Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

ELM327 wrote: »
    We've had a mix (amazon own staff vs an post) but there were deliveries yesterday from An post. Strange for a bank holiday!

An Post have delivered on the last three bank holidays.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I haven't had AnPost deliver anything from Amazon to me since December. It's all Amazon themselves now.

Greater Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,371 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Greater Dublin area?
    We get Amazon staff delivering to us in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Greater Dublin area?

South Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

We had two boxes from Amazon delivered by AnPost this morning in the South West.
    Only order the other day & supposed to be delivered next Thursday.
    Amazon flying it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

Interesting to see Irish customers being prodded to visit amazon.nl now with a big homepage banner.

I wonder is it because the cost per shipment is lower post-Brexit. I'm ordering everything individually nowadays to keep it under £22 meaning I get Prime deliveries way more often but for items far less valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

atahuapla wrote: »
    Interesting to see Irish customers being prodded to visit amazon.nl now with a big homepage banner.

I wonder is it because the cost per shipment is lower post-Brexit. I'm ordering everything individually nowadays to keep it under £22 meaning I get Prime deliveries way more often but for items far less valuable.

Amazon.nl is a waste of time IMO. When I go into products, most are unavailable. Its probably coz of my Irish address..:confused::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

atahuapla wrote: »
    I'm ordering everything individually nowadays to keep it under £22 meaning I get Prime deliveries way more often but for items far less valuable.

There's ~12 weeks left on that, this would be part of why they'll be guiding people to EU sites.

L1011 wrote: »
    There's ~12 weeks left on that, this would be part of why they'll be guiding people to EU sites.

The postage cost is going to be a significant hurdle to that. Also product availability to Irl addresses..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Just a warning to everyone that the AddressScalp fee of €6.50 is counted in the €22 threshold for VAT charges.

I got a nice fat charge of €5.75 VAT + an "An Post Fee" of €3.50 on top of the €6.50 delivery charge on an item that cost £16.12.

Total cost of item that would have cost 16.12 before xmas = €34.35

Boo hoo poor An Post - Everybody sending emails means nobody buys stamps anymore so now we have no money to keep our branches open...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're blaming An Post for Revenue rules there.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Just a warning to everyone that the AddressScalp fee of €6.50 is counted in the €22 threshold for VAT charges.

I got a nice fat charge of €5.75 VAT + an "An Post Fee" of €3.50 on top of the €6.50 delivery charge on an item that cost £16.12.

Boo hoo poor An Post - Everybody sending emails means nobody buys stamps anymore so now we have no money to keep our branches open...

Firstly it's fairly well known that customs charges or VAT include all costs of delivery.
    Secondly it's Revenue who are charging you and An Post are possibly the cheaper handling fee for collecting in behalf of Revenue,

You bought in the UK with delivery to a UK address, so had to pay UK VAT. You then increased to cost of the item at entry into Ireland by paying to have it imported from the UK to Ireland, thus incurring Irish VAT.
    Just get it sent here and save on UK vat plus handling fees.

But don't blame An Post, as all handlers would have charged you and probably with bigger handling fee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bfa1509 wrote: »

Same for every single import from outside the EU with every courier/fowarder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Any suggestions of how to buy a product on amazon uk that don't deliver to ROI? We used get it through parcel motel to NI and then to a PM locker in Dublin but afaik that service has stopped.

No issue with paying any import taxes/vat etc, its for a product made by UK company and only available in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Any suggestions of how to buy a product on amazon uk that don't deliver to ROI? We used get it through parcel motel to NI and then to a PM locker in Dublin but afaik that service has stopped.

No issue with paying any import taxes/vat etc, its for a product made by UK company and only available in UK.

I had no luck with this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Addresspal is still working. Just expensive in terms of paying UK VAT plus Irish VAT plus their charges

Caranica wrote: »
    Addresspal is still working. Just expensive in terms of paying UK VAT plus Irish VAT plus their charges

I find that AddressPal only really is of value to me for cheap **** bought off e-Bay. I haven't found any situation where it makes sense to use it for anything else, other than the situation outlined 3 posts back (eg Amazon Fire TV stick).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I find that AddressPal only really is of value to me for cheap **** bought off e-Bay. I haven't found any situation where it makes sense to use it for anything else, other than the situation outlined 3 posts back (eg Amazon Fire TV stick).

I was answering that post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

AdressPal, but make sure you use the correct address/user ID

Poncke wrote: »
    AdressPal, but make sure you use the correct address/user ID

And allow for UK Vat, addresspal charge, Irish Vat on cost of item plus P&P plus addeesspal fee, and An Post's handling fee for collecting the VAT.

• Advertisement

And allow for UK Vat, addresspal charge, Irish Vat on cost of item plus P&P plus addeesspal fee, and An Post's handling fee for collecting the VAT.

You don't pay VAT twice. Yes, the Addresspal service cost money, do you expect it to be free? And addresspal charge and addresspal fee, is that not the same? And there is a VAT collection fee, correct.

But your efforts to make it all sound very bad have gone over the top and is mainly incorrect.

So what Anpost collect is the following:

Irish VAT if the threshold is met (revenue)
    Addresspal shipping fee (cost for the service)
    Anpost handling fee (admin fee)

I do agree it all adds up but you cant argue with the first two charges, the third charge bothers me, but nothing you can do about it.

Alternatively, dont use the service.

You don't pay VAT twice. Yes, the Addresspal service cost money, do you expect it to be free? And addresspal charge and addresspal fee, is that not the same? And there is a VAT collection fee, correct.

But your efforts to make it all sound very bad have gone over the top and is mainly incorrect.

I do agree it all adds up but you cant argue with the first two charges, the third charge bothers me, but nothing you can do about it.

Using Addresspal you most certainly pay VAT twice. As it is shipped within the UK first you pay UK VAT. On forwarding to Ireland you must then pay Irish VAT if over the very low threshold .

UK VAT + Irish VAT = Twice.

I listed nothing that isn't a charge.

Using Addresspal you most certainly pay VAT twice. As it is shipped within the UK first you pay UK VAT. On forwarding to Ireland you must then pay Irish VAT if over the very low threshold .

UK VAT + Irish VAT = Twice.

I listed nothing that isn't a charge.

Right, correct, what I meant was Anpost doesn't collect UK VAT. Because we were talking about Addresspal.

You listed Adresspal charges twice

Right, correct, what I meant was Anpost doesn't collect UK VAT. Because we were talking about Addresspal.

You listed Adresspal charges twice

Look at the punctuation: It was Irish VAT on the addresspal delivery portion of the total cost of the Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭corkie

You don't pay VAT twice.

If you order something from a UK seller to addresspal, your charged UK Vat in the transaction.

Then when it gets to AP, your charged Irish Vat on top of the whole UK price incl of UK Vat. So your right AP doesn't collect UK Vat, but you have paid for it anyway.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

strangely got an Amazon package delivered by AnPost today. I'd say it's about 6 months now where every package was delivered by Amazon themselves, well ParcelKing.

Made two separate orders on Amazon UK. One was under €22 and the other was over and I paid an Import Fees Deposit. They've dispatched both orders together so I'm not sure if I'm gonna get hit with another charge. Yes I've read the summary. It's like the more I research and study the more confused I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Made two separate orders on Amazon UK. One was under €22 and the other was over and I paid an Import Fees Deposit. They've dispatched both orders together so I'm not sure if I'm gonna get hit with another charge. Yes I've read the summary. It's like the more I research and study the more confused I am.

Nah, you'll be fine. They've shipped loads of small items together for me and I've never been charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Has anyone had to return faulty/broken items to Amazon Uk where "import fees" were charged?
    Did you get a full refund including the import fees ?

Advertisement