Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats in store this coming year?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

OECD says that apart from Argentina and the UK things should be back track by the end of 2021.

Oh dear..and we all know what happened last time Argentina wanted to take attention away from their stagnating economy. The UK might appreciate the distraction this time, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    CBDC's (Central Bank Digital Currencies) will become more mainstream. China are already trialing a Digital Yuan as are other countries. Money is set to change drastically in this decade including our very own Euro.

Bitcoin and other digital privacy coins will prove ever more popular, likely surging in price.

And personally I'd love to see the Introduction of a 4 day work week this decade.. some companies already are which is promising.

Technological utopianism is a dangerous lie.

🙈🙉🙊

FGR wrote: »
    Oh dear..and we all know what happened last time Argentina wanted to take attention away from their stagnating economy. The UK might appreciate the distraction this time, too.

Hyperinflation, not to mention the €80billion hole thats left in the EU's books because the UK were their 2nd largest net contributor.

I see a major recession throughout the world. :D Enjoy your Christmas.

This is my gut feeling, although I'd love to believe otherwise. There are pubs, retailers and restaurants in Ireland that will never open again because of Covid, and the same in the UK except they also have Brexit to worry about, and then so do we.

This last year has been a game changer, and things will never be the same some for better, some for worse. There will definitely be a transitional period post vaccine, where countries and economies try to decide how to resume life.

My cousin is a partner in a GP practice in the south of Ireland. They're preparing for a massive surge in Covid cases come the new year, the likes of which we haven't seen yet.

Another family member working with the HSE is involved in the building of separate pods in A&E departments (not separate Covid wards) throughout the country to cope with the anticipated surge in Covid cases come 2021.

Scaremongering post it may seem, but it certainly has made me think when I was told.

On a lighter note my son had predicted that Man Utd will win the Champions League in 2021👀

I was wondering would this happen. If a person gets vaccinated, does that mean they are no longer a carrier or spreader of Covid19?

I think it is a mistake for people to directly compare the covid19 pandemic with the Sapnish flu, and expect this current wave to be the largest with a follow up small wave, before it eventually burns out.

Are they expecting the surge in 2021 to be caused by the opening up for Christmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was wondering would this happen. If a person gets vaccinated, does that mean they are no longer a carrier or spreader of Covid19?

Yes, if you’re vaccinated, as long as the immune system’s response to the vaccine is sufficient, you would no longer be a carrier or spreader. Your immune system would kill off any virus you did catch before it infects and replicates.

Problem is, there’s not going to be many people vaccinated this side of Christmas. And those that do get it will be the very vulnerable and those caring for them. So the opening up at Christmas has the potential to see an upsurge in January.

As to how that manifests depends really on how people behave during the lifting of restrictions. I guess it would be prudent for the health services to prepare for the worst, although exactly what will happen depends on a lot of factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hopefully normality

Yes, if you’re vaccinated, as long as the immune system’s response to the vaccine is sufficient, you would no longer be a carrier or spreader. Your immune system would kill off any virus you did catch before it infects and replicates. .

No.. Fact is, nobody knows the truth of this because it hasn't been proven. Too many claims of what should happen, and not enough accurate data of what will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

A few more lockdowns probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

More and increasing authoritarianism unless or until people are prepared to repudiate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Threats to food security
    Obesity and diabetes crisis
    Polio
    New Jedward album

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’m not insightful enough to make any real predictions, but I’m hoping for something approaching normality come July/August. All depends on the vaccine rollout, uptake and success.

I’d say some of the worst of the economic damage will be offset by a surge in spending when that occurs - I really don’t think the economic crash of the early 2000s is anything to go by this time, because the causes and circumstances are so, so different. We don’t have a credit crunch this time, we actually have a massive amount of money locked away on deposit.

I do think there will be massive societal changes coming out of this. Working from home is one. My company has already announced an entire WFH scheme for the post-Covid time. It’s voluntary, and they’re keeping the office for those who want to work from there, but they’re shifting to a “work when you want, where you want” model, that will have both advantages and disadvantages to the company and to society at large (assuming this becomes common practice in some sectors).

I also wonder will we see some amount of people continue to use masks in public, even after the widespread threat of Covid 19 is gone. Somewhat similar to some Asian societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes, if you’re vaccinated, as long as the immune system’s response to the vaccine is sufficient, you would no longer be a carrier or spreader. Your immune system would kill off any virus you did catch before it infects and replicates.

Problem is, there’s not going to be many people vaccinated this side of Christmas. And those that do get it will be the very vulnerable and those caring for them. So the opening up at Christmas has the potential to see an upsurge in January.

As to how that manifests depends really on how people behave during the lifting of restrictions. I guess it would be prudent for the health services to prepare for the worst, although exactly what will happen depends on a lot of factors.

I think the upsurge in cases in January will be significant unfortunately.

With the combination of a vaccine imminent and Christmas on our doorstep and people fed up...significant number of peoples psychological setup and mindsets will be in a kind of “fûck it, I’ll do what I want, I’m sick of this shît I’ll do what I want and fûck everyone else” mindset.... .... which is a pity, as we are approaching the final stretch, the end is in sight if people just resisted that selfish inclination... keep people alive and well and stress and pressures off our Heath system and employees who have been through the ringer already.

Out shopping it’s been quite notable this is happening already. A lot of thoughtless and careless behavior.

We could be in for a challenging 3-4 months.

By the latter part of the summer it will be party time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

The description for the 2021 Old Moores Almanac says 'Our psychic talks about predicting the pandemic'. That seems to imply there was a prediction of it in the 2020 edition. I wonder was that the case.

oldmooresalmanac com/product/buy-old-moores-almanac
    The 2021 edition of The Genuine Irish Old Moore’s Almanac features its usual mix of scarily accurate predictions and thought-provoking articles. Our psychic talks about predicting the pandemic and what it’s like to have the gift of sight. Plus, we interview the Irish artist who created the world-famous Che Guevara poster. We’re also looking back at our Celtic heritage in two special features. The first of these recalls the ancient Irish Olympics while the second explores the marvellous stories told by our ancestors about their gods. Lots more besides, including the spread of Irish dancing across the globe, the ancient art of dowsing, straw bale gardening and horoscopes for the year ahead. And, of course, we have no doubt that our psychic’s 2021 predictions will be as remarkable as ever.

The description for the 2021 Old Moores Almanac says 'Our psychic talks about predicting the pandemic'. That seems to imply there was a prediction of it in the 2020 edition. I wonder was that the case.

oldmooresalmanac com/product/buy-old-moores-almanac
    The 2021 edition of The Genuine Irish Old Moore’s Almanac features its usual mix of scarily accurate predictions and thought-provoking articles. Our psychic talks about predicting the pandemic and what it’s like to have the gift of sight. Plus, we interview the Irish artist who created the world-famous Che Guevara poster. We’re also looking back at our Celtic heritage in two special features. The first of these recalls the ancient Irish Olympics while the second explores the marvellous stories told by our ancestors about their gods. Lots more besides, including the spread of Irish dancing across the globe, the ancient art of dowsing, straw bale gardening and horoscopes for the year ahead. And, of course, we have no doubt that our psychic’s 2021 predictions will be as remarkable as ever.

Any mention of a no-deal Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I really, REALLY want to know what whiskey_galore thinks is in store.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111747266#post111747266

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

seamus wrote: »

Good call there whiskey!

Got any lucky numbers for tonight do you?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

There was a prediction of a pandemic on the 2019 Almanac, November page I think. Parents had a copy and we were looking at it a few months ago. I haven't seen the 2020 edition myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

Aglomerado wrote: »
    There was a prediction of a pandemic on the 2019 Almanac, November page I think. Parents had a copy and we were looking at it a few months ago. I haven't seen the 2020 edition myself.

That's interesting, I did wonder about that. In 2018, Nationwide had a programme about the 100th anniversary of the Spanish Flu, and one of the people interviewed said that there will be another pandemic in the years to come, not that there "may be", but that there "will be". Also there was the 2011 film, Contagion.

When I was young my grandparents used to have Old Moores Almanac. I remember reading the predictions in the new editions and wondering if any of them would be right, but I never remember looking back at any old editions to see if they were accurate. Maybe they were already thrown out during the year.

seamus wrote: »

That whiskey is giving him a powerful insight!

• Advertisement
Advertisement