Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

I'd say that you don't have a clue how vaccines work and would doubt your educational attainment in science

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So you've chosen...poorly.

Its the virus or the vaccine at this stage, choosing the first is the mark of a stupid person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

The only different thing about it is it uses a spike protein that attaches to muscle cells, which are broken down. When your immune system recognises it shouldn't be there it goes and attacks it giving you the information on how to fight it. Did I mention previous vaccines??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It is important for society to protect the right in most cases for you to be able to decide what treatments you receive. I think it is unfair to judge someone just because they do not want to be vaccinated.

But, I think it is entirely fair at the same time to place restrictions on what you would normally be free to do, based on your decision not to receive a vaccine, for the common good. Though the chances of you becoming seriously ill are low, the chances of you contracting and then spreading the disease to others who may be vulnerable is higher in unvaccinated. That should/will prevent you from moving around freely.

There is also the consideration of mutation/variation, effectively infected people become incubators for new variants, the more people vaccinated, the less likely new variants will occur. The worst case scenario is that a variant occurs which the vaccine is useless against, if/when that occurs, age/health may be less important.

For now though, your decision, stay well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭bloopy

Getting a vaccine to go to a pub has nothing to do with health.

It is not a good argument and only highlights that that legislation is more about coercion than anything else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's a hint of a tint of the middle aged railing against the stupidity of youth in some of the replies here. Do people remember what it was to be young? I often doubt it, because if they were the OP's age now I'd bet the farm they'd not be swayed by such arguments. Scare mongering doesn't work either. People tend to get more and more risk averse as they age, 20 odd year olds tend to not give a flying one. Scare mongering when the odds of bad outcomes are so low in the under 30's, even the under 40's is even less useful. Plus if I had a tenner for every story of otherwise healthy 20 year old triathletes being reduced to wheelchairs I'd have a fair few quid in the bank. Ditto for the opposite tales of people dropping dead from the vaccines...

I'd be with Dav010's take on this. The vaccines reduce the spread, though sadly less than hoped. That said the main thrust of the vaccine research was to reduce serious illness and deaths and they've most certainly done that. If I were the OP's age now? I'd likely do what I have done; do my own research, weigh up the risks of the vaccines and the risks of catching covid 19 "naturally" and come to the conclusion that yeah chances are extremely high that covid wouldn't do me in, or even hospitalise me, however the vaccines are a far far lower risk of injury and pretty much eliminate my chances of serious illness, long term damage and death, even a sh1tty week or two being laid low with a heavy dose. So I got vaccinated. That's before the wider social ramifications of me infecting someone else who might suffer a worse outcome. Even with my vaccination I'm still practicing some caution, masks in shops and the like, keeping my distance where applicable and being extra careful around the old.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭bloopy

Again. This is another argument that has nothing to do with health concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

"Its not all about you OP"

Kinda like insurance, you don’t need it, until you need it.

• Advertisement

There are health concerns with allowing unvaccinated people into crowded enclosures though. There is no doubt that people are being coerced into getting vaccinated, given the effect Covid has had on people’s lives, it would be negligent of authorities not to do everything in their power to protect as much of the population as possible. But again, the right to refuse should be protected.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Spoke to a friend last night. His younger brother couldn't be bothered getting it. Ended up incredibly ill AND gave it to his vaccinated parents. The friend just has a new baby but thankfully escaped.

Plenty of stories of fit and healthy people in ICU because they thought they didn't need it. Others are being incubated, begging for a vaccine. Too late.

So it's not about being a smart arse, it's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

It's your own decision, but I think people should be aware they can't come crying then later when they are restricted.

I do find it hilarious people talk about the vaccination and pumping your body full of drugs. Yet you will find they have no problem filling themselves with alcohol at very chance, most will use recreational drugs. As soon as they get any sort of pain they take a tablet. People going to gym and then taking substances to help them out.

Etc etc etc. I hate to tell you but every day of the week you are pumping s**t into your body, taking a stand against a vaccination which could save your life seems a bit pointless to me to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭HBC08

No but if that forces a few eejits to get the jab then I think it's a great idea.

A lot of lads with strong views on the vaccine found out their convictions didn't run too deep when their scoops was compromised.

They aren't safe. That's the thing. A 5-minute google will shot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

I haven't got it and probably won't either.

My reasons are my reasons alone.

But everybody is lining up like cattle in a crush for an experiment vaccine just so they can get there freedom back and not having the foresight to see where this road is going.

Cattle in a crush? Hmm. Don't see that. Plenty of people getting it done after weighing up the reasons.

I sincerely hope you don't end up giving it to an elderly relative. That's my big concern with people choosing not to get vaccinated. They'll get it and be ok, but someone close to them catches it and then they die.

Because that's a b*tch to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I have a very very ill relation at home (cancer) at the minute and I just want all this shite ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Your logic is wasted on folk like this, Dudley.

yes of course there are always exceptions and reasons, but some people are just plain contrary, and if those best qualified try to give the best advice they can, these wrongheads will just do the exact opposite.

There are some in every community,Dud, I wouldn’t waste too much time on them.

Freedom alone is worth the price of admission for many, I’m probably going to regret this, where do you see the road going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,704 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A question for all of you who are arguing "get the vaccine" - do you also get the flu vaccine every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I do think it is funny. You see lads standing around "Im not filling my body with that sh**e", then take a pull of his cig and a swing off a can of cheap beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Why are some more nervous of vaccine than covid.

Sure both are low risk but vaccine is by far a lower risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’m with you OP, I won’t be taking it either I’m in my early 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Uhmmmmm …..steady Dudley….quite partial to an odd can or two meself🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

As a guy who lost his sister to Covid 19, her aged 51 and asthmatic, in January.......can I urge everyone to please get vaccinated. She was on the the waiting list for vaccination, but was infected too early. Devastating for us and over 5000 other families in this country. Horrible death, suffocated by your own body. Stop dicking about and be part of the solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Advertisement