Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Planning Christmas Dinner/Drinks..

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Utter madness, totally nuts with this plague thats killing 10-30% of the people it infects - we need to hide under our beds for at least another decade...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Could one have a Christmas party for all staff under 50 ?
    The restaurants should be reopening next week , nice meal , bottle of wine would be a great treat for employees that arent that vulnerable ?

Er...your HR department might have something to say on that maybe run it by them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I think it's a bit mad expecting or wanting work Christmas dinners to go ahead this year. It's incredibly unlikely that that many households will be allowed to mix under the restrictions anyway. Even if it is allowed, it's not worth the risk imo. Whatever about taking the risk to see close friends and family... work colleagues?! No. Sorry, as lovely as they are, I wouldn't even entertain the idea.

If we go mad in December, we'll just be back in lockdown come January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

GT89 wrote: »
    My source is common sense

A graduate of the School of Hard Knocks and the University of Life to boot, I'll bet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's no way the original story is real. I see the OP has account deactivated at this point. Whatever about groups of friends meeting up for Christmas where they only have responsibility for themselves, no employer is going to take the risk of organising something. Even if by some miracle, we do go to Level 2 by the time the party date rolls round (very unlikely), any potential infection coming as a result of the party is going to lead to all sorts of employer liability issues that no sane employer is going to want to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't think work events are a good idea at the moment, the optics of it wouldn't be great. Depends on the company but I know our HR department have vetoed any meetups this side of Christmas because of how it would look it the public got wind of it and because there is no interest in one. Even if it did go ahead I can't see many people going because of the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Stark wrote: »
    There's no way the original story is real. I see the OP has account deactivated at this point. Whatever about groups of friends meeting up for Christmas where they only have responsibility for themselves, no employer is going to take the risk of organising something. Even if by some miracle, we do go to Level 2 by the time the party date rolls round (very unlikely), any potential infection coming as a result of the party is going to lead to all sorts of employer liability issues that no sane employer is going to want to deal with.

Agree. No employer or HR Dept in their right mind will be behind organising any Christmas jollys this year. Our sports & social giving the money that would have been spent on party to a local charity this year collecting food/hampers. Now whether individuals will decide to meet up go for meals / drinks off the record that's another thing & clearly up to each person whether to go or not & I'd say most will do their own small thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

New to this thread but guessing that as with the previous lifting of restrictions, a cap of 6 people per table will operate in restaurants?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't think work events are a good idea at the moment, the optics of it wouldn't be great. Depends on the company but I know our HR department have vetoed any meetups this side of Christmas because of how it would look it the public got wind of it and because there is no interest in one. Even if it did go ahead I can't see many people going because of the risk.

I hear that one government department social club has paid out substantial money for this;

I swear I'd rather be tied up and whipped repeatedly for a few hours.

Is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Apocalypse3

I work for Multinational company in Cork (remotely since Feb), and my manager wants to organize team lunch this week, of course everyone from the team said they will go - I said we will see. I think I am working in a toxic work environment to be honest, manager going around and asking every ones names and if they are going or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Utter madness, totally nuts with this plague thats killing 10-30% of the people it infects - we need to hide under our beds for at least another decade...

Why do people post stupid figures like this??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Why do people post stupid figures like this??

I think you are taking it more literally than intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Dav010 wrote: »
    The decision of whether or not to have a Christmas party came up at work yesterday with speculation that the restaurants are likely to reopen. I’m in a slightly different situation to the op. I am the owner of a health Clinic, considering what is going on, my opinion when discussing with senior staff yesterday was that it should not go ahead, this did not go down well. The staff organise the Christmas party, pick the venue etc, I pick up the tab for the night and usually everyone attends because we carefully select staff who get on very well with one another. Typically we have it the Friday night before Christmas, yesterday the staff said that they would likely be going out that night anyway, they want to put on their glad rags (their words) and let their hair down. Fair enough, they deserve it.

If the booking is more than 6, the venue should not accept it.
    But then this Ireland, we get an inch and we take a mile. Lockdown number 3 on its way

I hear that one government department social club has paid out substantial money for this;

Is it just me?

We did it for Halloween, the kids loved it. Work will do it again for xmas, mainly for the kids, the employees are getting hampers etc instead of a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Is it just me?

no not just you it looks dreadful

the american company that bought us does this stuff all the time and its pretty pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Did you ring Joe Duffy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Just wondering does anyone else think this is insane? I've already declined btw as have underlying resp issues but said i'd find what people think:

Company I work with based in the Health industry is planning on holding a dinner for the team, 8-10 people based in 4/5 different counties in Ireland.

They are familiar with an owner of a restaurant who've agreed to take them in for a night... I could not believe it when I heard it.

Has anyone else workplace talked about anything like this??

Fair play to the company. It's been a tough year. Nice to get some normality and reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

Fair play to the company. It's been a tough year. Nice to get some normality and reward.

OP closed their account soon after starting this thread. This work do is probably a figment of their imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

We are a small office only 12 people but we are going out for a Christmas batch this coming Friday. Normally we would only have 6 of us going most years however this year all 12 are going (think people are looking forward to just chatting face to face with other adults). Obviously we are not going to be all on 1 table so we booked 3 tables of 4. Have to say I am so looking forward to this Christmas party more than any other we ever had.

I would love that! There's only a handful of us where I work so would be close contacts of each other. It would be really great to have a night out with them. This time last year I was planning a Christmas night out for a group of my friends. How times have changed.

Only if you let them. Me and my mates are still going ahead with our Xmas Party on 19th of this month, starting at 2pm. Every year at the party the organiser for the next years one is chosen, and this years had organised something. None of us are sure what it is yet, other than for the KK, you've to buy a fancy dress outfit for your person and whoever buys the worst one has to do a forfeit.

• Advertisement

Tork wrote: »
    OP closed their account soon after starting this thread. This work do is probably a figment of their imagination.

Or they’re panicked by the response and worried someone will figure out where they work and vilify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

Closing their account and leaving all their boards posts behind??? You can still read everything they posted on boards and identity them. That is, if they'd identifiable.

If the booking is more than 6, the venue should not accept it.
    But then this Ireland, we get an inch and we take a mile. Lockdown number 3 on its way

I cancelled it, to be rescheduled when safe to do so. Some staff not happy.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I cancelled it, to be rescheduled when safe to do so. Some staff not happy.

Maybe give them a voucher? Shows you care.

Maybe give them a voucher? Shows you care.

Cases of nice wines for all being delivered on the 18th to the value of what was spent on party last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We did it for Halloween, the kids loved it. Work will do it again for xmas, mainly for the kids, the employees are getting hampers etc instead of a party.

This was definitely targeted at adult staff, not for kids. I just can't see the appeal of forced jollity and participation for adults.
    no not just you it looks dreadful

the american company that bought us does this stuff all the time and its pretty pathetic

I think part of it is about somebody having a budget burning a hole in their pocket, and they don't want to 'waste it', so instead of saving money, or actually spending it on something staff will enjoy, like food or drink, they throw it away to an 'events' company like this.

This was definitely targeted at adult staff, not for kids. I just can't see the appeal of forced jollity and participation for adults.

I think part of it is about somebody having a budget burning a hole in their pocket, and they don't want to 'waste it', so instead of saving money, or actually spending it on something staff will enjoy, like food or drink, they throw it away to an 'events' company like this.

Defo this, if you don't spend it this year, you won't get it next year.

I'm not sure if Zoom would be good. I've seen Steve from the ad in the Laughter Lounge and he's hilarious, not sure if it'd translate to a call though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if RTE can do it, then why not

Advertisement