Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Evilbart wrote: »
    Ah I didn’t even check stock as I already have it.

Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

The first game I’ve played through on the PS5 was The Last of Us 2, just finished today. Holy crap I am emotionally exhausted. It’s a masterpiece in storytelling. Magnificent, and looks glorious (even though it’s only PS4 game). It’s only €30 on the PS store for Black Friday mid anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

The first game I’ve played through on the PS5 was The Last of Us 2, just finished today. Holy crap I am emotionally exhausted. It’s a masterpiece in storytelling. Magnificent, and looks glorious (even though it’s only PS4 game). It’s only €30 on the PS store for Black Friday mid anyone is interested.

Very well said!
    Felt exactly the same at the end, I remember feeling physically exhausted, it’s so brutal and beautiful at the same time. Delighted it’s raking in the awards now.
    Such a steal for 30 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

madmoe wrote: »
    Is it any good?

It’s a looter shooter very good mechanics and a deep character upgrade system.

Check out some reviews on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

PS5 version of Warframe also came out this evening.

Seems smooth with nicer graphics and haptic controller support.

Only downside is the trophies don't carry over. Some kind of do, such as kill 1000 enemies type trophies, they come over as on 99% so 1 kill and it pops.

Bit of a kick in the teeth, definitely won't be going out of my way to get the trophies again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

MikeRyan87 wrote: »
    I really don't think it's supposed to be happening but I could be wrong.
    Makes the weird click in Bugsnax everytime I put the scanner away and r2 seems to go crazier than when I first played it a few days ago.

I hear a click sound whenever I enter menus etc. I think the click sound is the electric motor being turned off when it's not needed, the arm giving the resistance gets released, making the click sound.

Bugsnax is a weird one, I really don't like how strong the vibration is while using the scanner. I might submit a thread to their subreddit and see if it's intentional. The devs are fairly active there.

Edit:

Someone already asked - https://www.reddit.com/r/Bugsnax/comments/ju0thj/controller_issues/gc9re30/ - Devs don't see it as an issue, but are looking into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

MikeRyan87 wrote: »
    I really don't think it's supposed to be happening but I could be wrong.
    Makes the weird click in Bugsnax everytime I put the scanner away and r2 seems to go crazier than when I first played it a few days ago.

Bugsnax is next on my playlist after I finish the spider man dlc so I'll see if mine acts the same.

Platinumed the spider man remaster and finished the first two dlcs. Finding the dlcs fairly boring tbh. The main game was great but this feels like treading old ground since
    Hammerhead feels the exact same as Tombstone and Sable is opposed to spider man again even though they made up at the end of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Game was incredible. Only played it once at launch, waiting for the inevitable PS5 version. Ray traced reflections in that game would be incredible, Seattle is basically one gigantic puddle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Took a break from Demon’s Souls to try out The Last Guardian. And yep, after often struggling to hit 20fps on my base PS4, it runs at a silky smooth 60 with the unpatched disc version on PS5.

A genuine thrill to revisit the game too. I’ve always held it up as one of the finest achievements in the medium: a peerless director and team putting their efforts towards a madly ambitious culmination of everything they’d done beforehand. To see the game unshackled from its technical problems and running the way it was always meant to... a true triumph is all I can say. Looking forward to a full play-through again: already reminded a dozen times of why it’s such a remarkable piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Took a break from Demon’s Souls to try out The Last Guardian. And yep, after often struggling to hit 20fps on my base PS4, it runs at a silky smooth 60 with the unpatched disc version on PS5.

A genuine thrill to revisit the game too. I’ve always held it up as one of the finest achievements in the medium: a peerless director and team putting their efforts towards a madly ambitious culmination of everything they’d done beforehand. To see the game unshackled from its technical problems and running the way it was always meant to... a true triumph is all I can say. Looking forward to a full play-through again: already reminded a dozen times of why it’s such a remarkable piece of work.

Is there anything needed to prevent the game installing patches? I have the disk but for some reason I had it in my head that as soon as you install it, it'll try to download patches and install them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

RedXIV wrote: »
    Is there anything needed to prevent the game installing patches? I have the disk but for some reason I had it in my head that as soon as you install it, it'll try to download patches and install them?

It tries to download them, but I just cancelled it and it worked just fine (also played my PS4 save no bother - must have been lucky to play it before it was patched). Not sure if it will try to download the patches again when I boot up the game again - I reckon it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,686 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Is it worth playing the ps collection version or does the patched digital version run that bad? Any reason why the fps was reduced in the patches?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Finally got my Bugsnax platinum, infuriating at times but worth it in the end to free up some space..

2 ps5 platinums in the bag now, might grind the No Mans Sky platinum again..

Playing Dirt 5 a bit too and the Sprint race is just annoying me.. So hard to control those cars but it will probably take a while to get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Been playing borderlands 3 since I got the ps5, played it last year on the one x however I love borderlands and not going to say no to another play of this game,

Picked it up for 10 euros and it includes a free ps5 version of the game

It runs amazing at 4K, HDR and 60 FPS also the ps5 controller is just so nice to play on reminds of the Xbox controller now

Very impressed with the PS5

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

RedXIV wrote: »

Go to Settings > System > System Software > System Software Update and Settings and disable Download Update Files Automatically.

It will stop it updating unexpectedly, downside is it will not download updates for other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Yea, it is an amazing game. The jankiness and controls put a lot of people off but if you are willing to put up with them the result is a game like no other.
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Is it worth playing the ps collection version or does the patched digital version run that bad? Any reason why the fps was reduced in the patches?

IIRC it will run at 30 fps about half of the time, the other half it will hover around 26/27 but it can go down to 20 fps sometimes. I still enjoyed it when I played it like this on the Pro but it is very much a YMMV situation. Now that a 60 fps mode is possible I highly suggest you play this version.

As far as the patches go, the original release ran at an unlocked framerate which was all over the place, so they patched in a framerate cap after a couple of updates. It made the game more stable on the PS4 but obviously the PS5 can't overcome a hardcoded cap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looks like Smyths don't have it. Might pick it up secondhand then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Loving demon souls... just one boss down but farming a lot on long sword strength build. Question... what stats should i invest in as I'm aware the cost per stat addition increases soul cost and it's important not to spec poorly early.. Thanks

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Looks like Smyths don't have it. Might pick it up secondhand then.

CEX has loads of copies for €12, if Sony don't unlock the framerate in a future patch (which I don't think is likely), that price will start creeping up over time.
    sticker wrote: »
    Loving demon souls... just one boss down but farming a lot on long sword strength build. Question... what stats should i invest in as I'm aware the cost per stat addition increases soul cost and it's important not to spec poorly early.. Thanks

You are much better off asking in the DeS thread, if you are going for a strength build then you want to be levelling str/vit/end. Just watch out for the soft level caps where they lose their effectivness. Depending on your weapon, you may want to start levelling other stats later on too.

I am also a strength build but with support magic, gonna turn my greatsword into a magic sword later on, after which I am putting points into magic instead of strength.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »

If you’re not willing to shell out, the PS Plus version will do fine - it’s still the same game, and should run at a stable 30 FPS. I played it on a base PS4 with wildly uneven frame rate and it still became one of my favourite games.

But to see it running at a hyper-smooth 60 FPS is imo transformative, and by far the best way to play the game.

Obviously the ideal would be to roll out a patch to ensure everyone gets to play it this way, but given Gen Design is now its own independent entity I’m not sure that’ll happen alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Thought this was interesting for those experiencing the extremely loud disc noise every so often. Might be a very easy solution.

https://twitter.com/13_Watty/status/1330109443741245445?s=19

Thought this was interesting for those experiencing the extremely loud disc noise every so often. Might be a very easy solution.

https://twitter.com/13_Watty/status/1330109443741245445?s=19

Hmm, anyone going to try that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

No need to try it blind, really. Just remove your side panels and if the noise is still there, you know the pads won't do anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Can't get enough of Astrobot. My kids even demanded i play some songs on Spotify this morning. So I re-downloaded Rescue Mission for the PSVR this morning.

Was a little sad when the realisation hit that I need the adapter for the VR to connect to the PS5, and Sony have yet to send it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

sticker wrote: »

What class are you playing.....really need to know before we can help you.

If you are new to the game I would strongly urge you to pick one of the last two classes either ROYALTY or Templar Knight.

Royalty is overall the best class to choose for many reasons but 1 of them is that they start at soul level 1 so upgrading is very cheap straight away as the upgrade points are around 70 souls. And it has a ranged magic attack you can damage enemies from a far not as intimidating as hack n slash up close.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    What class are you playing.....really need to know before we can help you.

If you are new to the game I would strongly urge you to pick one of the last two classes either ROYALTY or Templar Knight.

Royalty is overall the best class to choose for many reasons but 1 of them is that they start at soul level 1 so upgrading is very cheap straight away as the upgrade points are around 70 souls. And it has a ranged magic attack you can damage enemies from a far not as intimidating as hack n slash up close.

Soul arrow is ridiculously OP, I am using it with a Knight having put no points into magic and it is wrecking most enemies.

Soul Arrow’s great for 1-1 and a handful of the other 1s, but think it starts having diminishing returns fairly quickly and you definitely need to diversify. A certain NPC in 3-1 is when you start getting the really cool spells :)

That said, it can be used to snipe that annoying ass dragon in 1-2 if you have the patience!

Soul Arrow’s great for 1-1 and a handful of the other 1s, but think it starts having diminishing returns fairly quickly and you definitely need to diversify. A certain NPC in 3-1 is when you start getting the really cool spells :)

That said, it can be used to snipe that annoying ass dragon in 1-2 if you have the patience!

What spell should I move onto afterwards? I wasn't planning on levelling magic until later but I might do this earlier if I need to.

• Advertisement

If anyone turned off Trophy Videos, go double check it. I disabled them, but it seems an update turned them back on.

Advertisement