Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasgow vs Munster, Mon 23rd Nov 8:15pm; Eir Sport 1

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I just think it is hilarious. If the irish provinces were at the bottom half of the table, there would be poster after poster saying that our provinces are not good enough and demanding changes

But when the provinces are all doing well, those same posters are saying it's because the other unions are terrible and we're only on top because the league is so bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Akrasia wrote: »
    Zebre next week. Should be 7 from 7 before the break. Think we'll be good enough to beat Quinns and Clermont. Can't see us losing until we play Leinster at christmas

Relax there. We've yet to play anyone actually any good. That was a good win, but Glasgow were poor. We should beat Quinns, but Clermont are sitting third in the Top14 with two games in hand. There still a bloody good team and will be our first real test this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I just think it is hilarious. If the irish provinces were at the bottom half of the table, there would be poster after poster saying that our provinces are not good enough and demanding changes

But when the provinces are all doing well, those same posters are saying it's because the other unions are terrible and we're only on top because the league is so bad.

I think you'll find that those saying "temper your reactions because context" would be saying it no matter the scenario. The other sides in the league have gone to pot. I dont see how saying that is a bad thing. Its just true. And it won't serve any of the provinces in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Yeah, Quins, Leinster and Clermont are the acid tests. We'll see where this team is the far side of those games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The rest of the league is bloody awful. Just look at the conferences. Ulster in second are 20 points clear of Ospreys in Conference A. Munster are 11 points clear with a game in hand in Conference B.

After 7 rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The result tonight was very good but when the provinces are the only sides with a winning record then there's a massive issue in the league. This weekend the provinces earned 20 points from 20.

It's the nature of some of the defeats too. Munster could have easily won by 25 tonight. Leinster are absolutely coasting it. Even a supposed tough game against Cardiff ended in a 35 point win. Conference A is over already. Conference B is a three horse race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Relax there. We've yet to play anyone actually any good. That was a good win, but Glasgow were poor. We should beat Quinns, but Clermont are sitting third in the Top14 with two games in hand. There still a bloody good team and will be our first real test this season.

They’ll be rubbish if we win though I’d imagine.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,015 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is it correct that Leinster have already qualified for the play offs after that result??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

leakyboots wrote: »
    Yeah, Quins, Leinster and Clermont are the acid tests. We'll see where this team is the far side of those games.

Target for me

Quin’s - 5 points
    Clermont - 1 point
    Leinster - 4 points

Get that done in those 3 games and we are flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

This isn't the provinces doing well. This is the top 3 provinces having won 20 matches from 20. They have a combined points difference of 382 i.e. an average winning margin of 19 points. No other team outside the 4 provinces has a winning record.

If you don't think there's a massive problem with that and it's just looking to complain, I don't know what else to say. I'd much rather the provinces were losing the odd game and being challenged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Is it correct that Leinster have already qualified for the play offs after that result??

No, wont have it mathematically secured for at least a few rounds. 30 points clear of Glasgow who have 15 games left (assuming it is a 21 game season). Will still be secured ridiculously early though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,015 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No, wont have it mathematically secured for at least a few rounds. 30 points clear of Glasgow who have 15 games left (assuming it is a 21 game season). Will still be secured ridiculously early though.

Theres not 14 teams so there can't be 21 rounds.

So it's home and away in your conference and once against the other conference, which is 16 rounds.

So with leinster 30 points ahead of Glasgow, and possibly 9 rounds left, they aren't qualified yet, but two more TBP wins and they will be.

At least that's how I read it

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

So it's home and away in your conference and once against the other conference, which is 16 rounds.

So with leinster 30 points ahead of Glasgow, and possibly 9 rounds left, they aren't qualified yet, but two more TBP wins and they will be.

You're right, completely forgot to take that into account. Hard to have much interest in the league right now apart from seeing some promising performances from younger Irish players. At least we got a couple of competitive matches over last 2 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Thought they still hadn't officially ruled out any south African input this season? Just that there definitely wouldn't be any involvement from them until next year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I think because of the way the fixtures fall now it's impossible to not make the playoffs. Trying to figure it out but it's actually fairly close.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Am I imagining it or did Kleyn appear to do something very utterly unacceptable in the tussle following the Wilson hit on Casey? I thought it was very obvious but there doesn't seem to be a peep about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Am I imagining it or did Kleyn appear to do something very utterly unacceptable in the tussle following the Wilson hit on Casey? I thought it was very obvious but there doesn't seem to be a peep about it.

Wasn't a good look to it, and certainly enough people saying the same thing online.

Thought it looked a bit dogey myself, but there was nothing clearly showing it and the absolute zero reaction to it or mention of it from Wilson would lead me to believe it wasn't what it looked like. A Glasgow player (4 I think) was hanging off Klynes face aswell. And it looked a bit like Klyne settled for a little hair pull on Wilson at the end.

DdA with a few pushes that looked alot like semi punches as well.
    But then again I thought Wilson half headbutted DdA when he first draged him in for the scuffle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Plus the other two Interpro matches, or "regional derbies", so with 12 teams in two conferences of 6 teams in each it should be 18 matches in the league stage qualifying rounds.
    So, 7 rounds gone and 11 to go before the playoffs, which apparently are semi-finals and a final, no quarter-finals planned as far as I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

A win is a win, a BP win nothing to be sneezed at especially on a wet windy night away from home but the scoreline flattered Glasgow. We made hard work of it and after going 2 trys up from mauls we start kicking at goal, I can't explain it aside form we gifted them a try with some very soft defense so maybe we thought we needed to get points on the board but neither kick was a gimmie. I'd have kicked to the corner all day long for those types of kicks on a night like last night.

A few kicks that went dead brought Glasgow back into the game when we should really have been looking at being home and hosed.

The officials were piss poor, some terrible calls and some non interventions from the TMO especially around the scuffle where Wilson was carded but as they made an arse of themselves with the very first TMO check I'd say the ref wasn't going through that again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Awful weather so a tbp and maximum points is a good result.

• Advertisement
Advertisement