana Club Anejo Especial reduced to 24e and the basic Havana Club for 23e.

ps anyone else have a glitch on this thread that they are always brought to the first post? Doesn't happen to be on my other bookmarked threads.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Think I've had the spiced one with coke before. It's something they push. They were flinging them out for free at some ligger event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Anyone seen Clement VSOP anywhere recently? Looking for a good Agricole for a Mai Tai that'll go well with the Appleton 8 I already have, and that seems to be one of the highest rated ones. Seems absolutely impossible to find though.

Celtic Whiskey have Clement Ambre which might be worth a shot if nothing turns up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bumping this thread to mention that ALDI have Salvado Panamanian Rum in stock at the moment for €25, well worth checking out by rum fans.

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-rum-70cl-salvado/5391532240435

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

They also have a 4 year old rum which I might pick up soon.

I recently opened a bottle of Appleton's 12 Year Old Rare Cask - I think it's a pretty standard aged rum, but I've never had one before, and I loved it, some weird funky flavours in it.

Can anyone recommend something that would push that experience a bit more?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've liked anything I've had from Plantation, there's quite a range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Appleton 12 is a market leader at that price range and age, it would be hard to top without spending more.

A lot of similar products around the same are nice but not as refined.

El Dorado would be worth looking at an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've just (last night) finished the very last of my Cacique, a Venezuelan gold rum that I absolutely enjoy. Will have to keep an eye for it next time I'm in Spain as I've never yet been able to lay hands on it in Ireland. Similar but superior to Havana Anejo and even Bacardi oro 8yr old.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Is Flor De Cana produced by Coca Cola?

The font on the bottle is very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Some nice fruit and spice on this one.

Bit of a calvados vibe to it which I assume is from the last stage of aging in cognac barrels

The blurb

"Another incredible release in Plantation's "Under the Sea" Vintage collection. This rum was distilled in Panama and matured in the tropical climate in ex-bourbon barrels for 12 years, before being transported to France where it underwent a further year of ageing in ex-Ferrand Cognac casks. Offers wonderful notes of honeycomb, red apple, hazelnuts, toffee, chocolate and cigar box throughout the palate."

Also has some of the personality of Salvado But the finish on the plantation lingers much longer.. Probably not surprising as both Panama and spend time in bourbon barrels. But I think it's a good indicator of how much value there is in Salvado at it's price point to be mentioned along side this.

I've yet to try a Plantation that I haven't liked.

Even the Plantation Pineapple is lovely. Full strength, not overly sweet and not overly pineappley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Technophobe

yep, same here...hard to get anything poor from Plantation...

I've always had an interest in Venezuelan rums, as a result of a close Venezuelan friend who prioritises drinking it, but until now I never had a bottle of Santa Teresa 1796.

The Venezuelans I know would regard this is as the finest widely available rum from their country, above other 'premium' (Not that premium, really) offerings from Diplomatico and Cacique.

I opened my 1L bottle a few weeks ago, and I'm a bit underwhelmed. It's got a bang of 'quality' off it, in the sense that this is a very clean, filtered rum that undoubtedly has very good balance and mellowness. I gather it's 8-12 year old rums in ex bourbon casks, solera method.

But it's just a bit insipid.

I'm surprised to say this, but I think Cacique 500, although cheaper, is a much more interesting product with a far more dashing banana nose on it (That sounds weird, but it's what I associate with it, the nose is cracking). The Cacique has a notably rough finish and some burn, but overall I would drink it neat over the 1796 any day.

But I can see how people who are habitually non spirit drinkers, or who don't actually want to taste that much, might perceive the 1796 to be the better product. It's certainly more approachable.

I won't tell my Venezuelan friend, but honestly, none of them hold a candle to Appleton.

Lots of "premium" spirits are boring. They tend to emphasis smoothness over flavour.

I once tasted some ultra premium rum at a trade show. Can't remember the brand but it was an aged rum with the colour filtered out. Looked like a silver rum but tasted kinda like a golden rum. Very expensive, completely pointless!

Higher end Appleton or El Dorado is the way to go, certainly not bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Is there a place in Ireland, ideally in Limerick. where one could try various good rums, buying them by the shot or as a pack? I want to find what I actually like before shelling out for entire bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭adaminho

I'll take pictures in work tomorrow. Don't have a large selection but have a few unusual ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

This stuff is pretty decent, especially at half price (if you spend over €100). I'll stick a link in the bargain alerts thread also

https://foodonfire.ie/collections/alcoholic-beverages/products/barbacoa-rum

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Anyone tried these rums from Lidl?

Both bourbon barrel aged with the Barbados also getting some Bordeaux treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭grizzcol2

tried the barbados one - definitely wont be buying it again - and will only serve it to enemies :)

What didn't you like about it?

What rums do you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭grizzcol2

extremely harsh to drink

so i'd have bottles of diplomatico, ron zacapa, plantation...

but even a bottle of sailor jerry was soo much nicer than that stuff

You've, perhaps, saved me buying a bottle.

How much is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Any recommendations for a Rum to try? Started drinking Havana 7 recently and love it. Tried the Plantation over proof in the pub and loved that too.

Poor selection locally so would buy online. Budget up to maybe 70 euro or there about.

Advertisement