Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey aka Predator 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

God damn, some of you people get really, really angry about a woman being the lead in a movie.

With the exception of Predator, pretty much all the other movies have been dreadful.

Eh no, completely rubbish and facile argument.

Alien was absolutely brilliant from the outset as said -precisely because Ripley was a brilliant original character very well executed.

As was the case with Aliens

There was no shoehorning - Ripley was a woman but first foremost just a great character because there was no shoe-horning / throat ramming of some rubbish put to the forefront that ends up with the character itself being a poor background afterthought to fit around that

which has been the case so often, particularly with existing franchises.

That franchise itself is fairly limited in scope also (like Predator) and eventually went downhill but that had absolutely nothing to do with the gender of any protagonists.

Predator was never the best franchise ever to start with yes but some other ones were pretty good before some abject shoe-horn message failures.

The shoe-horning itself does not have to have anything to do with gender at all either as has also been the case - doubly proving the rubbishness of the argument above.

Any messaged shoe-horning is at fault and can encompass a multitude of themes outside of gender. It's the absolutely forced nature of it that does the damage, particularly with existing material with a history where the effect is most obvious and jarring.

Is this shoehorn development going to improve something already not great here - highly doubtful.

I've even seen some posters on boards go to the ultimate extremes and pretend to praise something done this way that was an obvious steaming pile as a result because they had to stick to their guns! Laughable.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"success" here is a total abstract in this instance given it's not getting a cinema release and presumably Hulu/Disney won't release any stats unless it's a barnstorming hit ala Stranger Things for Netflix.

Not that that'll stop the inevitable wielding of rotten tomato scores like they're holy writ.

And yes, this can't be any worse than Shane Black's version TBH. Talk about a huge blemish on an otherwise excellent CV. Pity The Nice Guys failed so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Boy.... And I thought it was about a Predator in , what, 18th C America.

Shows what I know. I mean we never needed a single sequel. I found SOME of the ideas in the others interesting but, let's face it, they all rubbish squandered their potentially interesting concepts

And it's the same with this. I think the IDEA is interesting but I'm not holding my breath. But I'm going to watch and not be my opinion on some knee-jerk reaction to a female protagonist.

I had posted more but decided to remove it as there is no point debating the issue.. Any opposing debate is considered angry "triggering" by these touchy snowflakes.

I do think that movie poster is terrible though

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

predators and predator 2 were very watchable as well as the original of course.

looking forward to it anyway !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Predator 2 made an attempt to take things down a different enough path that it could be properly called "a sequel film"; Predators was a neat concept but still stuck close to the original film, visual iconography n' all. The Danny Glover flick was a coked-up, high energy & sweaty beast, its protagonist a cynical and tubby cop an inspired move (that's OK, but a young hunter isn't? I dunno). It was what sequels should do IMO.

I said it back in page 1 but these kind of 80s franchises - Predator, Terminator etc - should be given the Blumhouse treatment; dial back the budget (but not too much, obviously), marketing and expectations; let some canny & creative directors have a crack at the idea, and not worry about how many Funko Pops could be made from the character.

Literally pressed submit, then noticed some news of note. This is going to be R, not PG-13 so whatever angst ye had about that aspect, you may rest easy there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Seems like these predator lads, never had successful visit...

Yes predatorss on a different planet.

Well.. not that anyone survived to tell the tale about 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well, remember they gave Danny Glover an old gun at the end of 2, so they have been here and left alive, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think the idea is more than fine, a predator movie set in the past based around a tribe of hunter gatherers, there are any amount of interesting ways that could go. Tense hunting action, atmospheric horror, "The Revenant" style character study, take your pick.

I for one would be more than happy to follow a Senua or Furiosa as she battled to survive in that world.

Then you hear the first line of the trailer and see what they are going for...

"Why do you want to hunt?"

"Because you all think that I can't."

Great. Its one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

are we wrong for assuming their pronoun ??? and the predators pronoun ? it might not even identify as a predator

• Registered Users Posts: 30,890 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

“Story sets main character as total underdog with something to prove “. This describes the basic construct behind a very large number of films, good, bad, and middling.

I’ve no idea why some are getting so upset about the trailer framing it that way here… it’s like some people have never watched a movie before.

Especially when the series has already done the alternative “creature attacks highly skilled characters and dominates, showing just how deadly creature is” version twice before already. I expect we’ll see all the strong fighters in the community killed, while she gets by on guile and cunning, approaching things from a different perspective.

As for the line itself - it’s the type of line they add in literally for the trailer so they can get across the broad concept in an instant. It’s not a good line, it’s a functionally heavy lifting line.

Exactly. That single line could be pasted from a stock scriptwriting library; you could slot it into about a 100 stories about an Adolescent Main Character, one who Authority Figures and/or parents completely underestimate (by movie's end though, everyone respects their prowess, having saved the day).

It's cliché as hell but got the idea across in a single line, as you say; her tribe think she has no value. Boom, stakes established, let's go.

edit: of course, who can forget the entirety of the YA genre is based on this exact line.

Authority Figure: You are forbidden from Doing The Thing.

YA Hero: I'm finding myself as a person, I will Do The Thing.

Authority Figure: Oh no, I am defeated. You have Done The Thing.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It’s Whale Rider with a Predator; Predator Rider.

There's a new still out, via Empire magazine, giving us a better look at the new Predator; tis behind the link.

Trachtenberg repeats that Predator doesn’t have his shoulder cannon but has other tools at his disposal: “The Premise is David versus Goliath – I didn’t want to make Goliath smaller. It doesn’t have its plasma caster, but it does have heat vision and other tools.”

He goes on to say that he wanted to have very little dialogue in Prey – he originally intended it all to be in the Comanche language. Trachtenberg reiterates that the actors recorded all their lines in Comanche for the Comanche dub but “it’s a little more sophisticated than perhaps our memory of watching dubbed movies. There’s a lip-match [choosing words to match the actor’s mouth movements as closely as possible] that we do now. It won’t be like watching old kung fu movies”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I don't really get why they didn't just record and release in Comanche and subtitle it. Worked for Dances with Wolves, Apocalypto, Downfall, Passion of the Christ, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I kinda agree with you...but! Do any of us actually own a shoehorn?

Ha - I think that the actual physical shoehorns come into their own once people get to about 70 and putting on shoes gets more difficult!

• Advertisement

Economics of an IP. All of the above were either once off Prestige dramas, sometimes made by auteurs (or indeed, was an actual German production in the case of Downfall!); no way could I see suits having the nerve to let a pop culture IP get too niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm way too hyped for this film.

Anyway.. 2 Weeks

I'm half getting the feeling they'll go beyond Predator 2 and

maybe she'll join the Predators at the end. I vaguely remember seeing a comic frontpage that gave me the impression it was possible in their universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I read earlier that the film is coming to Disney+ but hoped it was also getting a cinema release.

Is it Disney+ exclusive?

"Best Predator movie"? Those are very bold, dangerous claims given the sanctity of the original film. Keeping an open mind myself but that smells a bit too much like Hype.

Yes, Disney/Hulu; no cinema release.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is this where we say things like "these people are just saying it's great because it's a female lead"

Seriously though, hopefully it is good. Maybe she gets a cyber suit at the end. 😁

That tends to be how these things go now: opinions you don't like are virtue signalling; though I'd be shocked if some of those reviewers weren't simply the type who can't separate enthusiasm óver getting an invite to a Premiere, from properly reviewing the film.

Aside from hoping this is good, I ALSO hope it proves that not every Predator movie - or similar IPs cut from the same cloth like Terminator - HAS to be set in modern day. That a sequel might be set in Medieval times for instance; or we get that WW2 Terminator movie I wrote in my head 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

That is a pity.

I was really looking forward to seeing this at a cinema.

I really like the original and enjoy the sequels but they are very same-y.

Putting a Predator up against different warriors from throughout history is exactly what the sequels should have been.

Advertisement