Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic car import: what does Brexit mean?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Well, a deal has been reached at long last. Is the used car import situation any clearer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

outfox wrote: »
    Well, a deal has been reached at long last. Is the used car import situation any clearer?

Tarriff free by the sounds of it so that's 10% less than worse case scenario. VAT details will be interesting , revenue says no vat on NI imports but there will be VAT on UK imports so I presume the deal hasnt changed that. If that is the case will a middle man be a work around to allow import in to the north to from the uk vat free and then on to ROI vat free . Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Car99 wrote: »
    Tarriff free by the sounds of it so that's 10% less than worse case scenario. VAT details will be interesting , revenue says no vat on NI imports but there will be VAT on UK imports so I presume the deal hasnt changed that. If that is the case will a middle man be a work around to allow import in to the north to from the uk vat free and then on to ROI vat free . Time will tell.

it's already been said that an asset moved from GB to NI that isn't exportable to the RoI won't attract VAT. A car doesn't fit that,

• Registered Users Posts: 35,677 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

But used vehicles in the UK would have had vat paid on them already Shirley .

not entirely up to speed so don't quote me, but it's to do with the value added. Currently dealers only pay pay VAT on the amount of uplifted value but after a deal wouldn't have the benefit of this concession and would have to pay the full amount up front. I suppose it's to make sure cars don't get shifted over the border without being fully milked.

and don't call me Shirley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wont matter : as an external to EU country it won't count.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭w124man

outfox wrote: »

Well depending on where your info comes from, there is a document the size of War and Peace that needs to be read, dissected and translated into plain English. Then on 30/12 the UK Government has to vote on and accept it. While that is going on, EU ratification has to be completed and then, depending on which way it all goes, we have a deal!

w124man wrote: »
    Well depending on where your info comes from, there is a document the size of War and Peace that needs to be read, dissected and translated into plain English. Then on 30/12 the UK Government has to vote on and accept it. While that is going on, EU ratification has to be completed and then, depending on which way it all goes, we have a deal!

plenty of room for a spanner in the works!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

You see a car for sale in Australia from time to time that was imported from the EU, and when seller is selling in Australia I've seen them state '' no vat to be paid on this car if getting exported back to EU, as it was a European car when sold new''
    But isn't that the case for all cars in UK, they were purchased in EU and had vat paid on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I've been thinking about this before. You can'r be taxed twice on the same item. So if a car is built in Japan and imported to the EU (in this case UK) in, for example 2012. Then all EU taxes due would have been paid in 2012. So surely they can'r be due again? It won't apply to cars registered in the UK after 01/01/21 (or 31/01/20 if you will), but for now it must surely apply.

It may take a court case to get Revenue to accept this.

Either way, surely there's a rebate payable on some cars exported from the UK after Jan 1st. I've often received a VAT rebate on trucks and some cars when I exported them from Germany to Africa. Usually took a few months, but was always done correctly.

A friend of mine has brought a few Mercs in from Japan and had to pay VAT and duty on them. Revenue doesn't make up these rules in this case but a car coming in from an ex EU member is a complete unknown (for now)!!

KevRossi wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this before. You can'r be taxed twice on the same item. So if a car is built in Japan and imported to the EU (in this case UK) in, for example 2012. Then all EU taxes due would have been paid in 2012. So surely they can'r be due again? It won't apply to cars registered in the UK after 01/01/21 (or 31/01/20 if you will), but for now it must surely apply.

It may take a court case to get Revenue to accept this.

Either way, surely there's a rebate payable on some cars exported from the UK after Jan 1st. I've often received a VAT rebate on trucks and some cars when I exported them from Germany to Africa. Usually took a few months, but was always done correctly.
    why would there be? It's a Tax to raise funds, it would make no sense to repay it. It's not like VRT

w124man wrote: »
    A friend of mine has brought a few Mercs in from Japan and had to pay VAT and duty on them. Revenue doesn't make up these rules in this case but a car coming in from an ex EU member is a complete unknown (for now)!!

Maybe those mercedes, were sold new in Japan, as they are RHD, and tend to have air con ect.

I'm talking of used cars in Europe, imported to say Australia, Japan, then returned to Europe, and put back on register in europe.

I've seen them state '' no vat to be paid on this car if getting exported back to EU, as it was a European car when sold new''

If the car was sold new in the EU and later exported to OZ then this may be true. If the car was made in the EU and sold new in Oz then the seller is talking bollox

Advertisement