Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No public enquiry in Pat Finucane Murder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/UTVNews/status/1333465804726145024

Absolutely shocking that will not go ahead, I bet we won't see much protest from Leo or Micheal about this. Too busy with with their outrage over a tweet:(

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2020/1130/1181310-finucane-murder/

"Taoiseach Micheál Martin said he was disappointed that the British government has not committed to holding a public inquiry, as agreed between the British and Irish governments in 2001."

Think Micheal just called them out over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2020/1130/1181310-finucane-murder/

"Taoiseach Micheál Martin said he was disappointed that the British government has not committed to holding a public inquiry, as agreed between the British and Irish governments in 2001."

Think Micheal just called them out over it.

'Disappointed'???

I was 'disappointed' we played badly in the second half of the rugby on Sunday.

Just the same limp response we have come to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Any statement from Drew Harris on it? I'm sure he has lots of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

smurgen wrote: »
    Any statement from Drew Harris on it? I'm sure he has lots of info.
    Ah get over it , if he lived by the sword be prepared to die by the sword . Provos crying foul when one of their own shot but no problem blowing up innocent children . No inquiry needed here ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

It was a dirty war and he was fair game. He knew the risks defending IRA
    People who were informers or suspected informers were got rid of by the IRA. Workmen civilian staff and so on who worked on British bases were targetted.
    Partime UDR and RUC members were attacked off duty and pubs where British soldiers drank were bombed as were commercial properties and businesses vital to the Northern Ireland economy.
    The IRA tried to take out Thatcher and her cabinet in Brighton and mortared Major in No 10. Mountbatten was sympathetic to Irish unity but was killed because he was a Royal.
    A BBC tv presenter who offered an award to anyone who ratted on IRA gunman and bombers on the loose in the UK in the 1970s was shot on his doorstep.
    British soldiers who came home in bodybags and IRA members killed in shoot to kill operations knew the risks.
    The IRA figured out if they bombed the financial heart of London they could make more of an impact than any mortars or bombs or gun attacks in Northern Ireland.
    So Finucane was fair game.

• Advertisement

People who were informers or suspected informers were got rid of by the IRA. Workmen civilian staff and so on who worked on British bases were targetted.
    Partime UDR and RUC members were attacked off duty and pubs where British soldiers drank were bombed as were commercial properties and businesses vital to the Northern Ireland economy.
    The IRA tried to take out Thatcher and her cabinet in Brighton and mortared Major in No 10. Mountbatten was sympathetic to Irish unity but was killed because he was a Royal.
    A BBC tv presenter who offered an award to anyone who ratted on IRA gunman and bombers on the loose in the UK in the 1970s was shot on his doorstep.
    British soldiers who came home in bodybags and IRA members killed in shoot to kill operations knew the risks.
    The IRA figured out if they bombed the financial heart of London they could make more of an impact than any mortars or bombs or gun attacks in Northern Ireland.

That’s it in a nutshell. But provos don’t think their guys and gals deserve to be killed in a dirty war ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

It is incredibly unsurprising that the same people who describe a solicitor as a, 'legitimate target' are the first to get outraged when the same term is used to describe British soldiers who were actually confirmed combatants.

Whatever the wrongs of the PIRA, and there were many, we should be able to expect a higher standard from a government of a first world country.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Charlie Bucket

Ah live and let live and let bygones be bygones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    It is incredibly unsurprising that the same people who describe a solicitor as a, 'legitimate target' are the first to get outraged when the same term is used to describe British soldiers who were actually confirmed combatants.

Whatever the wrongs of the PIRA, and there were many, we should be able to expect a higher standard from a government of a first world country.
    Legitimises terrorism when you lump them all in together

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i think its pretty obvious from the kind of replies that to some the british government just cant do anything bad. the usual rubbish from the usual suspects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I fully agree here Fionn. You can call out the hypocrisy here in the way the same cohort rush to the high moral ground while still believing what happened at Narrow Water was wrong and regrettable, as all the violence was from the start.
    And of course the state have to be held to higher account. A basic principle of any upstanding democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

completely misses the point

the scandal of the Finucane murder was the collusion between loyalists and the state

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

Both the RUC and a British government inquiry concluded he wasn't a member of the IRA. He also had a record of defending Loyalist paramilitary members.

The above post is rather silly. If you're so concerned about the ethics of a dirty war, perhaps you should be a bit more exercised about state collusion in the execution of solicitors doing their job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

The only people upset are the naive.

The British soldiers who died were fighting a war and that was that. Part of the job.

If Finucane didn't know he risked being targetted for death he was an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

The only people upset are the naive.

The British soldiers who died were fighting a war and that was that. Part of the job.

If Finucane didn't know he risked being targetted for death he was an idiot.

the brits and the ruc got way better money than ira volunteers too. I'd say he knew he was a target - the point is he was a solicitor - not a soldier or volunteer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

There is something different though when a lawyer is targeted for doing his job and not only that targeted with the assistance of the security forces because that is what makes it particularly heinous

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

costacorta wrote: »
    Ah get over it , if he lived by the sword be prepared to die by the sword . Provos crying foul when one of their own shot but no problem blowing up innocent children . No inquiry needed here ..

What sword did Pat Finnucane live by?

He was murdered in front of his family because he was a lawyer who represented republicans (and his firm represented loyalists also), not because "he lived by a sword"

Forgive me for saying so, but I don't believe you have a scaldy balls notion about what you're posting about tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Pathetic decision by the British Govt, could they not have the honourable thing and hold an enquiry for the sake of wife and children.

McMurphy wrote: »
    What sword did Pat Finnucane live by?

He was murdered in front of his family because he was a lawyer who represented republicans (and his firm represented loyalists also), not because "he lived by a sword"

Forgive me for saying so, but I don't believe you have a scaldy balls notion about what you're posting about tbh.

Ah one of your comrades was shot and you don’t like it . Maybe you don’t have a clue what it’s all about . Constantly throwing up silly Leo tweets and thinking SF are super duper. Get a life man and don’t be acting the big republican . All just a bunch of terrorists who cry out when their scum are shot and celebrate when they blow up children. See it’s you that haven’t a clue .. now back to your Twitter and the village for you ..

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Ah one of your comrades was shot and you don’t like it . Maybe you don’t have a clue what it’s all about . Constantly throwing up silly Leo tweets and thinking SF are super duper. Get a life man and don’t be acting the big republican . All just a bunch of terrorists who cry out when their scum are shot and celebrate when they blow up children. See it’s you that haven’t a clue .. now back to your Twitter and the village for you ..
    calling pat finucane scum is pretty low even for some posters. An innocent solicitor doing his job and he's murdered for it and he's the scum.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I asked you to clarify what "sword" Pat Finnucane lived by?

I repeat, he was murdered for no other reason than he worked as a lawyer and defended republicans in court, and he was murdered for that (as was Rosemary Nelson afterwards)

You posted an absolutely ridiculous/disgraceful comment where you suggested Finnucane deserved to die because he worked as a lawyer and represented some republicans, I don't know about you, but I'd not be comfortable living in a state where you can't get legal defence because of your political beliefs, or actions, and similarly you might pay with your life as a lawyer for offering the same.

Listen, you made a stupid post and I called you out on it, the follow up looks even more stupid in that context.

Might be as well just not posting about stuff you know the square root of fcuk all about tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

https://twitter.com/JohnODowdSF/status/1333522594386087936

Typical behaviour up there, yet you never hear any outrage from ffg, yet they will commemorate the tans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I don't believe an inquiry commissioned by the UK government would be allowed to get to anything like the truth. So, I actually welcome the decision. There is no point in setting up pretendy inquiries.

Their push-back on setting up on inquiry, by contrast to, say, Bloody Sunday, suggests that the collusion extended to much more senior on the food chain than has been hitherto acknowledged. That's what they don't want coming out and in my view is the logical conclusion. With Bloody Sunday - much as I condemn it - they were able to attempt to pin the blame on a few individual grunts on the ground. Obviously, with the Finucane murder, they must run the risk of opening a huge can of worms if they were to look into it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    calling pat finucane scum is pretty low even for some posters. An innocent solicitor doing his job and he's murdered for it and he's the scum.

There's an extreme right loyalist Irish-hating element on this website. They hate Irish nationhood, hate Irish people and love the Crown - failing to realise that the British establishment doesn't give a tuppeny happeny damn about them, viewing them as pathetic fodder. Which they are. It's plain weird, that self-hatred, a form of mental illness. Their spiritual heroes are the likes of Conor Cruise O'Brien and his ilk. I was reluctant to even click on the thread. Actually, having read it, it's not as bad as I feared.

Sorry, I asked you to clarify what "sword" Pat Finnucane lived by?

I repeat, he was murdered for no other reason than he worked as a lawyer and defended republicans in court, and he was murdered for that (as was Rosemary Nelson afterwards)

You posted an absolutely ridiculous/disgraceful comment where you suggested Finnucane deserved to die because he worked as a lawyer and represented some republicans, I don't know about you, but I'd not be comfortable living in a state where you can't get legal defence because of your political beliefs, or actions, and similarly you might pay with your life as a lawyer for offering the same.

Listen, you made a stupid post and I called you out on it, the follow up looks even more stupid in that context.

Might be as well just not posting about stuff you know the square root of fcuk all about tbh.

And you’re the expert on everything?in you own provo head maybe !As pointed out in another post Finucane was as much a target as a prison officer, or any other innocent victims murdered by your scummy friends . He was a well known republican but you will deny that like you deny Gerry was in the IRA as well . Maybe you need to take a break from posting 24/7 and go enjoy the good things in life rather than posting tripe day in day out ..Maybe have an inquiry to find out where ye buried jean Mc Conville ? Eh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

And you’re the expert on everything?in you own provo head maybe !As pointed out in another post Finucane was as much a target as a prison officer, or any other innocent victims murdered by your scummy friends . He was a well known republican but you will deny that like you deny Gerry was in the IRA as well . Maybe you need to take a break from posting 24/7 and go enjoy the good things in life rather than posting tripe day in day out ..Maybe have an inquiry to find out where ye buried jean Mc Conville ? Eh

Are you a UDA or UVF supporter?

smurgen wrote: »
    Are you a UDA or UVF supporter?

Are you an IRA supporter ?

And you’re the expert on everything?in you own provo head maybe !As pointed out in another post Finucane was as much a target as a prison officer, or any other innocent victims murderedby your scummy friends . He was a well known republican but you will deny that like you deny Gerry was in the IRA as well . Maybe you need to take a break from posting 24/7 and go enjoy the good things in life rather than posting tripe day in day out ..Maybe have an inquiry to find out where ye buried jean Mc Conville ? Eh

I'd stop digging if I were you, now you're implying someone deserves to be murdered because they are a republican?

I'm not, and never have, nor would I ever lower myself to try and justify a prison officers death the way you have with Finnucane, similarly I would never lower myself to refer to them as "scum" like you did with Finnucane.
    All just a bunch of terrorists who cry out when their scum are shot

Are you referring to Finnucane as "scum" because he was from a republican family, or because he had represented republicans (his firm had represented loyalists also), or is it because his son grew up to become a lawyer too like his murdered father, and simultaneously a Sinn Fein MP?

Personally, I think your remarks are disgusting and you should take a long hard think about yourself.

I'd stop digging if I were you, now you're implying someone deserves to be murdered because they are a republican?

I'm not, and never have, nor would I ever lower myself to try and justify a prison officers death the way you have with Finnucane, similarly I would never lower myself to refer to them as "scum" like you did with Finnucane. .

Are you referring to Finnucane as "scum" because he was from a republican family, or because he had represented republicans (his firm had represented loyalists also), or is it because his son grew up to become a lawyer too!! like his murdered father, and simultaneously a Sinn Fein MP?

Personally, I think your remarks are disgusting and you should take a long hard think about yourself.

I never called pat finucane scum !! I said IRA always crying foul when one of their Scum are shot . I stand over calling any IRA person scum and for that matter any other terrorist organisations Scum as well .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭downcow

votecounts wrote: »
    Pathetic decision by the British Govt, could they not have the honourable thing and hold an enquiry for the sake of wife and children.

Have you any idea whatsoever how an inquiry into this individual would be rubbing salt in the wounds of all those who have been murdered and no inquiry.
    People were targeted for delivering milk to a police station. What’s the difference on a lawyer defending terrorists.
    State agents were numerous in the ira killing many people simply because they were Protestant or served a police officer in a shop.
    In addition we have a current member of the NI executive who killed, tortured and organised terrorism yet no inquiry into him.
    People need to wise up singling out a middle class lawyer for special attention

Advertisement