Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immortals Fenyx Rising

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dcully wrote: »
    Okay ive put a little more time into this on PC and its one of them games that just has some magical gameplay that makes it a joy to play.

This. Immortals doesn't do anything new, but what it does it makes it fun to do. Some people will think it's too easy, but sometimes you just need an enjoyable game, and this is it.

I'm near the end now, and I'm still mad to keep playing it. I can see myself purchasing the season pass at some stage. I also believe they now have a new series to continually pump games from, and that won't necessarily be a bad thing for a few years at least.

Definite recommend from me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This. Immortals doesn't do anything new, but what it does it makes it fun to do. Some people will think it's too easy, but sometimes you just need an enjoyable game, and this is it.

I'm near the end now, and I'm still mad to keep playing it. I can see myself purchasing the season pass at some stage. I also believe they now have a new series to continually pump games from, and that won't necessarily be a bad thing for a few years at least.

Definite recommend from me.

It has a NG+ i believe? Also heard rumours of new zone coming in DLC, this could very well be their new baby, its doing better than most games this year in terms of reviews.
    I'll save this gem for game pass :-)

Is it coming to game pass?
    I wonder will saves be saved? should be as its our uplay account.

Dlc is now developed along with the main game on AAA titles so no surprise that details are being released

As the main game is lengthy and fun wouldn't have a big problem with that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That DLC looks decent enough.

Based on reviews I've watched and the comments on here, I went ahead and signed up to Ubisoft+ for a month to play this. Looking forward to getting stuck in over the wkend. One question, is there a
    snow
    area in the main game itself? Looks like there is in the DLC anyway.

Right this is definitely a contender for my GOTY, i tried going back to valhalla since i got uplay+ for both and its so boring compared to this.
    HADES and MSFS2020 were also supremely enjoyable for me but i think Immortals just takes it, its amazing more are not picking up on the game.

Summed up well here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Right this is definitely a contender for my GOTY, i tried going back to valhalla since i got uplay+ for both and its so boring compared to this.
    HADES and MSFS2020 were also supremely enjoyable for me but i think Immortals just takes it, its amazing more are not picking up on the game.

Summed up well here

It's probably because it's been seen as the poor relation of BOTW and not getting the same publicity as AC Valhalla. Plus maybe open world game fatigue. I'd love to play it but I think I'd be comparing it to BOTW and I just don't have the time for it at the moment. Will get it in a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Summed up well here

Its next on my list!

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    It's probably because it's been seen as the poor relation of BOTW and not getting the same publicity as AC Valhalla. Plus maybe open world game fatigue. I'd love to play it but I think I'd be comparing it to BOTW and I just don't have the time for it at the moment. Will get it in a sale.

I've played BOTW and IFR is better in some ways actually imo - e.g. the weapons and upgrade system whilst pretty simple is good.

the puzzle vaults may even be better in some respects.

As whole BOTW is the better game yes I suppose.

While playing it you enjoy it I would say - won't be thinking about BOTW!

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That DLC looks decent enough.

Based on reviews I've watched and the comments on here, I went ahead and signed up to Ubisoft+ for a month to play this. Looking forward to getting stuck in over the wkend. One question, is there a
    snow
    area in the main game itself? Looks like there is in the DLC anyway.

The DLC looks mad. One with the main character, one with a new character, and the third with another new character and an isometric playstyle. Don't know what to make of it.

And yes, there is, but not until the last area you travel to. I'm only there myself but I'd say you can go back after end game.

@DCully, yeah, I'll have to go back and see what else I've played this year, but this is a very strong contender. It's a shame a lot of people won't play it because of Ubis history of AC clones and Cyberpunk. But this is definitely one of the most enjoyable games of recent memory. Just fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It doesn't look too demanding a game but, just as a matter of interest, what system are you guys playing this on? You've collectedly talked me into picking it up for my time off after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'd say you can go back after end game.
    Not really, it doesn't continue after the end, but you will be told when you're getting to that point and you will be able to load it afterwards. There is no endgame play, you won't be dropped back into the world like nothing happened.

Just found that out! Have to say that was thoroughly enjoyable. As mentioned above, not a terribly difficult game, but each activity is slightly different in some way, so it doesn't get stale. Yet anyway, had a look at the trophies and I'm hoping everything doesn't have to be collected to platinum, as I'm fairly close so might as well go for it. You can master equipment and skills once maxed, so that possibly points towards more collectibles than needed to max.

Good chance I'll get the season pass when it's on sale. And as mentioned, I think there's a franchise here. Maybe that's the intent of the dlc, the second one is Chinese based, and the third isometric, so they're possibly testing the waters for what kind of sequel or spin off.

I reckon it'll be hard going to get into Valhalla after this. Its the same Ubi formula, but IFR is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I gave this a good couple of hours yesterday and I am sold. It's not the prettiest or most original game, even greek mythology has been done to death in every medium, but it is great fun with bitesized puzzles both in the game world and mini dungeons.

The core mechanics are not as refined as zeldas but it definitely has that "I will now go to the mission mark... Wait what is that thing over there" gameplay loop nailed.

I wasn't sure if I liked the humour but it's growing on me. It's a great fun feel-good Christmas time treat. The exact sort of game I love playing this time of the year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I gave this a good couple of hours yesterday and I am sold. It's not the prettiest or most original game, even greek mythology has been done to death in every medium, but it is great fun with bitesized puzzles both in the game world and mini dungeons.

The core mechanics are not as refined as zeldas but it definitely has that "I will now go to the mission mark... Wait what is that thing over there" gameplay loop nailed.

I wasn't sure if I liked the humour but it's growing on me. It's a great fun feel-good Christmas time treat. The exact sort of game I love playing this time of the year.

Said I'd give it a quick go last night after the Joshua fight and it was 3am before I knew it! Really is good fun so far and well worth the Ubisoft+ entrance fee.

Best way i can put it is it feels and plays more gamey than anything ive played this year.
    Is gamey even a word? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Best way i can put it is it feels and plays more gamey than anything ive played this year.
    Is gamey even a word? :P

It's a video game with good gameplay rather than a real life simulator. Sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Played about 90mins so far. Already enjoying it more than Cyberpunk 2077. Seems like a lot of fun, simple enough systems. The environment encourages a bit of exploration. Looking forward to playing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Cordell

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    It doesn't look too demanding a game but, just as a matter of interest, what system are you guys playing this on? You've collectedly talked me into picking it up for my time off after Christmas.

I7 7700 and 2070S, at 1440p keeps a steady 60fps most of the time, with odd dips into 50s. It's less demanding than AC:O but definitely not light.

Really loving this. So hard to drag myself away from just going for one more chest, or another of the challenges. The game plays like a dream, the puzzles are mostly fantastic, and the map is absolutely stunning. Plus I have a pink unicorn so f*ck you.

Managed to take down the legendary boar despite being underlevelled. Mostly cheesed it around a table. Got some parrot thing as a reward. It flashed up for a sec but can't see it in inventory anywhere. I'm guessing I haven't unlocked the ability to equip it.

Even with the minimap full of collectibles etc, you'd completely forget this is a Ubisoft game if not for Hermes yelling at you to buy microtransactions when you go back to the main hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Penn wrote: »

Managed to take down the legendary boar despite being underlevelled. Mostly cheesed it around a table. Got some parrot thing as a reward. It flashed up for a sec but can't see it in inventory anywhere. I'm guessing I haven't unlocked the ability to equip it.

It's a mod for the bird, it's the correct 'phoenix' instead of the silly mispelling they do here and in Gears for main characters.
    Anyway do the first main mission to Aphrodite, you'll then see a flash in the distance and get a new side mission. Do the first 2 stages - the first to see what it is and the second to activate it (the second will send you into a high level area but you don't need to engage anything, just run in and grab what you need) . The phoenix adds a very useful god-power to your arsenal - to the point where some vaults cannot be completed without it.

This game took me a while to warm to, the prologue is far too long leaving the potential for a few hours play if you like to explore without being able to level up at all. After I'd say 2-3 hours I started to like it a lot more but now after 15 I'm getting a bit bored. That said after all that time I am only at the second true (post prologue) area so I spent a lot of time doing pretty much everything in the earlier spots which may have led to the fatigue. So without disliking any part I just don't feel that urge to rush back in, I've a feeling it's something I'll play in spurts over the next month or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I realised today why I am enjoying this much more than other open world's such as assassins creed, red dead or gta.

In immortals, you explore, discover and find tasks. Those tasks are contained in the area you are in, unlike the missions in the others where you travel to a marker to talk to someone. The mission starts and you are made travel another considerable distance to reach the fun bit.

The fact that everything here is immediate when you hit the point of interest, makes it much more compulsive to continue, find another point and gain the satisfaction instead of a 10 minute mission with 5 minutes of filler travel.

Really loving this. So hard to drag myself away from just going for one more chest, or another of the challenges. The game plays like a dream, the puzzles are mostly fantastic, and the map is absolutely stunning. Plus I have a pink unicorn so f*ck you.

Even with the minimap full of collectibles etc, you'd completely forget this is a Ubisoft game if not for Hermes yelling at you to buy microtransactions when you go back to the main hub.

sounds like you didn't get Phosphor the bird yet?

glasso wrote: »
    sounds like you didn't get Phosphor the bird yet?

No, and just beat another legendary boss (the rooster) and got a similar reward, so I guess I'll be able to use or equip those with a few more story missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

No, and just beat another legendary boss (the rooster) and got a similar reward, so I guess I'll be able to use or equip those with a few more story missions.

The bird is like the 2nd mission after you meet Aprodite, you will see something like a meteor hit the ground and the mission is to investigate it. You should do that.

Finishing up post game, and the grind is getting to me. While all the vaults and puzzles are still different, it's starting to feel samey. But, I'm still playing this than continuing in Days Gone, so that speaks more to me as to how good this game is, or how bad Days Gone is.

I am close to the plat though. Seems you'll need to get every epic or guarded chest to plat, and most of the unguarded chests to get enough amber to upgrade the potions fully. But you definitely don't need all the ambrosia.

So a few vaults, a few chests, a handful of myths and find the rest of the mounts, I should be done.

Edit: I miscalculated. There's loads of mounts to collect (something like 27 of them), there are 10 Legendary Monsters needed for a heroic task and I have 9 done, but can I find a guide? Not a hope, most are as of yet unfinished and contain only some of them. Fairness to psntrophies, it helped me find the last of the myth challenges, and it is quite detailed for the mounts, wings and Phosphors, but doesn't detail the 10 legendary monsters.

Which brings me to an actual complaint about the game, there's no way to see what you've done/collected so far, so it makes it very hard to figure out what you've done over the last (checks stats) 57 hours. It's definitely not taking away from the enjoyment I got from the game, but this will definitely turn people off completing it 100%. Still... i'm determined!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm really liking this but my game has crashed more times than Cyberpunk, which was returned this weekend.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm really liking this but my game has crashed more times than Cyberpunk, which was returned this weekend.

Really? I'm 20+ hours in and only had one crash.

I'm still loving the game too. Still not tired of the collect-a-thon-ing because there's almost always enemies at each location to make it a bit more interesting. Have done almost everything in Aphrodite and Athena's areas (bar some things I don't have certain skills for), working my way through Ares' zone now.

The biggest issue I have is healing. Pomegranates seem to be the rarest of the consumables to find, and its a nuisance going shaking trees. Plus the actual healing can be flimsy because if you press the left button just a little bit too long it registers as neither a potion nor a single pomegranate.

The puzzles and vaults keep things interesting too. Some tricky enough puzzles, especially when trying to get chests too.

Almost feel like I might soon get to the stage where I'll see if I can drop the difficulty down just to blast through the rest of the game though. Still a hell of a lot of map left in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah I've had 4 or 5 crashes and am not as far, it's not a reflection on the gameplay but it sure is annoying. other peeves
    - trying to pick up a flower and my horse appears
    - trying to highlight things with the far sight and miss the prompt, hover back and it's gone
    - jumping puzzles (I was thinking of this the other day and was going to make a thread about least favourite things in games but couldn't get past jumping puzzles)
    - prompts to go back to the hall of gods to upgrade your stuff
    - jumping puzzles

I really like it though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

reduced to €41.99 on Irish PSN store now

• Advertisement

No crashes at all this end, im on PC.

Advertisement