Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for the British to apologise for the occupation of Ireland?

Options
  • 17-11-2020 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

The closest we have came to this that I can find is Tony Blair apologising in 1997 for the Famine and then the Queen in 2011 when she apologised for something but there has never been an official apology for there occupation of the Country. So do ye think it is about time they did or at least started thinking about when they will?
    Maybe when we are a full United Country again maybe that would be the time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

Seeing as they still haven't left yet i wouldn't be hopeful of an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I can't say I'm bothered if they do or don't, what's done is done.

Absolutely zero chance of such a statement coming from the current government.
    If Labour took power and floated the idea the red tops and the portion of the public who's opinions they influence would absolutely bury them as Britain-haters ashamed of their own history.

I live in England and you'd be amazed how many people think the British colonisation of much of the world was performed as some noble act of kindness - civilizing peoples and spreading enlightened values.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

AMKC wrote: »
    The closest we have came to this that I can find is Tony Blair apologising in 1997 for the Famine and then the Queen in 2011 when she apologised for something but there has never been an official apology for there occupation of the Country. So do ye think it is about time they did or at least started thinking about when they will?

You mean the people who came over to Ireland from present-day Britain in or around the year 1170? They weren't British.

of course not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

Shouldnt it be 60 countries they should be apologising to?

Good luck getting that out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

What difference would an apology make to anyone in Irelands life?

Unless they pay actual reparations, then what is the point

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

You need to move on and stop looking for issues!

Total and utter sh***!

timmyntc wrote: »

We should ask Scandinavians to pay reparations for the actions of Vikings too...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Maybe it would show future generations that they were sorry for the pillaging and raping ect.

its called remorse, its accepted in a court.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

For a start, I don't think "occupation" is the correct term for it, nor indeed "colonisation", which is another term bandied around. British presence in Ireland long pre-dated either concept, at least in the modern understanding of each.

What was it then? British rule is probably the best description. It has more similarities with Danish rule over Norway or Swedish (and then Russian) rule over Finland. It's no coincidence that Irish independence arrived at the end of an approximately 100 year period that witnessed the rise of nationalism as a political force and the decline of European, multi-ethnic empires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Limpy wrote: »
    Maybe it would show future generations that they were sorry for the pillaging and raping ect.

its called remorse, its accepted in a court.

But they arent because the vast majority of them don't know about it because they don't get taught it in school

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Presumably the French will then have to apologize to the English for the Norman conquest, and the Scandinavians to pretty much everyone for the entire 9th and 10th Centuries. And heaven help the Italians, they'll never be done with the mi dispiaces.

Or we could just suggest everyone reflect on all the historical murdering and thievery that their celebrated national identities are actually based on before they puff up their chests, and focus on solving the current issues between our states instead.

Tordelback wrote: »
    Presumably the French will then have to apologize to the English for the Norman conquest, and the Scandinavians to pretty much everyone for the entire 9th and 10th Centuries. And heaven help the Italians, they'll never be done with the mi dispiaces.

Or we could just suggest everyone reflect on all the historical murdering and thievery that their celebrated national identities are actually based on before they puff up their chests, and focus on solving the current issues between our states instead.

you monster!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

RWCNT wrote: »

I live in England and you'd be amazed how many people think the British colonisation of much of the world was performed as some noble act of kindness - civilizing peoples and spreading enlightened values.

In many cases you got Received Pronunciation lessons, cricket, bowler hats and football hooliganism classes in exchange for all your valuables, treasures and natural resources. You then got to take your place at the very bottom rung of a rigid class system that worked as a wealth vacuum cleaner for a small group of supremely wealthy oligarchs London.

Boards.ie turning more and more into Quora every day.

Presumably the French will then have to apologize to the English for the Norman conquest... ...And heaven help the Italians, they'll never be done with the mi dispiaces.

Both of those countries also had more recent empires in parallel with the British empire - are they apologising too I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

When was Ireland a United country.

Damn pesky Brits. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

She didn't.

She uttered something like "things were done that should not have been done".

That's not an apology.

Do you think Britain should pay reparations to ROI?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Presumably the French will then have to apologize to the English for the Norman conquest, and the Scandinavians to pretty much everyone for the entire 9th and 10th Centuries.

We should ask Scandinavians to pay reparations for the actions of Vikings too...

They happened centuries ago.

Some people who harmed Ireland are still alive today.

Using your logic should Germany not apologise for what Hitler's Nazis did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

We feel the pull in the land of a thousand guilts and poured cement lamented and assure.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

No.

I don't think they should.

They should acknowledge their history but I would not expect an apology. What a bizarre idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

RWCNT wrote: »
    I can't say I'm bothered if they do or don't, what's done is done.

Absolutely zero chance of such a statement coming from the current government.
    If Labour took power and floated the idea the red tops and the portion of the public who's opinions they influence would absolutely bury them as Britain-haters ashamed of their own history.

If you live their voluntarily you are backing the colonisation project.

If you live their voluntarily you are backing the colonisation project.

Voluntarily. The poster could be in prison. :D

I haven't heard such a silly suggestion in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

imme wrote: »
    When was Ireland a United country.

Damn pesky Brits. :rolleyes:

Before invasion/colonisation we had a high king who ruled all of Ireland but power was delegated to lesser kings under him.

GarIT wrote: »
    Before invasion/colonisation we had a high kink who ruled all of Ireland but power was delegated to lesser kings under him.

Ooooh matron!!!

Nah, the Nazis were the good guys, they fought against the British.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

sure their queen could set the ball rolling and return all the diamonds and previous gems to the colonies to make her "crown jewels".

There's a funny skit about British museums and countries asking for the stuff back. "How do they know it's stolen?" "We put a plaque below it telling you when and where we stole it". The countries ask for the stuff back and Britain says "No, we're still looking at it"

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Before invasion/colonisation we had a high king who ruled all of Ireland but power was delegated to lesser kings under him.

That is fairy story stuff. There were living in Ireland but there was no unified Ireland.

If someone asks what you want for Christmas ask for a history book. :p

Advertisement