Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you go about blagging a hotel stay?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

stoneill wrote: »
    I have never been asked "why are you staying here?" by a hotel, ever.

Our local hotel has built on a nice extension for a lovely little interrogation room for guests

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Are you off on a promise, or what OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I work in a hotel. At the moment we are open for essential stays only. Proof of reason to stay is essential. Guards are in on a regular basis checking how many guests we have in house and asking for copies of their letters. Maybe this is just because we are a city center based hotel - I dont know if they are checking in all hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

These restrictions are based on your own conscience. You're an adult, if you believe you have an essential reason for staying in a hotel, then you do. Just be honest about it. If you don't believe you have a legitimate reason, then stay at home.

My guess is that this is a shaggy dog story where the OP will eventually "be forced to" reveal that he's supposedly ducking a SW knicker-sniffing inspection of the single mother he's shacked up with in D24. He will then revel in the outpourings of moral outrage of the righteous, happy in the knowledge that he's added another anecdote to the urban legends of the grasping underclass, his elevation to Proconsul in the ranks of YFG all-but assured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Hammer89 wrote: »
    No it means "the action of obtaining something by using persuasion or guile" :rolleyes:

Yeah, the action of obtaining something using persuasion or guile. Not the action of obtaining something by telling a fictional backstory, and then just paying for it like a normal person.

Man ain’t no blaggamuffin!
    Man’s a booker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Our local hotel has built on a nice extension for a lovely little interrogation room for guests,where they can do anything, and I mean...anytning

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I was fully expecting this to be a thread about how to get the room for free.

You need a hotel for a night. Book one. The hotel will be delighted.
    As per above post maybe print an explanatory note to leave with reception although that seems very draconian.

Moving home is a legitimate essential reason to travel under the guidelines, your reason is part of that.

Section 5 (2) p.
    (p) move to another residence where, in all the circumstances of the case, such movement is reasonably necessary

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/442/made/en/print

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Ah lads, they're hotel staff, not guards. They aren't obliged to ask, and even then they absolutely don't give a fk why you're there

In the highly unlikely event you are challenged, make up something remotely plausible. They're hardly going to ask for proof

Sky King wrote:
    In the highly unlikely event you are challenged, make up something remotely plausible. They're hardly going to ask for proof

According to some who work in the industry, they are asking for proof

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

sdanseo wrote: »
    I was fully expecting this to be a thread about how to get the room for free.]

Maybe you and Gregor had the same English teacher :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Porklife wrote: »
    She flew over here from Germany and I agree with you, wouldn't pull a stunt like that in Germany. I got caught jumping the ubahn in Berlin and didn't have money for the on the spot fine..politzei are there within minutes. They dont dick around ze Germans

Rightly so, they do things the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

pgj2015 wrote: »

Boorrrriiiinnnngggg!!

pgj2015 wrote: »

interesting to see, theyre starting to really struggle with covid though, some parts worse than ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Yeah, the action of obtaining something using persuasion or guile. Not the action of obtaining something by telling a fictional backstory, and then just paying for it like a normal person.

Man ain’t no blaggamuffin!
    Man’s a booker!

Admittedly I thought the post was about getting a room for free from the title but the body of the post makes it clear that the blag here is to convince the hotel that he is allowed to have a room in spite of the Covid-19 hotel restrictions - that's still a blag even if it's not the one most were expecting.

Anyway, turns out he is probably allowed to have a room without needing to blag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

An old pal of mine when staying down the country used get the girlfriend to ring the hotel, ask for him, and when told "he's not in his room. Can we leave a message for him?" the girlfriend would say "Yes please, as soon as he returns tell him to contact his office in the Irish Independent urgently"
    For some reason they used get a few freebies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I need to stay somewhere for a night next week - and I do mean 'need' by the way - but I'm not an essential worker and nor am I flying anywhere.

I've heard anecdotal evidence of hotel staff not asking any questions to individual people booking in for a night, but I'd like a white lie to have as a back-up.

I do have legitimate reasons for needing to leave my rented accommodation but as I said, I don't know if it's enough to get me a room.

This isn't Orwell's 1984 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    interesting to see, theyre starting to really struggle with covid though, some parts worse than ireland

way bigger population though, a lot of big cities where they are living close together compared to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Edgware wrote: »
    An old pal of mine when staying down the country used get the girlfriend to ring the hotel, ask for him, and when told "he's not in his room. Can we leave a message for him?" the girlfriend would say "Yes please, as soon as he returns tell him to contact his office in the Irish Independent urgently"
    For some reason they used get a few freebies

"Yes, definitely, thank you for explicitly mentioning the office he works in. Does he forget often?"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    According to some who work in the industry, they are asking for proof

Kann I haff your Dokumenten bitte?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Had a night away booked in a hotel not far from me with herself, just to do something different than sit in the house. Hotel rang yesterday and said we need to email on a letter from employer to confirm we are essential workers and they need to get it verified...

• Advertisement
Advertisement