Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon warehouse 30% off

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Import duty still applies ?

Not for that low of a value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

cython wrote: »
    Not for that low of a value.

Strange they have applied it on lots of my items below 22

Strange they have applied it on lots of my items below 22

Is the cost of the item <€22 before the 20% off is applied? Because that has to be the case to avoid VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Looks like the 20% off is working but they are charging vat on items under 22. From what I can see anyway?

hurikane wrote: »
    Looks like the 20% off is working but they are charging vat on items under 22. From what I can see anyway?

Example? I ordered something with the VAT taken off as well as the 20% off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

hurikane wrote: »

Was the original price before 20% over the threshold? I thought the VAT trick is on the original list price being charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

There was a glitch with something I was trying to buy there the other day, I can't even remember what it was I've been buying so much crap. Basically it was over 22 but had one of those 'click here to save 20%' promotions on the item. When I went to check out it calculated the fees on the original price, not the discounted final price. I ended up leaving it in the end. Not sure if the same issue is arising here?

griffdaddy wrote: »
    There was a glitch with something I was trying to buy there the other day, I can't even remember what it was I've been buying so much crap. Basically it was over 22 but had one of those 'click here to save 20%' promotions on the item. When I went to check out it calculated the fees on the original price, not the discounted final price. I ended up leaving it in the end. Not sure if the same issue is arising here?

That's not a glitch, as I mentioned above. The amount has to be below €22 before any discounts are applied to have the VAT removed.

Ok can someone confirm if this is valid ? Charged import fees for value of 16.490 ?

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:£16.49
    Postage & Packing:£6.00
    Total Before VAT:£22.49
    VAT:£0.00
    Total:£22.49
    Promotion Applied:-£12.21
    Import Fees Deposit£4.73
    Grand Total:£15.01

Is this applied across the board for all items ?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭user302243

Ok can someone confirm if this is valid ? Charged import fees for value of 16.490 ?

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:£16.49
    Postage & Packing:£6.00
    Total Before VAT:£22.49
    VAT:£0.00
    Total:£22.49
    Promotion Applied:-£12.21
    Import Fees Deposit£4.73
    Grand Total:£15.01

Is this applied across the board for all items ?

Yes, it's the £22.49 (products + postage) that matters not the £16.49.

• Advertisement

user302243 wrote: »
    Yes, it's the £22.49 (products + postage) that matters not the £16.49.

So if i had it below 22 it would not have import duties ?

Meaning anyone with prime and below 22 will not have import duties ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

free shipping with prime is needed to make the most of the no vat for products under €22. I've more than made back the cost of prime.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So if i had it below 22 it would not have import duties ?

Meaning anyone with prime and below 22 will not have import duties ?

Yes, I've Prime and I've been buying many items and getting the 23% off, it has more then paid for the cost of Prime. Also if you haven't used Prime before, you can often get a free 1 month trail.

BTW The "Import Duty" here is just Irish VAT at 23%, the price is exactly the same as it would have been pre-Brexit, they just change what they call it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

bk wrote: »
    Yes, I've Prime and I've been buying many items and getting the 23% off, it has more then paid for the cost of Prime. Also if you haven't used Prime before, you can often get a free 1 month trail.

BTW The "Import Duty" here is just Irish VAT at 23%, the price is exactly the same as it would have been pre-Brexit, they just change what they call it now.

Isn't our VAT currently 21%

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If something is cost more than €22 when do you pay the vat/custom duties?
    I remember years ago I purchased something online and we had to give the money to the postman/woman. What is the case now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If something is cost more than €22 when do you pay the vat/custom duties?
    I remember years ago I purchased something online and we had to give the money to the postman/woman. What is the case now?

At the checkout. With Amazon they do it all and what you pay at the checkout is the price there are no extras to pay the postman or anyone else.

Wake me up when it's all over.

might be easier to keep the warehouse deals separate from the ****show that is prime day?

Asus gaming laptop, used very good condition

Order Summary
    Items: GBP 507.93
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 116.82
    Total: GBP 624.75
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 152.38
    Order Total: GBP 472.37

and an alienware gaming desktop - used like new condition

Order Summary
    Items: GBP 979.97
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 225.39
    Total: GBP 1,205.36
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 293.99
    Order Total: GBP 911.37

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The same bug that hits the prime day discounts also hits the 30% warehouse discount so you end up with a very limited discount - which is a shame because the warehouse deals could often be quite good when compared with the discounted tat that makes up most of the prime day deals.

The same bug that hits the prime day discounts also hits the 30% warehouse discount so you end up with a very limited discount - which is a shame because the warehouse deals could often be quite good when compared with the discounted tat that makes up most of the prime day deals.

I'm not sure it does?

on the alienware desktop for example, the listed price is £1,175.96, where as for us it's £1205 - the extra £30 is most likely the VAT difference between UK / IRE?

• Advertisement

variety of apple products in the warehouse sale - no airpods though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Apologies - it's not quite the same bug. It's a little bit better but still an issue.

For the UK the 30% is taken off everything whearas for Irish delivery they subtract 30% from the ex-VAT price but charge you the VAT on the non discounted amount. To be fair it may be possible to claim the overpaid VAT back (I have no idea about that).

UK Delivery Address:
    Items: GBP 1,175.96
    Total: GBP 1,175.96
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 352.79
    Order Total: GBP 823.17

Irish Delivery Address:

352.79 is exactly a 30% discount as advertised but 293.99 is only 30% of the ex-VAT amount and then the VAT is charged on the original non-discounted amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

ablelocks wrote: »
    and an alienware gaming desktop - used like new condition

Order Summary

I've one of these for sale myself with better specs for less than what the price of it is now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Homelander

mamaz wrote: »
    I've one of these for sale myself with better specs for less than what the price of it is now!

Neither of those machines posted are remotely close to a bargain even with the hefty discount.

Advertisement