Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

RasTa wrote: »
    Ordered 5 items from Amazon.co.uk yesterday. 2 just delivered now, 1 tomorrow and the final 2 it says Tuesday. Seems strange way of doing things

They don't all necessarily come out of one warehouse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Ordered something last week on amazon.co.uk, got email to say it's been shipped, so checked the tracking and it's being shipped from Germany.

Ordered the same thing about a month ago and it shipped from the UK.

I wonder can we still order on the UK Amazon and get shipping from Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Even paying all the extra taxes it will still be cheaper to buy items from Amazon.uk than buy off Irish sites.

Whatever about paying more taxes, as long as they are going into Irish Government coffers fair enough, but not if they are lining the coffers of Oliver Cromwell's descendants.
    As for Irish sites, why not shop local, bricks and mortar.?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Several of the items dispatched today and due in the new year are being sent from Poland. I wonder is that a way to get around the customs fee or will they still be charged as they were bought off the UK site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

How is AnPost so quick for Amazon? Shipped Saturday and arrived this morning at 9... ordered from Dundrum and took a week.

• Advertisement

Over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    How is AnPost so quick for Amazon? Shipped Saturday and arrived this morning at 9... ordered from Dundrum and took a week.

Some popular items are held in the new small warehouse in Dublin.

harmless wrote: »
    Some popular items are held in the new small warehouse in Dublin.

There were 2 hard to get toys. Not popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

You sure it was An Post? All deliveries in Dublin are by Amazon Logistics now who are very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Over priced.

What about supporting local businesses and their employees?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

VG31 wrote: »
    You sure it was An Post? All deliveries in Dublin are by Amazon Logistics now who are very fast.

Yes I'm not in Dublin.

What about supporting local businesses and their employees?

Up my salary a good bit and I will. Sorry but I'm saving money shopping elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Whatever about paying more taxes, as long as they are going into Irish Government coffers fair enough, but not if they are lining the coffers of Oliver Cromwell's descendants.

Good lord above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Can anyone tell me if i order something from a uk online store before the 1st of January and it isn't shipped until after the 1st of January, will i get hit with customs and import? I would assume that as i bought before the deadline id be exempt but who the hell knows at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

Can anyone tell me if i order something from a uk online store before the 1st of January and it isn't shipped until after the 1st of January, will i get hit with customs and import? I would assume that as i bought before the deadline id be exempt but who the hell knows at this stage.

Who does the store collect VAT for?

If the VAT you payed goes to the UK then you will still owe VAT when it enters the EU.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115660066&postcount=141

whiterebel wrote: »

Thank you, what a disaster, herself got me vouchers for a store in the uk as a Christmas gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Just cancelled my Amazon prime membership, it was due to renew on 26th. I don't see the point now and don't see the point in signing up for prime on the EU stores as it doesn't give free shipping

I'm going to cancel too. But I'm ok a yearly rate only 6 months in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Thank you, what a disaster, herself got me vouchers for a store in the uk as a Christmas gift.

Did she buy them back in 2019? No real excuse for not knowing Brexit is happening at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

She'd be getting a good telling off...!

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Did she buy them back in 2019? No real excuse for not knowing Brexit is happening at this stage.

To be fair Brexit and its intricacies have hardly been clear cut, can anyone tell me how to calculate the additional charge on an item from the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Depends on the price and the item. And if the seller will deduct UK VAT and charge Irish VAT and pay this to the Irish Government.

I don't think much changes with Amazon on lower priced items so I'll keep Prime for now.

I just ordered something for €255 off Amazon (support local it's €380!) and it'll be here on the 28th haha, just before the customs ****e starts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wheety wrote: »
    Depends on the price and the item. And if the seller will deduct UK VAT and charge Irish VAT and pay this to the Irish Government.

Amazon UK have been paying Irish VAT since the start; once you sell over a certain amount (70k comes to mind and I'm not bothering checking...) cross-border within the EU you have to pay the local authorities

So that bit won't change pricing, customs duties are the bit that will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

L1011 wrote: »
    Amazon UK have been paying Irish VAT since the start; once you sell over a certain amount (70k comes to mind and I'm not bothering checking...) cross-border within the EU you have to pay the local authorities

So that bit won't change pricing, customs duties are the bit that will.

Threshold for cross border VAT is €35,000 for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I just ordered something for €255 off Amazon (support local it's €380!) and it'll be here on the 28th haha, just before the customs ****e starts.

Have you not seen the state of the ports? You’d be doing very well to get it on 28th unless it comes from the rathcoole distribution centre

Have you not seen the state of the ports? You’d be doing very well to get it on 28th unless it comes from the rathcoole distribution centre

Got a package yesterday I ordered on Friday, shipped Saturday. :) My Dad got two packages also yesterday he ordered Friday.

Just to let you know that shipped yesterday from Madrid, just got delivered today, what a Christmas miracle. :D

2p6llfHhttps://imgur.com/2p6llfH

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

Just purchased a few items from Amazon UK, no import charging at the checkout, on the other hand, eBay has already introduced the import charges. Why the eBay is doing this before 1st of January?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

gally74 wrote: »
    I'm going to cancel too. But I'm ok a yearly rate only 6 months in

i keep it for the music and the movies

Advertisement