Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ever send back crisps or chocolate to companys?.

Options
  • 26-11-2020 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭

reason i asked is cause a friend of mine sent back a bar of cadburys milk chocolate a few yrs ago and received like a mini chocolate hamper box,reason she sent back was chocolate was out of date.

also another friend sent back a box of lyons tea bags where a lot of the tea bags were burst,she got a voucher in reurn lol.

anyone else had any experience of similar?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Bought a Hershey's bar once and half the bar was missing inside the sealed wrapper. Sent them an email and a pic and they asked for my address and sent a big box of various chocolate bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

We had a van driver for a particular company almost run us over incl baby in buggy.
    Wrote to the company, and they apologized and sent a large box of crisps and a hugh box of chocolates.
    We were eating them for weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Many moons ago a young 46 Long sent a letter of complaint to Gallaher's Tobacco Ltd. claiming that my ten-box of Benson & Hedges Special Filter contained in fact, only nine Benson & Hedges Special Filters.

A week or two went by before a polite lady wrote back to me with an apology, thanking me for my continued patronage of their fine tobacco products and including three aromatic 20 boxes of Benson and Hedges's finest cancer sticks.

I don't need to tell you who the hero was behind the bicycle sheds on that glorious day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Many years back one of the girls in my home village wrote a letter of complaint to Cadbury's about some confection or other she purchased.

As above she received a large hamper of chocolate bars.

Queue a stampede of all her friends writing fraudulent letters to the same company.

The avalanche of complaints, all from females with children's hand writing, and all from the same one-horse-town in the middle of nowhere, set off alarm bells in the Coolock office of Cadbury's.

They put their finest gumshoe on the job. Through their distribution network he was able to contact the local newsagent.

The merchant spoke to the girls parents and all Hell broke loose.

Between arses being leathered the girls all had to write letters of apology.

Oh how us boys laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Almost every time we got a delivery of crisps into the shop there would be one bag light or sometimes even empty. We would take it in turns to send it back and get sent multiple bags in return.

Coca Cola had various prizes (usually a free bottle of coke) where the prize (if you had won) was printed on the inside of the plastic label. We would remove the labels to find the winner.

Also remember Walkers put actual ten pound notes in little plastic containers inside their crisps as a prize. There was so much feeling around of those bags that it'd be like a bag of sawdust by the time it got to the customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

who remembers the perry,s crisps back in the late 80,s early 90,s where if you bought a bag there could be a token inside for a free bag.them were the days lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

46 Long wrote: »

I don't need to tell you who the hero was behind the bicycle sheds on that glorious day.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Never did it myself, but my dad sent an expired bar of Bournville back to Cadbury’s when we were kids, and they sent us a big box of chocolate bars back. You’d be wishing every bar you bought was out of date after that.

My mother once seen a poem in to Tayto, totally unsolicited, (when they had the factory in Coolock), and they sent her a big box of crisps and some t-shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

A few years ago I sent back a can of 'Lilt' as its advertised 'totally tropical taste' didn't quite meet my expectations.
    They sent back 50 new cans, a two-week holiday in a luxury Kingston hotel, plus 10,000 Jamaican dollars spending money.............

........back in Dublin now, of course, looking out the window on this cold grey morning, we can but dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I sent a Galaxy bar back that was gone all white.
    Got a letter back from Mars to explain that it was caused by heat bloom, and it was perfectly safe to eat.
    There was also a £2 voucher for Mars products that I couldn't find a single shop that would accept. I think I still have it somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Sent a dairy milk back years ago as it had turned white. Got a great letter back explaining why it happens (its called a fat bloom and happens with dramatic changes in temperature.. the sweet press was above the oven so made sense)

They also included a heap of chocolate bars to go with the letter. All in all a great experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Sent back an Easter Egg once. It was all gone white and collapsed in on itself, but this was only obvious when it was taken out of the see through plastic, it was a more expensive egg.

Anyway, got a nice letter back saying I should go f*** myself, it was fine leaving the factory.

I cant look at an easter egg now.... :pac::pac::pac:

How do you add smileys on the touch site?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

46 Long wrote: »
    Many moons ago a young 46 Long sent a letter of complaint to Gallaher's Tobacco Ltd. claiming that my ten-box of Benson & Hedges Special Filter contained in fact, only nine Benson & Hedges Special Filters.

A week or two went by before a polite lady wrote back to me with an apology, thanking me for my continued patronage of their fine tobacco products and including three aromatic 20 boxes of Benson and Hedges's finest cancer sticks.

Nothing to do with the blow jobs so

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bought a Hershey's bar once

Someone in work brought some back from the States once, tasted like sick.

But it's supposed to taste like that! :eek:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-4155658/The-real-reason-American-chocolate-tastes-terrible.html
    But why does it taste so terrible? The secret lies with a chemical that is also found in parmesan cheese, rancid butter - and vomit.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Hersheys-chocolate-taste-so-bad?share=1

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I've sent back many things.

Usually at Xmas, we will get a box of Tayto or King crisps. Without fail, one of the packets will be stuck to the tape used to seal up the box. Or Packets will be sealed up together.

First time i did it, i got a massive box of full sized Tayto (the Xmas boxes are usually filled with smaller "multipack" bags). Any time since, its been a voucher.

I send off something to Pot Noodle as well. They had a new Pot Pasta out about 12 months ago, and I found a bone in it. They gave me a generic voucher as well

No. Reported cadbury car with hair in it.got 15 euro voucher for cadbury bars. Local Tesco accepted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭sonyvision

I worked in a news agents during my college years, every 6 months or so you would find a sealed empty bar of choclate full of air. Obviously a fault during packaging.

Anyway sent off the bar in an envelope with my details, 1 week later a full box of the same bar would be sent back (approx 20 - 30 bars).

In the early 90s we bought a six pack of cans of Coke in the weekly shop, a few days later I was just about to open one when I realised it felt very light, compared to the other cans it seemed to be less than half full.

Called up the number on the side of the can, they sent around a guy in a van who took the offending can away and left me with a tray of 24 full cans :)

Obviously you need to have not opened the can for this to work :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

my mum would send anything back that is not right. she sent mouldy cheese back once as the pack wasnt sealed correctly and when she got it home it was all mouldy inside. she often takes meat back to the butcher that she deems as "crap" and would tell him to try eat it himself. she'd send a meal back to the restaurant kitchen if it wasnt to her satisfaction being undercooked. to be fair to her, she works in customer services herself and gets dogs abuse, but she always says how do they know what they need to do better on if no one tells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

Sent a bar back to cadburys about 2 years ago, had bits of plastic in the chocolate. I got around €12 in vouchers to use on Cadbury products

• Advertisement

My family are always at it.

Key wins:

Sister pointed out a spelling on a pack of monster munches years ago. Week or two later big truck pulls up outside with a few boxes.

Sent a box of jellies.The best before dates on the packaging v inner plastic sleeve were about 2 years apart. Got a massive box of jellies back.

Complained about porridge packaging once, got a massive hamper.

Complained about gone off Rancheros, another big box delivered by courier.

Most recent has been a complaint about a price differential between price on pack v price on shelf. Currently f**king myself as suggested by Tesco.

The white chocolate rarely works.

I like to have a bit of craic with the QC dept of the companies, try throw in some humour. Worked in the sector once, people were always complaining about sh1te, kids old wans affected by burnt raisins etc. I used always send a bigger box to the ones that made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I like to have a bit of craic with the QC dept of the companies, try throw in some humour. Worked in the sector once, people were always complaining about sh1te, kids old wans affected by burnt raisins etc. I used always send a bigger box to the ones that made me laugh.

I think this is key. My dad used to write letters of complaint about all kinds of things, but they were always very funny. Any responses he got seemed to appreciate this fact.

I think this is key. My dad used to write letters of complaint about all kinds of things, but they were always very funny. Any responses he got seemed to appreciate this fact.

I've one reply from a company, saying its framed in the QC managers office. Made my day.

Humour is key (when its a quality issue. Food safety is a bit more serious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Complained once about gone off Granby burgers expiring before the date and a man in a Granby van arrived with a box of burgers, sossies and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

When I were a nipper, I bought a Kit-Kat and was horrified to find out that the wafer was missing. It was entirely chocolate instead. I wrote off to them and said I wasnt happy.

A few weeks later, a small box arrived with about 10 Kit-Kats in it. The first one I opened was the same as the one I sent - no wafer. I sent that one back, and complained that like the previous bar, this was waferless too and I couldnt believe I got the same bar again. They sent out less Kit-Kats second time round :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

keano_afc wrote: »
    When I were a nipper, I bought a Kit-Kat and was horrified to find out that the wafer was missing. It was entirely chocolate instead. I wrote off to them and said I wasnt happy.

A few weeks later, a small box arrived with about 10 Kit-Kats in it. The first one I opened was the same as the one I sent - no wafer. I sent that one back, and complained that like the previous bar, this was waferless too and I couldnt believe I got the same bar again. They sent out less Kit-Kats second time round :(

Ya were lucky they didn't send you out a box with just wafers in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

Many years ago my mother opened up a Crunchie to discover a bite had been taken out of it.
    She rang Cadburys and must have had a complete melt down on the phone to customer service that this could have happened. A few days later a massive hamper arrived with all kinds of Cadbury's delights in it. We were all thrilled.

We were talking about it a while back & my younger sister (who was about 8 at the time of the incident) admitted that it was her that had taken the bite but the foil wrapper had resealed itself. We were at school when my mother had rang Cadbury's and she was too afraid to tell her that it was her who was the guilty party........... Still laugh about it :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sent cadburys an email a few years back when I bought a whole but bar that contained 1 nut. Told them if I wanted a dairy milk I'd have bought one.
    They sent me a €5 voucher!!

Hmm so both you and keano got more chocolate than you paid for, but still weren't happy! :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Complained to Kellogs about a box of cereal I got once, I got vouchers posted back that didn't even cover the price of the box of cereal I complained about :D:D

Advertisement